Lean at WOT

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Could this leaning out at WOT be a symptom of bad E85?

Mind you, I wasn’t having this issue on 93 at WOT. But not sure if there is a correlation there or not. Just assuming I’d be leaning out at WOT with 93 as well.
No. There is no such thing as "BAD" E85...... IF left open to the environment, alcohol evaporates faster than gasoline. Therefore, your Ethanol % would drop, creating less demand from you fuel system.
Sponsored

xGarage5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
16’ Mustang GT 5.0/V8
Good to know. Appreciate the feedback man.

Just trying to get a better understanding of the situation. As for fuel pump & hose size, I didn’t think this would be necessary with my current set up. But I can always upgrade.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No. There is no such thing as "BAD" E85...... IF left open to the environment, alcohol evaporates faster than gasoline. Therefore, your Ethanol % would drop, creating less demand from you fuel system.
It can separate the base chemicals that keep the ethanol dissolved in the us gasoline. When it gets like that the car won't crank.

Left unchecked inside of a fuel those chemicals can plug up injectors.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It can separate the base chemicals that keep the ethanol dissolved in the us gasoline. When it gets like that the car won't crank.

Left unchecked inside of a fuel those chemicals can plug up injectors.
We are talking massive amounts of open air environment here........Separation takes MONTHS upon MONTHS to even separate. 12 months minimum.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
We are talking massive amounts of open air environment here........Separation takes MONTHS upon MONTHS to even separate. 12 months minimum.
U sure? I mean, I've seen cars sit for one month and wouldn't start without a fuel flush, and 2.5 months to destroy ID2600s.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
U sure? I mean, I've seen cars sit for one month and wouldn't start without a fuel flush, and 2.5 months to destroy ID2600s.
Are you sure that wasn't methanol?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you sure that wasn't methanol?
First experience I was there, buddy said he didn't crank it for a month we flushed it put in fresh from the pump e started up immediately.

Second experience was more secondhand. Car never would start in the shop. Came back two weeks later and the owner showed me the injectors. They where not opening. Said he sent them out for cleaning and that didn't work either. Pump e here too different state though.

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good call. I checked it and voltage was good, also did the old screw driver trick to listen to them and they are all clicking as they should.

Found someone to clean and test them locally this Wednesday hopefully this corrects it. Although I’m feeling skeptical.

Could this leaning out at WOT be a symptom of bad E85?

Mind you, I wasn’t having this issue on 93 at WOT. But not sure if there is a correlation there or not. Just assuming I’d be leaning out at WOT with 93 as well.
It could be bad E yes. BUT with bad E your knock sensors are more likely to go crazy because the Ethanol mixture doesn't have enough octane.

E85 is going to use around 30% more fuel than 93 so you won't see the same issues in regards to fueling unless something is really messed up. My fueling was perfect on 93 even when my wiring was a mess. It just doesn't use quite as much.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That’s just rubbish. We’ve had cars sit with E85 for 6 months every winter and fire right up for years on end. if a car won’t fire after a mere 30 days of sitting, somethings seriously fubared.

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think by "bad E85" he means when the pump isn't quite at 85% ethanol. There's a bunch of E85 stations near me and one of them is consistently between 85%-90% and I've never once seen it below 75% so it's safe to say that you'll get pretty good E from there (Propel). However, just one exit down the freeway there's another station that also has E and I have never seen it even reach 85% (Shell but the E comes from Pearson Fuels). I go there a lot less because the Propel station is usually spot on, but the few times I've went it's usually below 60% with the highest I've ever seen being 72%. I would consider anything below 75% to be bad E.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My car sat for 3 weeks and she struggled to start lol eventually we got there but yeah, leaving E to sit is no joke.

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My car sat for 3 weeks and she struggled to start lol eventually we got there but yeah, leaving E to sit is no joke.
It was also 25 degrees outside which could have also been the culprit.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That’s just rubbish. We’ve had cars sit with E85 for 6 months every winter and fire right up for years on end. if a car won’t fire after a mere 30 days of sitting, somethings seriously fubared.
Dunno I saw it though, I don't think for a second that all formulations are the same. I do think something was wrong in both cases. It just so happened to be the same shit.

Do you think it's full tank vs 1/2 full? When my car sits I always fill the tank.

Btw do you know someone who will tune straight methanol on a coyote? I want that guy's name.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think by "bad E85" he means when the pump isn't quite at 85% ethanol. There's a bunch of E85 stations near me and one of them is consistently between 85%-90% and I've never once seen it below 75% so it's safe to say that you'll get pretty good E from there (Propel). However, just one exit down the freeway there's another station that also has E and I have never seen it even reach 85% (Shell but the E comes from Pearson Fuels). I go there a lot less because the Propel station is usually spot on, but the few times I've went it's usually below 60% with the highest I've ever seen being 72%. I would consider anything below 75% to be bad E.
That’s the problem with educating people of fuels and the meaning of them. No fuels are “bad” currently at the pump. Why would you consider an Ethanol/gasoline blend “bad” at under 75% ethanol? Do you even know why? Just because a certain station or pump has less % of Ethanol content doesn’t mean it’s “bad” fuel. Technically, I would consider a E70% fuel “better” than E85.

1…. Because it’s less demanding on my fuel system.
2…. Because it’s less prone to any water absorption (nothing to worry about anyway in todays sealed fuel systems)
3…. Because I can still reach my spark timing cap on 70%.

xGarage5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
16’ Mustang GT 5.0/V8
It could be bad E yes. BUT with bad E your knock sensors are more likely to go crazy because the Ethanol mixture doesn't have enough octane.

E85 is going to use around 30% more fuel than 93 so you won't see the same issues in regards to fueling unless something is really messed up. My fueling was perfect on 93 even when my wiring was a mess. It just doesn't use quite as much.

That makes a lot of sense. Well let’s see what injector flow testing concludes.

I’m also trying to see fuel pressure (FRP) on my nguage but for some reason it’s not being read/recorded. Logs show it but they’re empty.
Sponsored