ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
I would not run a 20 weight oil on a supercharged application. I know Jmag is having good results so far, but it just scares me to have that thin of an oil in a car you are beating on like I do. I run 5w 50 Castrol and I have heard that 50 weight shears down to 40 weight pretty quickly in boosted applications. I can't imagine what a 20 weight oil does. I have way too much money and time tied up in this motor to feel good about going thin on the oil. YRMV.
Again, i was not recommending anyone to go the way i am with the oil. I have my reasons and I'll take my chances. If I were to go up at all it would only be to 5w-30, but we will see how the next batch in my catch can looks. Last batch was way too thin but oil on dipstick still felt right/good.
Sponsored

TruBlu77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I think based on everyone's comments on oil that I will move up one level in weight from 5w-20 to 5w-30 after the ESS install. I'm pretty much going to drive the car normally 90 - 95% of the time (which could certainly raise the question of why I'm installing an SC in the first place). I know the Voodoo and Predator engines need 5w-50 for the flat-plane crank, but will need to do a bit more research on how an SC thins out oil in an engine.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think based on everyone's comments on oil that I will move up one level in weight from 5w-20 to 5w-30 after the ESS install. I'm pretty much going to drive the car normally 90 - 95% of the time (which could certainly raise the question of why I'm installing an SC in the first place). I know the Voodoo and Predator engines need 5w-50 for the flat-plane crank, but will need to do a bit more research on how an SC thins out oil in an engine.
Here is some "light" reading on shear.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2014-01-1483/

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
A 5w-50 is still 5w at cold-start. I run Mobil 1 5w-50 without issue over the last year since I went ESS. Also, the GT500 Predator engine is NOT flat-plane and they use 5w-50 with less power than I am making.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to swap my vortech v3 si, which has done me well to keep 720 rwhp and 598 tq. Looking to make more power AND more tq, maybe in the 900rwhp and 750+ tq range. Can anyone provide guidance on either going with the G3 or G4 (inclined to G4)- and what pulley recommendation? Car lives on race gas - never pump. Also, i only see a 4.5' intercooler, does ESS have a larger intercooler than that as an upgrade option?

thanks
A G3 and 100mm should get you close to 900. But if I were you I’d do the G3X and run a smaller pulley just to be sure. I can’t speak on the G4, not a lot of guys run that. The G3R seems to be much better than the G3 and could be an option as well.

Sponsored

TruBlu77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
A 5w-50 is still 5w at cold-start. I run Mobil 1 5w-50 without issue over the last year since I went ESS. Also, the GT500 Predator engine is NOT flat-plane and they use 5w-50 with less power than I am making.
You're right, JMeiers - my bad on the Predator engine classification. Thanks for the correction.

TruBlu77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I've been throwing a lot of questions to Brevin at ESS in trying to determine which supercharger kit to get. One of the things I haven't asked yet is what he'd recommend for oil weight after installing the kit. I may ask him to see what he comes back with.

Scott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 2008 Mustang GT/CS, 1970 Boss 302
Vehicle Showcase
Finished my install. Nothing left to do but enjoy!

IMG_9979.JPG

Brevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT
I've been throwing a lot of questions to Brevin at ESS in trying to determine which supercharger kit to get. One of the things I haven't asked yet is what he'd recommend for oil weight after installing the kit. I may ask him to see what he comes back with.
I run 5W50 in my personal car. I live in PHX and deal with the heat. I usually recommend 5W50 or 5W40 in boosted applications.

TruBlu77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Finished my install. Nothing left to do but enjoy!

IMG_9979.JPG
Absolutely gorgeous, Scott! Orange Fury is one of my favorite colors that Ford has ever made. I have similar strut tower covers to yours, but don't have any color on them. Got them off of Ebay. Were you able to buy them color-matched or did you have a shop spray them?

Sponsored

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
So in this very article, it says to keep the two numbers closer together as to prevent shear to the base oil used. The second number is based off the additives resisting shear. (If i read that article correctly)
So a 10-50 would be better than a 5-50 oil for shear purposes. However, i don't know what that does to your valvetrain on startup. Or one could go to the age old 20-50 weight which takes an hour to drain a quart into the engine 😂 (exaggeration for humor)
At which point, it sounds like i personally could benefit from some Lucas oil stabilizer(or some form of oil additive for shear resistance, I'll do more research today), i haven't checked the properties to see if it's the CPO or HCI or whatever it was in the second article about which polymer was better. But I'll be way more willing to throw in an additive than I'm willing to change the entire engine's oil to a higher weight.
As
As always, thanks for the info. Also fun note, he said that the synthetic oil and the mineral oil has the same flow rate so that's fun. But he never elaborated on the shear resistance. But given the factory oil is a synthetic blend. IMO that's why i like it so much. It's the best of both worlds

edit: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LUC11097
This seems like a good investment to go with lower oil viscosities, for those of us running thinner oil

Last edited:

CUL8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT vert. PP1, 401A, AE, 6spd, ESS G2/G3
Hey all,

Just received a Ford recall notice for the BCM module. Apparently it needs a configuration change. Would this in any way affect our custom ESS tunes? Doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!!

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
Hey all,

Just received a Ford recall notice for the BCM module. Apparently it needs a configuration change. Would this in any way affect our custom ESS tunes? Doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!!
I believe it does as they will re-flash the module. But realistically this is a better question for your custom tuner. If you have an A10, I'm sure the BCM does a lot more with it. All the CAN buses are connected one way or another, as they need to talk to each other. You reset one of their brains, it's going to be confused I'm sure

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So in this very article, it says to keep the two numbers closer together as to prevent shear to the base oil used. The second number is based off the additives resisting shear. (If i read that article correctly)
So a 10-50 would be better than a 5-50 oil for shear purposes. However, i don't know what that does to your valvetrain on startup. Or one could go to the age old 20-50 weight which takes an hour to drain a quart into the engine 😂 (exaggeration for humor)
At which point, it sounds like i personally could benefit from some Lucas oil stabilizer(or some form of oil additive for shear resistance, I'll do more research today), i haven't checked the properties to see if it's the CPO or HCI or whatever it was in the second article about which polymer was better. But I'll be way more willing to throw in an additive than I'm willing to change the entire engine's oil to a higher weight.
As
As always, thanks for the info. Also fun note, he said that the synthetic oil and the mineral oil has the same flow rate so that's fun. But he never elaborated on the shear resistance. But given the factory oil is a synthetic blend. IMO that's why i like it so much. It's the best of both worlds

edit: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LUC11097
This seems like a good investment to go with lower oil viscosities, for those of us running thinner oil
Viscosity in fluid terms, is the fluids ability to hold a shape. Think about syrup in a drinking glass. If you turned the glass upside down and put it on a table really quickly, then picked up the glass, and the syrup didn't stick to the glass, it would maintain the shape of the glass for a little bit before deforming and flattening out on the table. If you did the same thing with a glass of water, it would hold the shape of the glass for a lot less time then the syrup would. The syrup has more viscosity. In laymens terms, its thicker. Well, which of those two viscosities do you think would maintain a fluid barrier when subjected to pressure, better? There's a point where the viscosity of a lubricant becomes too thick to be beneficial, but I don't believe we are approaching it at a 5w-50 weight.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
Viscosity in fluid terms, is the fluids ability to hold a shape. Think about syrup in a drinking glass. If you turned the glass upside down and put it on a table really quickly, then picked up the glass, and the syrup didn't stick to the glass, it would maintain the shape of the glass for a little bit before deforming and flattening out on the table. If you did the same thing with a glass of water, it would hold the shape of the glass for a lot less time then the syrup would. The syrup has more viscosity. In laymens terms, its thicker. Well, which of those two viscosities do you think would maintain a fluid barrier when subjected to pressure, better? There's a point where the viscosity of a lubricant becomes too thick to be beneficial, but I don't believe we are approaching it at a 5w-50 weight.
Shear resistance and viscosity are two different things expressed in a similar environment. The oil guy stated that the Viscosity Improvers are what are left after the base oil is sheared. At which point, you could fill the entire 8qt pan with straight Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer if you think that more viscous is better all the time. (I know you don't as you stated too thick is a problem) but that begs the question, why not run 5 quarts of 5w-50 and three quarts of heavy duty stabilizer which has a rating of 112 Cst's? Wouldn't that be even better??
Or why not run age old 20w-50 like a Harley Davidson. Talk about resisting shear and thermal breakdown
Sponsored