Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Limited Edition

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not to defend Ford, but they are selling what? About 8500 a month in the US? 1 out of say 80,000-100,000 isn't a strong statistical number for Ford to shell out money to look into (especially when no one was hurt). If this was the 10th and/or someone was hurt, I'd bet they would be investigating this.

These types of things, as I pointed out in a prior post, are a built in cost of doing business for car companies- to make sure these types of incidents go away. I will guarantee at least 1 of from almost all of the numerous car models going back years and years have had similar incidents and you have and never will hear about.

This happens with all consumer goods. There are defects and you never hear about them and the manufacturer never investigates because the cost to investigate and do studies outweighs replacing the item and compensating the consumer (or in this case the insurance stepped up)

Don't hate Ford, hate the whole system and capitalism then that says it is ok to brush serious incidents under the rug and never look into them to see if there was a defect that needs fixing.

Wile E. Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Altima, 2015 Mustang GT on order
Sorry if this has been answered but is your insurance paying the cost to replace the car?

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
OP - Sorry to hear about the shit that you're going through. I know it's really none of our business, but it would be nice to hear what becomes of this.

The lack of integrity with this whole situation is absurd. Never accept the answer that the "system" is to blame...that's an excuse for complacent people. Anyway, I won't fuel this BS anymore. Good luck to you.

PsyopGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commuter cars
I had a brand new (at the time) 2001 Saleen S281 do the same exact thing. And the same as you, I also thought the car was just overheating.

I was on my way to work when I saw white "steam" coming out of the side of the hood at a stop light. So I turned on the heater, the light turn green and I proceeded to drive straight to the dealership. The car was only 2 days old or so.

As I was driving the smoke actually went away, so I pulled into the dealership, got out and walked straight to the service department. There was a lady sitting at a desk that was in the corner of the garage. I told her my problem and all she said was, "Sir..... is that your car??"

So I turn around and the whole fricken engine bay was up in flames! They had me come back to talk to the General Manager later that afternoon. In the interim I did some digging and could find nothing about it being a common problem, or a problem in any other Saleen Mustang.

So met with the service manager and he agreed to give me back my down payment or replace the car. So I replaced the white Saleen with a black one.

A couple days later, on a Friday, I get a call from the dealership claiming the fire was my fault, and that I have to return the new one, and that I'm responsible for $13,000 worth of damage to the white one.

After some shock and angry back and forth they told me, "This is Lamont and Tonelli from KSJO, it's Dirty Friday! Your friends at work set you up!" And everyone at the office came out of the woodwork cheering.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The lack of integrity with this whole situation is absurd. Never accept the answer that the "system" is to blame...that's an excuse for complacent people.
:doh: I guess someone doesn't get how corporate America has worked for half a millennium or has never run a business- pure cost/benefit. No one is complacent, but everyone wants everything perfect as cheap as possible which simply does not exist; and sometimes things happen that are purely by chance and outside anything anyone could have ever reasonably seen happening or prevented.

I can think of numerous examples where neither anyone is at fault nor the product is defective. It could have very easily been somethign as simple as a hose clamp that was put on properly at the factory wiggled off under vibration of the engine and the hose popped off. No one's fault at all, and it was installed properly.

All I have seen is wild speculation and bad assumptions by a bunch of "know it all opinions" who want to throw blame around. Again, my suspicion here is that the cost to investigate 1 incident out of 75,000-100,000 sold doesn't make any financial sense.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
:doh: I guess someone doesn't get how corporate America has worked for half a millennium or has never run a business- pure cost/benefit. No one is complacent, but everyone wants everything perfect as cheap as possible which simply does not exist; and sometimes things happen that are purely by chance and outside anything anyone could have ever reasonably seen happening or prevented.

I can think of numerous examples where no one is at fault nor the product is defective. It could have very easily been somethign as simple as a hose clamp that was put on properly at the factory wiggled off under vibration of the engine and the hose popped off. No one's fault at all, and it was installed properly.

All I have seen is wild speculation and bad assumptions by a bunch of "know it all opinions" who want to throw blame around. Again, my suspicion here is that the cost to investigate 1 incident out of 75,000-100,000 sold doesn't make any financial sense.
Makes absolutely no sense what you wrote above. Hose could have wiggled off, but new decent designer needs to make sure that if it does, it's not going to cause the fire. If he/she didn't, then it's their fault. Quite basic thing in the design world.

Worked aircraft engines for 15 years, do you really thing that if aircraft crashed, people / NTSB / FAA would accept an explanation that it's was just a hose that wiggled off and fire was just a consequence so it's really not our fault ? Really ?

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
No. The insurance is totaling the vehicle. Won't here from ford for another 3 weeks is what the rep told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So where was this car serviced at? Which dealer in MD?

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
Wow no word from Ford? That is disgusting.

I would contact a lawyer ASAP.

Either Ford or the dealership did something very wrong that jeopardized your life! I would be furious!!

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Wow no word from Ford? That is disgusting.

I would contact a lawyer ASAP.

Either Ford or the dealership did something very wrong that jeopardized your life! I would be furious!!

Here we go again.

Right now it is his insurance companies responsibility to handle it then handle the investigation.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Makes absolutely no sense what you wrote above. Hose could have wiggled off, but new decent designer needs to make sure that if it does, it's not going to cause the fire. If he/she didn't, then it's their fault. Quite basic thing in the design world.

Worked aircraft engines for 15 years, do you really thing that if aircraft crashed, people / NTSB / FAA would accept an explanation that it's was just a hose that wiggled off and fire was just a consequence so it's really not our fault ? Really ?
It was just a hypothetical not a real world example.

Cars are quite a bit different. Thee are 100 times more cars than planes. That would be like saying the feds investigate every car crash out there. Simply not possible due to sheer volume.

Horse Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicorn
Yowser, glad the OP escaped this okay but that whole situation is something that can stick with you for a long time.

Since every other idiot on the planet has chimed in it must be time for this one to opine.

FoMoCo is not the same as your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer, legally. Of course, that depends on the issue at hand, the state in which you reside, the weight of a leprechaunā€™s pot of gold, the price of tea in China and a bazillion other things. None of that really matters here, though, because while there is only one person here with a fiduciary interest in this matter there are 7266 other members on this forum providing a gateway to the court of public opinion. That court is in fact the largest known to mankind - numbering in the billions and capable of delivering swift justice however they deem fit. If a new car catches fire for no apparent reason, nobody gives a shit if your local Ford isnā€™t really Ford and if the Ford in Detroit isnā€™t really your local Ford. Ford had a PR nightmare with the Pinto long before stupid people had access to the internet. Did customers walk into Ford dealerships and praise the employees for not being directly employed by FoMoCo and politely ask to be shown a vehicle that didnā€™t explode when tapped in the ass? Ralph Nader could have gave a flying f**k if the Chevy dealer wasnā€™t really Chevy (I hope he doesnā€™t read this forum because the thought of him rubbing one out to this thread may be more than I can take). But you could be damn sure the dealerships didnā€™t like that the blue hairs looking for a sedan didnā€™t know the difference between a Corvair and Corvette.

Why in the hell do people think that, because a car has 6,000 miles on it, it couldnā€™t possibly be a design fault or manufacturing defect that causes a car to catch fire? Hmmm, the warranty is for 36,000/60,000 miles but that only covers premature wear and tear, right? It says right in the fine print that all fires, explosions, brake failures and fluxes in the space-time continuum happen before the first oil change. Apparently, if something bad happens to a car after it leaves the state of Michigan it must be the ownerā€™s fault or some nefarious, dipshit grease monkey is to blame.

Granted, it is very difficult to prove liability, negligence and cause & effect in a situation like this ā€“ particularly since it was a fire. The ā€œfire scienceā€ taught to investigators and relied on for the last 50 years has been exposed as mostly hokum and efforts to gain new understanding are just getting started. And who knows, maybe Stone Phillips took one of the incendiary devices planted on the GMC trucks and had a little fun with the OP. Maybe an ex-girlfriend is trying to do him in. Maybe FoMoCo should look up the concept of ā€˜res ipsa loquiturā€™ and realize the onus is on them at this point. Maybe they already haveā€¦ or maybe they donā€™t care yet.

Equine fact: some Mustangs are in fact Pintos but not all Pintos are in fact Mustangs.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Yowser, glad the OP escaped this okay but that whole situation is something that can stick with you for a long time.

Since every other idiot on the planet has chimed in it must be time for this one to opine.

FoMoCo is not the same as your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer, legally. Of course, that depends on the issue at hand, the state in which you reside, the weight of a leprechaunā€™s pot of gold, the price of tea in China and a bazillion other things. None of that really matters here, though, because while there is only one person here with a fiduciary interest in this matter there are 7266 other members on this forum providing a gateway to the court of public opinion. That court is in fact the largest known to mankind - numbering in the billions and capable of delivering swift justice however they deem fit. If a new car catches fire for no apparent reason, nobody gives a shit if your local Ford isnā€™t really Ford and if the Ford in Detroit isnā€™t really your local Ford. Ford had a PR nightmare with the Pinto long before stupid people had access to the internet. Did customers walk into Ford dealerships and praise the employees for not being directly employed by FoMoCo and politely ask to be shown a vehicle that didnā€™t explode when tapped in the ass? Ralph Nader could have gave a flying f**k if the Chevy dealer wasnā€™t really Chevy (I hope he doesnā€™t read this forum because the thought of him rubbing one out to this thread may be more than I can take). But you could be damn sure the dealerships didnā€™t like that the blue hairs looking for a sedan didnā€™t know the difference between a Corvair and Corvette.

Why in the hell do people think that, because a car has 6,000 miles on it, it couldnā€™t possibly be a design fault or manufacturing defect that causes a car to catch fire? Hmmm, the warranty is for 36,000/60,000 miles but that only covers premature wear and tear, right? It says right in the fine print that all fires, explosions, brake failures and fluxes in the space-time continuum happen before the first oil change. Apparently, if something bad happens to a car after it leaves the state of Michigan it must be the ownerā€™s fault or some nefarious, dipshit grease monkey is to blame.

Granted, it is very difficult to prove liability, negligence and cause & effect in a situation like this ā€“ particularly since it was a fire. The ā€œfire scienceā€ taught to investigators and relied on for the last 50 years has been exposed as mostly hokum and efforts to gain new understanding are just getting started. And who knows, maybe Stone Phillips took one of the incendiary devices planted on the GMC trucks and had a little fun with the OP. Maybe an ex-girlfriend is trying to do him in. Maybe FoMoCo should look up the concept of ā€˜res ipsa loquiturā€™ and realize the onus is on them at this point. Maybe they already haveā€¦ or maybe they donā€™t care yet.

Equine fact: some Mustangs are in fact Pintos but not all Pintos are in fact Mustangs.
HUH???

Thompyt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic/Red Redline GT PP Premium
It was spoken like a politician.
Sponsored