Status
Not open for further replies.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
KMPregnant over there is a riot. He's remotely calling people out on information, but his reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Actually, the article just states that at ATS and the Camaro share the same Alpha architecture. It even goes further and says:
It shared the floors and this "shear plate" with the ATS, I went into detail a few ages ago about this very thing.

I said the floors, rockers, torque boxes and maybe trunk area were shared. The firewall/cowl, entire cabin, runners (rockers extended) and the tunnel would be different. The tunnel looks to be shared... The floor in the Camaro is ATS but so is the CTS. There is a HUGE disadvantage with using ATS hard mounting points while only extending the links. YOU NEVER get the same feel or result doing this... Engineers know this... I will get to that in a second...
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Step #2: F@ck braking...

The ATS-V is equipped to handle its weight...

The Camaro traded a real heavy duty brake setup for some OEM sh!t that probably wouldn't stop a snail on a salt bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Step #3: Hard mounting points...

I'm just going to put up the pictures... Lots of theories can be laid out here...

Camaro

ATS-V

Get to speculating!!! I wanna see some sound theories as to what is going on here. Nothing really bad or good, it just contradicts a statement made by Chevy about the track and link increases. I know they moved the toe and camber but, something is strange here...

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It looks like they needed to leave out the center section of that brace for the LT1's oil pan?

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
Well that's just an inaccurate assumption. I'll use a little applied mathematics to demonstrate. Now we don't know the weight of the 6th gen, but GM is claiming it to be a bit less than the 5th gen. But for sh!ts and grins lets just use the 5th gen weight, since that would result as a conservative estimate for the 6th gen.

2015 Dodge Charger SRT 392 is 4,400 lbs (per CarandDriver)

2015 Camaro SS 1LE is 3,884 (again per CarandDriver)

4,400 - 3,884 = 516

516 =/= 200

2015 Mustang GT is 3,810 lbs (assuming this is with performance pack)

3,884 - 3,810 = 74
i said charger only and used what another gm fool said.

but

CURB WEIGHT 3961 lbs.
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/charger/2014/features-specs/

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
If you are willing to sacrifice that active exhaust, looks like you can shave more than 30 lbs. Cadillac seems to have a better quality steel exhaust with an x pipe, while camaro runs with straight trough but heavy duty steel.
Actually the Camaro has an h-pipe crossover toward the rear.

Probably to keep the bass in the exhaust.

I expect zl1/z28 to move to an x.

Also, if 30 lbs is shaved from the Camaro removing the exhaust controls, I wonder how much is removed from the gt350 system... That car is killer as is. Even lighter? Insanity. But you'll probably get a Tackett if you have it loud all the time.

the GT has that giant suitcase thing that weighs around 25 or so?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Camaro6 used to be pretty free of fanboy idiots..not so much now.

Lol @ KM calling Pill an idiot when he couldn't be bothered to actually read and comprehend properly. They're blindly obsessed with attacking Pill and some of the others here. Of course it's to be expected, some now can't afford a 6th Gen Camaro so they keep in the club by attacking people here.

BaylorCorvette

Track > 1/4 Mile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Z51

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase

Lol @ KM calling Pill an idiot when he couldn't be bothered to actually read and comprehend properly. They're blindly obsessed with attacking Pill and some of the others here. Of course it's to be expected, some now can't afford a 6th Gen Camaro so they keep in the club by attacking people here.
Camaro5 used to be, not Camaro6. The latter is filled primarily with younger, inexperienced participants.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
How to f@ck up a car in the name of weight savings and budget:

Step #1: Remove critical mass and rigidity from the ATS-V's sub-structure.

ATS-V

Solution: A tent stake and some JB Weld. The most effective forms of rigidity is cast/forged triangulation. This is merely a Torque Box Brace and just as effective as those high speed strut tower braces last Gen.

2016 Camaro

The Camaro has the CTS set-up.

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, and now that joker is backtracking on what he stated and trying to perform credibility damage control. He was even called out on his misinterpreted information by another member over on C6.:lol:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
How to f@ck up a car in the name of weight savings and budget:

Step #1: Remove critical mass and rigidity from the ATS-V's sub-structure.

ATS-V

Solution: A tent stake and some JB Weld. The most effective forms of rigidity is cast/forged triangulation. This is merely a Torque Box Brace and just as effective as those high speed strut tower braces last Gen.

2016 Camaro

Flexing Architecture has it's pros and cons, a big pro is a more budget to spend on other things, or use components of higher tiered models like the ATS V and CTS V.

I'll wait to see how the car performs before I say anything about the lengthened pickup points.

I don't think alot of people realize how cost sensitive new vehicle programs are. Those aluminum cradles are not cheap, and the are a significant improve from the regular ATS and CTS. Great load paths for crash, and they integrated the steel reinforcements they had previously into on aluminum assembly. That is alot better from an assembly and fasteners quality stand point.

On thing for sure that this shows me, as close as the new Camaro will be to the Mustang in terms of weight, the buyers are most certainly paying for it. Which is smart from the business side.

That's still all steel on the Mustang. The S550 Mustang K member weighs some 62 lbs. The older style ATS weighed some 38lbs.

There is still alot of lightweighting opportunities with the S550.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Step #2: F@ck braking...

The ATS-V is equipped to handle its weight...

The Camaro traded a real heavy duty brake setup for some f@ggot OEM sh!t that probably wouldn't stop a snail on a salt bed.

Some info on the SS brakes for you from Brembo.

The Chevrolet Camaro Coupe is 90 kg lighter than the previous models with better aerodynamics and brakes.

The Brembo four-piston, two-piece aluminium calipers are designed specifically for weight savings and are among the stiffest available with virtually no distortion from high thermal and torque loads, even under the most demanding conditions. Brembo’s corrosion-resistant calipers in anodized aluminium offer reduced weight over traditional calipers.

On the Camaro LT, the available Brembo brakes include 12.6-inch (321x30mm) front rotors with four-piston aluminium calipers. Camaro SS employs 13.6-inch (345x30 mm) front rotors with four-piston aluminium calipers and 13.3-inch (339x26 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
2016 Camaro Curb Weight estimates:

1LT: 3600lbs

1SS: 3770lbs

Ecoduke: ???

thePills estimates:

1LT: 3580-3620lbs

1SS: 3780-3820lbs

Ecoduke: 3530-3560lbs

2LT & 2SS add 30-40lbs

RS: Not much but required for PP?

(F@ck embargo's and f@ck GM)
Been gone a lot lately. What is the PP on the camaro? I didn't think Chevy was going to offer one this MY?

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
So that's a base model V6, you do know that right? Soooo base model V6 Camaro is 3,719.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/camaro/2015/st-200709672/features-specs/

Base model 2015 V6 Mustang

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/2015/features-specs/

While it's much closer, the Camaro still closer in weight to Mustang.
dude are you a special type of stupid, i never said a model, also another one of you gm trolls stated the 200 pounds, i just didn't argue. but really i know i cant fix stupid, troll away
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.