GT3 @ Le Mans

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you look at the average owner, a decent driver in a clapped out Sentra could outrun either.
I had a sentra circa 1980 or something. 4 or 5 speed, I forget. Fun little car.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Trolling I see. The 24 is pretty much the same as the 23. The 23 runs a 7:17ish at the Ring. The Gtd will be considerably under 7, most likely in the 6:40’s.

I dunno.. I think the 2024 Porsche 911 Turbo S would rip it a new one.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
This is the video that anyone that cares about the GTD/GT3 Mustang should watch. Larry Holt from Multimatic, is extremely comfortable here in breaking everything down.

Regarding cost...amortizing a run of only a few thousand cars, development, manufacturing, government mandated testing - gets pricey very quickly. Ford has their margin, as does Multimatic. 325k isn't a lot considering all of that. You can see where Ford/Multimatic spent the money and where the budget wasn't that great, ie, the interior. Car is a legitimate monster. I'd buy two if I could.
NO THESE ARE THE VIDEOS TO WATCH! The next video talks about the engine, sounds so good.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
NO THESE ARE THE VIDEOS TO WATCH! The next video talks about the engine, sounds so good.
Yea, that whole video series was nice to watch. But when you want the skinny, nobody hits harder than Larry. Dude is a genius and the brains behind much of this car, the Ford GT, you name it.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Incorrect. They've been really struggling in IMSA and WEC. If you can point to a previous finish that would hint at a LeMans podium, I'm all ears. They were able to have some pace with 1 car in qualifying, but it's their first year with this car. I promise you it's been a tough go.
Some of that is true, but there was a BOP adjustment and the pre 24 was quite impressive.

The results speak for themselves

@Epiphany has been keeping tabs on it as well

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special

Got to hear them in person at the Detroit GP, the GT3's in person sound glorious to the point I actually was mistaking them for the Prototype cars that were running that weekend. Nothing on the grid in the GTD/GTD Pro Classes sounded like them. The only other car that really sounded unique in the IMSA classes (to my ears at least) was the 911's that were there.

Edit: Detroit GP weekend photo thread posted in the non mustang section (I had way more pics but given the content being all race cars felt it was better posted there):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2024-detroit-grand-prix-photo-round-up.202630/

SCE05495.jpg

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Some of that is true, but there was a BOP adjustment and the pre 24 was quite impressive.

The results speak for themselves

@Epiphany has been keeping tabs on it as well
Having followed the BOP since this car showed up, I think the cars were all given a shot and not necessarily held back by the rule book. There has definitely been a learning curve in terms of development but the car had improved in WEC at just the right time. Larry made some comments about the high center of gravity hurting the cars at times and that he was surprised as well at how well it did in qualifying. Multimatic definitely nailed this one and Proton took the ball and ran with it.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
BoP for Lemans:

The Ford Mustang GT3 has seen its weight go up by 9 kg to 1327 kg, but this has been accompanied by a two percent power increase.
--------------------------------------------

To be fair, I doubt the weight hurt them, because I don't think they were able to get to minimum before. The power increase will be a gain, especially at LeMans, but it doesn't help the handling.

They are struggling with the handling of the car. If you watched the in-car, it was easy enough to see. I don't need a press release to tell me how perfect the balance is....it's not. Those guys are working. It has a big aero understeer and if they try to drive through it, then it gets nasty snappy. That snappiness is there out of Mulsanne, Arnage and the slow chicanes as well, although the front side of the slow corners look better. The guys in the Ferrari GT3's are running the same times chatting on the cell phone with a bowl of pasta in their lap. Proton and the drivers had to be patient and smart in really nasty conditions to pull off this finish. It was impressive.

At the end of the day, I'm saying this is their first year and they're racing at a really high level with very stiff competition. Enjoy the good finish, but don't expect it to be common thing and don't get down on them if it's not.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Enjoy the good finish, but don't expect it to be common thing and don't get down on them if it's not.
I would ask why you think that. You don’t think they saw the same things you did (and probably more)? You don’t think they’ll make adjustments? Just trying to figure out your logic behind that statement.

Im not the smartest dude when it comes to some of this stuff, but seems to me that FP, Multimatic and Proton won’t want to settle for just a podium finish. I would expect they make tweaks so that it is a common occurrence and hopefully with a few W’s in there. Or maybe I’m the one that’s way off base…

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I would ask why you think that. You don’t think they saw the same things you did (and probably more)? You don’t think they’ll make adjustments? Just trying to figure out your logic behind that statement.

Im not the smartest dude when it comes to some of this stuff, but seems to me that FP, Multimatic and Proton won’t want to settle for just a podium finish. I would expect they make tweaks so that it is a common occurrence and hopefully with a few W’s in there. Or maybe I’m the one that’s way off base…
He is just trolling (like usual). That is an absurd thing to say.
Sponsored