Not open for further replies.

JB60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
Anyone switched from GT to Ecoboost , is insurance cheaper ? I daily drive 2023 GT 6 speed manual , really like the car but insurance and gas is breaking me. Doubt it will ever happen considering 2018 -2020 Ecoboost convertible . I'm 64 year old truck driver so big horsepower isn't big deal to me anymore .
Sponsored

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I went the opposite way, ecoboost pp to a gt. Really, gas was bot that dramatically different. My ecoboost got 26 mpg consistently, my gt gets 22 mpg. Both were my daily driversā€¦
Insurance is more with the GT.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I went the opposite way, ecoboost pp to a gt. Really, gas was bot that dramatically different. My ecoboost got 26 mpg consistently, my gt gets 22 mpg. Both were my daily driversā€¦
Insurance is more with the GT.
the hardest part about a GT is keeping your foot out of it. if you do that she gets good mpg's.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I strongly believe this thread is an insult to life itself

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
the hardest part about a GT is keeping your foot out of it. if you do that she gets good mpg's.
I was shocked at how well my mileage is. Im in maine, and 26 mile drive to work, i go ā€˜backroadsā€™ and the average speed is 45-55 miles per hour and not a ton of stopsā€¦ mileage is fantastic!

Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
It's been said many times - with the Ecoboost engines you can have the "Eco" or the "Boost" - but not both at the same time. I test-drove an Ecoboost before I found the Mustang I have now. The 2.3L turbo was no slouch, but the V8 is, as my mom would have said, "gooder".

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
It's been said many times - with the Ecoboost engines you can have the "Eco" or the "Boost" - but not both at the same time. I test-drove an Ecoboost before I found the Mustang I have now. The 2.3L turbo was no slouch, but the V8 is, as my mom would have said, "gooder".
Agreed, my ecoboost was great, quick fun to drive and reasonably good on gasā€¦.

it was just the EVERY time i started it, i had a tinge of sadness that it sounded like a 4 cylinderā€¦. The car was great and the twin turbos were super quickkkk, but i wanted to hear the engine roar, not the turbo whooshā€¦.

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
OP, I went from EB PP to GT PP and I've definitely seen a difference in mileage. Full disclosure, though, the majority of my ownership of the EB was in the Midwest, where it's super flat just about everywhere. I've owned the GT in NC, where there are a lot more hills. That aside, you'll likely see an improvement in mileage if you stay away from the performance package versions of the EB since they do get more aggressive gearing than those without, just like the GTs. Insurance is definitely cheaper for the EB.

As someone mentioned earlier, the EB is plenty powerful even if it's not GT power. Since HP is less concerning to you, I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with it. It's a lot easier to have fun with the EB on the road than the GT since you're pretty much breaking the law everywhere before leaving 2nd gear in the GT when it's time for fun (at least, that's what I've found to be the case). The EB has more room for winding out the gears before you get yourself in trouble.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Anyone switched from GT to Ecoboost , is insurance cheaper ? I daily drive 2023 GT 6 speed manual , really like the car but insurance and gas is breaking me. Doubt it will ever happen considering 2018 -2020 Ecoboost convertible . I'm 64 year old truck driver so big horsepower isn't big deal to me anymore .
If you want to safe and still drive a Mustang, the ECO is a really good choice. I had one a couple years back, convertible as well, fantastic car. Got awesome mileage and insurance was ok too. No one knows its a 4 cyl. And it was pretty fast, had lots of fun with it.

sdskinner73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 premium GT A10 3.55s
Donā€™t do it. I went from a 10 speed 19 GT to a 16 ecoboost for that reason. Didnā€™t save enough to really matter. My insurance was actually higher on the EB (and yes, I shopped around). Boring as hell. Just got back into a GT 2018 10 speed. My insurance went down $23. Car payment went up $190. The difference is gas is about an extra tank a month. The difference of less than $250 is not worth it IMO. If gas is your biggest problem, youā€™re driving the wrong type of car in general. That may be something to consider unfortunately.

Sponsored

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
I strongly believe this thread is an insult to life itself
Possibly the funniest thing I've ever read here, and true.

Why would you buy an 8 cylinder sports car when worried about insurance and gas prices?

Go with a practical vehicle until you can afford a fun car, I'm not a truck guy at all, but love our Maverick as a 4th vehicle. It's cheap, practical and gets good mileage.

Mark23GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 10 Speed Grabber Blue
there would not be much difference in gas cost or insurance cost between the two, especially on insurance at your age. I had an ecoboost for about a month or 2 then traded for a GT. GT is much better choice in sound and engine and probably holds value better and those ecoboost blow up sometimes and do not sound good even with an exhaust as I had put a MBRP on the ecoboost i had.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Possibly the funniest thing I've ever read here, and true.

Why would you buy an 8 cylinder sports car when worried about insurance and gas prices?

Go with a practical vehicle until you can afford a fun car, I'm not a truck guy at all, but love our Maverick as a 4th vehicle. It's cheap, practical and gets good mileage.
Personally I agree with you but we don't know the situation OP is in. Need to respect their inquiry as they obviously wanted genuine responses to their thought.

@JB60 By switching from GT to Ecoboost you will certainly save more on gas expense but the insurance will be marginally different. My guess is it will be a difference of hundreds of dollars per year. You should pick a specific ecoboost model that you find interesting and use that car as a "what if" quote with your insurace provider to see how much you will save.

I would caution you from making this switch because you will probably loose money in depreciation on your V8 and still have to pay a retail price for a 4 cyl. I do not see you coming out that much ahead financially but you need to do this calculation for yourself. If the expenses are too much for you, you may need to look at other sporty cars that isn't a mustang as your solution.
Best of luck. āœŒ

Last edited:

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I have a 2021 Ecoboost convertible and love it. Added a intercooler and a cobb stage 2 tune and its day and night better then the stock car. Both were easy swaps and not expensive.
And its an extremely car to drive.
Just did a road trip driving 80+ MPH and was getting 30 MPG

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If the expenses are too much for you, you may need to look at other sporty cars that isn't a mustang as your solution.
Really good point here. I think OP would see considerably more savings in something different, like a GR86 or a Miata. Smaller, lighter weight so the power to weight ratio is still good. The GR86 is a fun little car, my brother in law has one.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.