Sponsored

Motor Trend Ignition: 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost: SVO Reborn?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I still think you could get a V6, add some slicks and other PP stuff and then run a comparison.

Or HELL, just get a base EB, get a base V6 and run them for comparisons.

This whole not being able to compare to the V6 because FORD isn't allowing it makes me think that FORD is trying to hide something.

Yeah^, they are hiding the V6... what don't you get?
Sponsored

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
OP
OP

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Hopefully it is one of Randy's more typical drive reviews where he really talks in detail. This one was real disappointing from that aspect.
Thank you. I said the same thing at the beginning of the thread, but a lot of my posts/comments seem to be getting ignored lately. I'm starting to wonder if I've somehow ticked people off and they have blocked me or something.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
It seems like he wrote it off early on... he didn't seem too positive about it from a performance aspect.
Concentrating on not winding up a 4 cylinder that makes all it's power down low and trying to decide what paddle to hit. Randy operates in a kind of if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. Remember this is a 4 cylinder auto only running 2 seconds slower than a V8 track pack. That is pretty impressive IMO. They are not designed to compete with each other, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Remember it's 12-15K less than an M235 and only 1.5 seconds slower. For $5K it could probably run with a S197 Track Pack. I know I sound like a homer but this is Ford's everyman/woman Mustang. This is the grocery getter version. It's power curve does not suit track work but it obviously is no slouch either. The EcoBoost is the 1966 Secretary's Mustang, the original point of a Pony Car.

Now if he isn't wetting himself in the PP/GT, being a chatty Kathy, giggling, then we can be disappointed.

V6 guys: We get it, you love the V6, Fords marketing plan does not. Still plenty of V6 '14's on the lot. I came of driving age in the time of V8/Turbo 4 Mustangs, coming out of anemic boring inline 6's and even more horrible V6's. Trends, technology, markets all change.

JoeDog, I doubt you have people blocking you, maybe people working, plus no one one this forum likes to read the entire thread.

Edit: Were those Hp/TQ numbers impressively high or did I interpret them wrong?

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I was left with this impression tho.
McKayla.png

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I don't see why Probst should get that excited about this car; this is basically the base model Mustang for the future. The V6 won't be around in a couple years.

Not saying it's not a nice car, but most of the Ecoboost reviews and impressions have been fairly consistent in that it's a nice daily driving sporty car but doesn't offer much of a thrill factor compared to the GT.

In other words, a 'base' car

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Concentrating on not winding up a 4 cylinder that makes all it's power down low and trying to decide what paddle to hit. Randy operates in a kind of if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. Remember this is a 4 cylinder auto only running 2 seconds slower than a V8 track pack. That is pretty impressive IMO. They are not designed to compete with each other, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Remember it's 12-15K less than an M235 and only 1.5 seconds slower. For $5K it could probably run with a S197 Track Pack. I know I sound like a homer but this is Ford's everyman/woman Mustang. This is the grocery getter version. It's power curve does not suit track work but it obviously is no slouch either. The EcoBoost is the 1966 Secretary's Mustang, the original point of a Pony Car.

Now if he isn't wetting himself in the PP/GT, being a chatty Kathy, giggling, then we can be disappointed.

V6 guys: We get it, you love the V6, Fords marketing plan does not. Still plenty of V6 '14's on the lot. I came of driving age in the time of V8/Turbo 4 Mustangs, coming out of anemic boring inline 6's and even more horrible V6's. Trends, technology, markets all change.

JoeDog, I doubt you have people blocking you, maybe people working, plus no one one this forum likes to read the entire thread.

+1 to your statement up above in bold. I also hope this GT PP drive is out this week.

Sponsored

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Yeah !!! been waiting for this review, thanks Motor Trend...but I would like to see even more more more !!! hahah. Maybe Randy will really talk more and provide more feedback when he hot laps the GT !

svtenthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
The car seemed really lethargic acceleration wise coming out of the turns, which is confirmed with the lack of top end on the dyno. But the overall track time seems impressive when compared to the other vehicle's times. I think it may have just been a little boring for him which I felt the same when watching the video of his track run.

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
How incredibly bad ass would it be if Randy drives the GT PP back to back with the 1LE Camaro in their soon to be released video review of the GT! :thumbsup:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR

Exactly....all of this.

Not saying it's not a nice car, but most of the Ecoboost reviews and impressions have been fairly consistent in that it's a nice daily driving sporty car but doesn't offer much of a thrill factor compared to the GT.

In other words, a 'base' car
I've been saying this from the beginning, but people continue to be delusional with the EB into thinking it's intent is to be a "performance" car. No it's intent is as Tim said, it's the every person's car just like the Mustang when it was first released.

In intent, the EB is actually more Mustang than the V8 due to how much less affordable the V8 is becoming. Very unfortunate I might add, as I believe they should have a stripper model with a much less quality interior, features and limited colors (Say Red, Silver, Black, White, Blue, and maybe yellow) for those that don't care for all models. Could you imagine a 22k EB or a 28-29k GT? I think those prices could be attained, I'm just not sure how they should, or could package the car to attain those lower numbers.

By stripper I mean, AC, radio/cd player, maybe a couple less airbags, and maybe a dreaded open diff (if it could keep costs at a lower price point) any other suggestions that would reduce the price? Also, just to clarify my point in calling it a stripper is not to intend stripped for race use, only price.
Sponsored