Sponsored

Cruising at 3k RPM daily - Safe?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
At least here in Dallas if you aren't causing a problem the cops aren't going to hunt you down. There IS a law regarding aggressive driving. People call it the "road rage" law. Other than that, cops can ticket you for reckless driving if they deem it necessary, and that definition can be pretty broad. However, they could care less about you doing 4K rpm as long as you aren't being an idiot. With my 3.73s 4k is very easy. Besides, lugging an engine is hard on it. Bottom line, if you have a lot of driving experience you will know what is appropriate for each situation and keep yourself out of trouble.

As far as yielding here, people just plain suck at it. They don't do it. People here are horrible drivers, forget the intentional stuff. I have to swerve to avoid getting hit about once a week. They come into my lane or back out of a parking spot without looking.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Wow, I can't believe the responses here. I guess I drive aggressive by the standards of some here. 1st thru 3rd I typically up shift my EcoBoost @ 3k-4K rpms just driving around town otherwise I'm downshifting constantly because the traffic is moving to slow for the next gear. If I was worried about mpg I would be an asshole driving a Prius and not a Mustang. My GT should be here this week and I will probably do most driving around town in 2nd and 3rd. I'm not planning to nanny my GT, if I wanted to shift @1.5 k rpms I would probably be driving that Prius. Based on the comments then either you're all full of shit or you're driving like a granny, I'm going with the former.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
No granny shifting here. I love to hear my 32V 4 cam Coyote purrrrrrrr all the time. I shift between 3-4k for each shift between 1st-3rd gear. I figured all the people around me want to hear that sweet symphony too, so I oblige :)

mjribeiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sierra HD, 15 Acadia, 21 Aviator, 10 Explorer
Saying someone drives like a grandma, is derogatory in meaning.
My Mom is a Grandma - and she has a brand new convertible C7 - I don't have a car that can catch her - and I suspect most of you don't either! Ok - she's not the normal Grandma!

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To all the people saying you shift at above 3k, that is not what the OP is saying. What he is saying is if he's cruising in town at 40mph, he's keeping it in gear to be cruising at 3-4k rpm. Completely different than getting up to speed quickly and then cruising around at 1.5-2.5k. Hence the backlash and saying no reason to keep it in a low gear to be as he described, the "POWER ZONE".

Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
To all the people saying you shift at above 3k, that is not what the OP is saying. What he is saying is if he's cruising in town at 40mph, he's keeping it in gear to be cruising at 3-4k rpm. Completely different than getting up to speed quickly and then cruising around at 1.5-2.5k. Hence the backlash and saying no reason to keep it in a low gear to be as he described, the "POWER ZONE".

I wouldn't cruise around town at 3k-4K, seems pointless to me.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
[FONT=&quot]People are confusing cruising at 3- 4k with shifting at 3-4k. The OP is talking about cruising. If you are cruising around town at 3 - 4k rpm, yes, there is added wear/tear on your vehicle. Is it much? Probably not that you will notice.

Based on the responses, it seems to be the opinion of most folks that you look like some douchy idiot that is trying to prove something -- so for people who do drive like that to get all defensive is really not going to accomplish much because folks already have their opinion about you. Really its not about being perceived as driving like a grandma. Laws like those in VA weren’t made for fun – they were made because the government was given enough reason to make them. People just don't get that everything you do outside of the "norm" is scrutinized and causes us auto enthusiasts to be judged. They do things like cruise around with the car down in low gear with the exhaust screaming, and then piss and moan a year later when the government starts making mods illegal and cops start busting people for shit like exhaust that is too loud.[/FONT]

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
OP, it won't hurt your car, you're not even tapping it. I generally drive around town in the 2000-2500 RPM band, I like the elevated exhaust note (stock exhaust, GT, 3.73) and response. Plus it's just hard not to feed that Coyote. I shift for power >5000 RPM.

Of course, there are times when I am more in the mood to nurse it, so then I shoot for turning at 1500RPM, usually out of the city.

Hilarious thread. Good times!

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I shift at 3500-4000 rpm daily. why? because its fun.
also, don't quote gas mileage. if you bought this car with economy in mind then you are a moron. go buy a v6 or a ecoboost.
But he's not talking about shifting. He's explicitly talking about not shifting.

Imagine yourself in your own car, and when you hit that 3500-4000rpm shift point, just don't do it. Don't do it and just keep driving at 3500rpm, and enjoy the powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That's what he's talking about.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
But he's not talking about shifting. He's explicitly talking about not shifting.

Imagine yourself in your own car, and when you hit that 3500-4000rpm shift point, just don't do it. Don't do it and just keep driving at 3500rpm, and enjoy the powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That's what he's talking about.
Exactly. When did this turn into a "what point do I shift at" debate?

As others have said though, it's the OPs car so let him drive it how he wants to. Personally I wouldn't drive it like that, where I'm just cruising at a set speed with the RPM's around 4K, but that's just me.

OP should just get rid of 6th (and maybe 5th) gear for added weight reduction! ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP

dab86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here is my next question. How accurate is the Average MPG gauge? Because mine says I average 17.4 MPG and there is NO way thats possible driving like i do. Is anyone else experiencing an inaccurate reading on theirs or are these cars just great on gas? lol

RUN RICH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem. PP
I could care less about gas mileage. Is cruising around town at 3k rpm and upshifting at around 4.5k safe for the engine on a daily basis? I would assume the coyote could handle this all day? I like to keep her in the "Power" zone. However, on the highway when cruising I will go into 6th.
Keep an eye on your oil levels. I'd also follow the owners manual recommendations for your style of driving in regards to changing your oil.

Not everyone is going to agree with you on a public board. It's an open forum made up of many different people with vary opinions. Drive your car the way you see fit but also try to see the message of what some of the older dudes are saying.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thank you baby jesus. The people see the original post for what it's worth. Lol.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I need to shift normally above 3K RPM's with my gears for sure. 6th gear for me also has absolutely no power when at freeway speeds 60-70 mph.

People forget, these modern V8's *are* like the old high reving Honda engines (b16a). Thats what I like about them!!!

3K (strait) RPM's is the perfect RPM's for me driving around, the engine feels perfect with my gears. Going up to 4K does not, you can't just leave it hanging at 4K. >4K RPM is for swift acceleration only.

Its amazing that this V8 feels like my old S2000.

(FYI, I have 1000 miles now with 12.6 mpg on average and I really don't "stomp" it a lot, I do push it in 2nd and 3rd gear a lot just to feel the power but never really off the line).

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
[deleted]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk