Sponsored

Motor Trend Ignition: 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost: SVO Reborn?

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Concentrating on not winding up a 4 cylinder that makes all it's power down low and trying to decide what paddle to hit. Randy operates in a kind of if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. Remember this is a 4 cylinder auto only running 2 seconds slower than a V8 track pack. That is pretty impressive IMO. They are not designed to compete with each other, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Remember it's 12-15K less than an M235 and only 1.5 seconds slower. For $5K it could probably run with a S197 Track Pack. I know I sound like a homer but this is Ford's everyman/woman Mustang. This is the grocery getter version. It's power curve does not suit track work but it obviously is no slouch either. The EcoBoost is the 1966 Secretary's Mustang, the original point of a Pony Car.

Now if he isn't wetting himself in the PP/GT, being a chatty Kathy, giggling, then we can be disappointed.

V6 guys: We get it, you love the V6, Fords marketing plan does not. Still plenty of V6 '14's on the lot. I came of driving age in the time of V8/Turbo 4 Mustangs, coming out of anemic boring inline 6's and even more horrible V6's. Trends, technology, markets all change.

JoeDog, I doubt you have people blocking you, maybe people working, plus no one one this forum likes to read the entire thread.

Edit: Were those Hp/TQ numbers impressively high or did I interpret them wrong?

the fact that it was an auto says it all.. did none of you watch the difference in 1/4 mile times between the EB auto and manual?? it ran a 13.8 compared to the 14.1,14.2. If they ran the EB manual it would have been right up with the 13 GT. no doubt about it.
Sponsored

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They posted a comparo with the Gt, but its not pretty. They put a GT PP against the Camaro SS 1LE and well it didnt go well for the Stang :(
The tires were all the difference. if both cars had the same tread the Gt would have killed it.. the fact that it was faster in the 1/4 mile with that tread says a lot. and the fact that it was so close on the skid pad with much worse tires.. Why do people never compare variables.. LITERALLYYYY in all honestly.. all car comparisons are complete moot if they don't have the same tires on.. its like doing science.. without a constant.. it just doesn't matter. I will never base any statistical info on two cars that are compared unless they have the same exact tires on.. its LITERALLY THE MOST important part of how a car will perform.

constant also meaning "controlled" part of the experiment.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
The control is that they put them on the track exactly as delivered from the factory. Granted when you start talking track days most people will replace them but you can't expect the reviewers to buy an extra set of expensive tires for every car they review, or can you? Also sounds like the gt needs some wider tires up front

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Nope, I still dont see it. For $5k more you get the Brembos, 3.73 rear end, two extra cylinders producing 120HP and 80ft-lbs more...No, if you are shooting for a performance bargain you want a base GT w/ PP. Then there is the question of why would I get a Mustang EB when I can get a faster WRX...The EB goes back to the "meh" column...
if you are talking eb vs gt it is 4 more cyl. and if you compare pp to pp it is 7.5k more..

just keeping the #s correct.

beers

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
if you are talking eb vs gt it is 4 more cyl. and if you compare pp to pp it is 7.5k more..

just keeping the #s correct.

beers
$6671 at X-Plan between a Base ECO/PP and a Base GT/PP. But again I don't know how or why anyone would compare them, they are for two different markets. You guys really need to stop grouping 'Mustang' buyers in the same group, this is now a cross market vehicle. There seems to be many, including the media struggling with this concept.

Sponsored

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I think there are a lot of us cross shopping a loaded EB vs a bare bones GT. I ended with the EB, because I don't see myself spending enough to buy a loaded GT, and I would like the premium features in a DD. Also, 310HP is damn respectable.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
$6671 at X-Plan between a Base ECO/PP and a Base GT/PP. But again I don't know how or why anyone would compare them, they are for two different markets. You guys really need to stop grouping 'Mustang' buyers in the same group, this is now a cross market vehicle. There seems to be many, including the media struggling with this concept.
Cross-shopping a base ECO and a base GT? Probably not. But I am DEFINITELY cross-shopping a loaded ECO and a base GT.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Cross-shopping a base ECO and a base GT? Probably not. But I am DEFINITELY cross-shopping a loaded ECO and a base GT.
Well then it's only a $3187 difference between a base GT PP and a Premium Eco PP. That number shrinks quickly when you start adding options. It quickly goes in favor of the GT but you also have a loaded Eco by that point.

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
was just doing msrp for equal equipped vehicles. why would you do any other way?

hell a loaded EB would be way more than a base gt.. :)

beers

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
How incredibly bad ass would it be if Randy drives the GT PP back to back with the 1LE Camaro in their soon to be released video review of the GT! :thumbsup:
So I watched this yesterday and still haven't seen a thread about it. :shrug: I guess people either don't know it is out or are embarrassed?

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]rTJPDurLEKw[/MEDIA]"]

EDIT: LOL I see now (above) there is a thread going on.