Sponsored

Cruising at 3k RPM daily - Safe?

volinbham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT convertible
New to the forum - future owner of GT convert (16) with manual.

Just had to chime in. I've had 2 Boxsters that have a similar RPM range. Drove around at 3K rpms frequently since that's where the power band was. I didn't do it in traffic but if I'm on a back road and I want instant access to the power 3K it was. Made it quite easy to drive with limited throttle input and adjust speed as conditions allow. For the Boxsters this was either 2nd gear for 30 - 40 mph zones or 3rd gear for 40 - 55 mph zones.

Will probably do the same with the Mustang. Downshifting is fine but unless there's excessive drone, engine braking, etc. I see no problem with running at the beginning of the torque power band.

Cheers
Sponsored

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
i've been more cognizant of my RPMs while driving here recently, and it seems that I am around 2000 to 2500 typically. I also tend to shift close to 3800 when taking off from a stop, and shifting from rolling around 3000. Man this car is so loud, I could have sworn I was shifting higher and cruising higher.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
After reading this thread, I paid attention to how I'm driving through town. In a 35 zone I have to cruise around 2800-3000 RPM (shit, cannot remember what gear I was in now, but I think 3rd). If I go up a gear, the car lugs and won't get out of it's own way. I do have 3:55 rears.
Now if there was no traffic, not a problem cruising at 35 in 4th. If someone jumps in front of me, I have to slow down, down shift, bla bla bla.... I just keep it in 3rd.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After reading this thread, I paid attention to how I'm driving through town. In a 35 zone I have to cruise around 2800-3000 RPM (shit, cannot remember what gear I was in now, but I think 3rd). If I go up a gear, the car lugs and won't get out of it's own way. I do have 3:55 rears.
Now if there was no traffic, not a problem cruising at 35 in 4th. If someone jumps in front of me, I have to slow down, down shift, bla bla bla.... I just keep it in 3rd.
Won't get out of its own way in 4th @ 35 mph? You for real? Man, why didn't someone tell me every busy road was a drag strip.

If I keep it in 3rd @ ~3000 rpm and go WOT, I'm up someone's backside in a matter of a couple seconds. There is no point at all to be in a gear lower than what gets me to the 1500-2000 rpm range when maintaining speed.

OP
OP

dab86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Won't get out of its own way in 4th @ 35 mph? You for real? Man, why didn't someone tell me every busy road was a drag strip.

If I keep it in 3rd @ ~3000 rpm and go WOT, I'm up someone's backside in a matter of a couple seconds. There is no point at all to be in a gear lower than what gets me to the 1500-2000 rpm range when maintaining speed.
The car simply does not make a lot of power in the 1500-2k rpm range. It feels very sluggish and slow. 2500-3K i feel is a perfect cruising speed and shifting at 4 or 4.5K or hell even 5k rpm. UNLESS your on a highway cursing a far distance. Then Ill go into 6th gear.

If you drive constantly at 1500 RPM around town its really not worth having the GT model. Its a waste of the cars potential. Theses engines run best in the power band. We have a 7000 RPM redline.

Im not talking about street racing either. Just enjoy the power of V8 while staying in compliance with the law.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Double checked my numbers on the way home. 2500 RPM's in 4th. Tried to cruise at 1500 and I was in 5th at 35 or 40. And yes, it was a pig trying to get out of its own way without dropping down into a lower gear. Absolutely flat line on torque from 1500-2000 RPM's. It starts to come alive after 2200.
And if I sound wishy-washy with my numbers, I am dyslexic when it comes to numbers. Don't ever rattle off a phone number to me and expect me to write it down correctly. :headbonk:

OP
OP

dab86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
^ What gear ratios do you have?
Im actually glad you said this...I have 3.31

If i had 3.73, then cruising at a lower RPM might make the car feel better.

Sponsored

MJS-P51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic Metallic
No granny shifting here. I love to hear my 32V 4 cam Coyote purrrrrrrr all the time. I shift between 3-4k for each shift between 1st-3rd gear. I figured all the people around me want to hear that sweet symphony too, so I oblige :)
Yup absolutely.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Going up a hwy ramp is where I get shovel the coals to it the most. Mayhe 5-6k. We have a 70 mph speed limit and live in a semi-rural area so I at least get to wind it up nicely in 2nd. After that I usually get it into 6th pretty quickly to cruise. I generally putter on the highway, but think nothing of dropping a gear and doing what this car is made for when needed.

I don't squeeze all the juice out of this orange, I'll leave that to people like the kid with an obnoxiously loud Mustang I watched tear out of a busy parking lot last week, tires burnin'. My restraint isn't compelled by fear as much as it is not wanting to put others at risk, and by not wanting to tear this nice car up. I think it comes with age, the older I get the more cautious and calculated my moves. A little different than when I was 20 and tried to make a 15 mph curve doing 40, with a straight axle rear. Made it, but not pretty.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Methinks some of you ought to drive an NA, 4 cylinder, mid size sedan for a few years to refresh your memory of what "won't get out of its own way" really means...

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Methinks some of you ought to drive an NA, 4 cylinder, mid size sedan for a few years to refresh your memory of what "won't get out of its own way" really means...
Yea, I just take my daughters '98 Honda CR-V for a drive to get grounded in reality. :lol:

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
or maybe some of us are just used to driving FAST shit :cheers: ;)
Sponsored