Status
Not open for further replies.

Zent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT Premium
The eco boost doesn’t get significantly better mpg

mustang is meant for v8. The eco boost does not drive or feel the same at all.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The eco boost doesn’t get significantly better mpg

mustang is meant for v8. The eco boost does not drive or feel the same at all.
25% is significant.

STFU, Dude. Ford has put smaller engines in the Mustang since day 1 and turbo 4 cylinders since 1979. If it weren't for so many Eco's being made, the Coyote probably wouldn't exist. There's plenty of room for both.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
25% is significant.

STFU, Dude. Ford has put smaller engines in the Mustang since day 1 and turbo 4 cylinders since 1979. If it weren't for so many Eco's being made, the Coyote probably wouldn't exist. There's plenty of room for both.
The SVO mustang was faster then the GT years ago :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The eco boost does not drive or feel the same at all
It drives better, funner. It's lighter in the nose and more responsive. You can thrash it as hard as you like and stay legal. With 5.0 the play window is much smaller.

The only time I got dramatically better mileage was small throttle, steady state highway cruise. But all the built up gains evaporated in short order after coming off the interstate.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I was shocked at how well my mileage is. Im in maine, and 26 mile drive to work, i go ‘backroads’ and the average speed is 45-55 miles per hour and not a ton of stops… mileage is fantastic!
Yes, I was greatly surprised as well. I got about 29 mpg from Utah to Vegas, but I suspect my base GT with the A10 is the reason as the rear gearing is 3.15. But, it's still fun when you punch it as it does rev up fairly quickly with the A10 ratios (of course I wouldn't get that kind of fuel mileage if I did that going down to Vegas).

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Love my GT and that’s why I bought it. I don’t drive it everyday so fuel cost is a nonissue for me. To the OP I suspect by the time you factor in depreciation on your current car and taxes etc. on the next one the actual savings may not be as good as it seems.

But if it’s about getting a vert go for it. :)

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
My Ford calibration for my GT actually added 2 mpg. 😆 So I got lucky with that benefit.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The only time I got dramatically better mileage was small throttle, steady state highway cruise. But all the built up gains evaporated in short order after coming off the interstate.
I do 2-5 hour trips all the time. It gets up to 29 at 75-80 mph.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
I average 32/33 mpg on the interstates in my eco and the best I have gotten with all the mods listed on my signature is 35.5 mpg on the 2022 Hot Rod Power tour from Memphis to Nashville on I-40 at 75 mph. Around town I average 25/26 mpg with a combo of light throttle and spirited driving. I have a buddy with a 06 GT with the 4.6 motor and a tune and my eco out runs it in the 1/4 by over half a second so no it will not beat a coyote at the upper end but from a stop light it is side by side till about 60-70 mph.

Plenty fun to drive for most people.

BD

Sponsored

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
In my experience, having multiple GT vert version test drives before model decision, and weeks of loaners while EB HPP in shop, mostly for 10R80, they are two completely different experiences.

Fuel consumption is similar day-to-day. EB engine bay is wide open, plenty of ventilation, easy to do anything quickly. GT is opposite.

EB HPP is a joy on twisties. It's quiet in quiet mode so great for leisure cruising at any speed with low speed razor throttle response and acceleration in town 0-50 while remaining stealth, where GT frustratingly lags then bursts making it difficult for assertive cut and thrust (manual would solve this) incl direction change heft, and very loud on throttle attracting attention though great advance notice for urban cyclists in the middle of the lane.

GT exhaust and thrust is smiles and giggles. Highway speed acceleration 70-140+ is superb while EB sucks can't even high way roll race Q5S or many other SUV, especially at high elevations.

IMO GT feels like an old school high end Mercedes or BMW coupe, even 928 with loud exhaust and budget interior. Priceless.

All depends on what you're after....both are true Grand Turismo.

EB will have marginally lower opcosts mainly related to consumables (tires especially) maybe insurance but has zero giggles and snorts.

quirkynature

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT PP 'Vert
Anyone switched from GT to Ecoboost , is insurance cheaper ? I daily drive 2023 GT 6 speed manual , really like the car but insurance and gas is breaking me. Doubt it will ever happen considering 2018 -2020 Ecoboost convertible . I'm 64 year old truck driver so big horsepower isn't big deal to me anymore .
I went from a 2018 EcoBoost convertible to a 2021 GT convertible to so I feel obligated to chime in.

Yes, your insurance will be cheaper by quite a bit. Yes, gas is also cheaper for a few reasons -
  1. 2.3 simply drinks less than a 5.0 (sure does if you're just cruising and staying out of boost AKA below 1800 RPM, then it's just peachy)
  2. The urge to floor it in a 2.3 is less because there's less of a sound factor (was for me, anyhow)
  3. You can arguably even opt for 87 gas instead of 91 on the Eco and still be fine for just cruising around
Mate - it's your money and your stress. If getting an Eco lessens it, who cares what others think?

It's a quieter ride (crank up some songs if you want), lighter ride (already mentioned - 2.3 is lighter than the 5.0 by a bit, and you do feel the weight difference), dropping the top at a stoplight on a 70 degree day never gets old (stay in your metal box, suckers!), and - most importantly - you'll have a few benjis left over to wipe your tears dry whenever you miss the 5.0.

Or throw in some mods to take the slop out of the rear and you've got a confident corner carver while also being a relaxed boulevard cruiser.

Hope the decision you make makes you happy!

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
I had an eco before my GT and I really miss how quiet the eco was. When I’m lead footing around town with the GT, everybody knows it. With the eco, I could drive like a menace without alerting the neighborhood and I always appreciated that about it.
I drove that eco everywhere and I wouldn’t feel bad about getting back into one if something happened to the GT.
AE62D634-6E63-4289-AA13-918C048633D8.jpeg

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
It drives better, funner. It's lighter in the nose and more responsive. You can thrash it as hard as you like and stay legal. With 5.0 the play window is much smaller.
Hmmm, IDK. I feel like I can get to illegal pretty quick in mine. In fact, I'm almost always fighting my urge to go there. But... I don't go there too often. Still, I always feel like I'm holding my EB back a little. I don't know how the V8 owners do it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.