Sponsored

ESS or Whipple

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Which load is easier on the crank shaft snout? are centrifugals often further fwd then whipples then TVS?
Sponsored

Graycarbons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt pp-10sp
big fan of ESS. my buddy has one and it was easy to install, cost efficient, makes great power and doesn't heat soak. less g3x w g4 intercooler is the move.

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Which load is easier on the crank shaft snout? are centrifugals often further fwd then whipples then TVS?
When it comes to superchargers and their impact on the crankshaft snout, the type and placement of the supercharger can indeed affect the load. Centrifugal Superchargers: These are typically mounted further forward compared to other types. They tend to place less load on the crankshaft snout because they use a belt-driven system that doesn’t require as much direct force on the crankshaft. Roots-Type Superchargers (e.g., Whipple): These are mounted directly on top of the engine and can place more load on the crankshaft snout due to their position and the way they are driven. Twin Vortices Series (TVS) Superchargers: These are similar to Roots-type in terms of mounting and load on the crankshaft snout. They are also mounted on top of the engine and can exert significant force on the crankshaft

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@loucas-2021 I think you have that backwards. Roush manages this best and I believe still upgrades to an oem viscous damper. Centrifs are the worst for this.

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The 10R80 and the Coyote go together like peanut butter and jelly. Throw in an ESS and its like sprinkling cocaine on it. Im only on the 120 pully and its insane how hard it pulls. and with the 10 gears, you really barely feel it shift. Its such a long linear pull that doesnt let up until well over 150 (if youre driving in mexico of course).

Sponsored

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
supposedly.... theres been no crank snout failures with an ESS yet. That being said, theres nowhere near the amount of ESS out there as there is procharger/vortech/whipple. All of which have broken cranks. I have no idea how that works though or why they dont put a lot of stress on the snout.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
So there seems to be two defined camps in the Mustang community. ESS and Whipple yes I know there are other choices.
ESS is a relatively simple DIY installation, not really sure about the Whipple.
Besides price (ESS g3) Whipple being considerably more $$ and power delivery with the centrifugal being higher rpm and the Whipple being on the bottom end.
Is there really one that is truly better at the end of the day?
I had a Roush Phase 2 installed on my 2017 GT/PP three years ago this November at Brenspeed and it's been flawless. It's my daily driver and I need to pass emissions every two years. I did Roush especially for their connection to Ford. It's all a matter of what you want to achieve and personal preference.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
If you had an 10R80 then ESS for sure just because Centri's shift right in it's powerband. Plus they don't make a ton of torque so great for rolls.

For a stick, Whipple just because the RPM drops lower between shifts, the torque will put you back in it better.

Have a Procharger with 10R80 at 800hp, it's nuts.
One of the best replies I've seen explaining the two. Thanks

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Here are my Centri dyno numbers. Centri blowers make peak power up high, mine was 7850. My car shifts every gear at 8000 and doesn't drop much between shifts. Just stays in the powerband.

Procharger D-1X with a 120MM Pulley (11 psi), Big Red BOV, Largest Intercooler, Fore Innovations fuel system on E85. The pump E85 was tested and it was right around 72% Ethanol. We did put E90 after the dyno tune session and the car picked up in power but no numbers.

*Note - the D-1X is designed to make less torque compared to the other P and D series head units. It's also designed for roll style racing, less torque for traction. Rated for a max 1100hp.

*Note 2 - Ken at PBD strapped the car down before changing to radials. This was dynoed with a 305 Mickey ET which is not ideal for dyno runs. Figure a 20HP loss. Car was really making around 790ish.

52992910127_66748c0c23_z.jpg
Untitled by jpjr50, on Flickr

53814392472_5592606915_z.jpg

53583018981_fc7638d8e1_z.jpg

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The 10R80 and the Coyote go together like peanut butter and jelly. Throw in an ESS and its like sprinkling cocaine on it. Im only on the 120 pully and its insane how hard it pulls. and with the 10 gears, you really barely feel it shift. Its such a long linear pull that doesnt let up until well over 150 (if youre driving in mexico of course).
Mmmm.... PBJ and coke. Now I'm hungry!

Sponsored

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Out of all the kits I have personally driven. 2013 with a Roush, 2011 with an f1a94 Procharger and an 18 with a Vortech V3Jt, the Vortech has the only one that uses the stock tensioner, so there really isn't much more load. Plus I left it 6rib, id rather have the belt slip than break my shit.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Another benefit of a centi blower is that you don't need to ditch the strut tower brace. Honestly, having torque is nice (my last car was a SCAT Charger) but with that low end torque, you're spinning tires. The centi blower is great because the torque curve is linear, which others have mentioned that it's easier on the drivetrain components like half-shafts. I plan on going ESS eventually.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another benefit of a centi blower is that you don't need to ditch the strut tower brace.
They're basically useless so who cares.

Honestly, having torque is nice (my last car was a SCAT Charger) but with that low end torque, you're spinning tires. The centi blower is great because the torque curve is linear, which others have mentioned that it's easier on the drivetrain components like half-shafts. I plan on going ESS eventually.
This whole argument is overrated.

I can hook from a 40 roll in 2nd with a Whipple. If you have a centrifugal car, you're going to downshift to get into the powerband and you'll be making plenty of power, the dyno sheet from this ESS car for example is making 475 lb/ft at 5500rpm and will definitely hit the tires hard.

Sure the Whipple will make more torque lower in the powerband, and maybe a little more torque overall, but when you get on it, either car is going to be at the same RPM and the centrifugal is going to a lot closer in torque at those higher RPMs than some people think. If anything you want the extra power down low for when you aren't quite in the powerband yet because of gearing etc.

James_G2_120mm__25339.jpg

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

I can hook from a 40 roll in 2nd with a Whipple. If you have a centrifugal car, you're going to downshift to get into the powerband and you'll be making plenty of power, the dyno sheet from this ESS car for example is making 475 lb/ft at 5500rpm and will definitely hit the tires hard.

Sure the Whipple will make more torque lower in the powerband, and maybe a little more torque overall, but when you get on it, either car is going to be at the same RPM and the centrifugal is going to a lot closer in torque at those higher RPMs than some people think. If anything you want the extra power down low for when you aren't quite in the powerband yet because of gearing etc.

Why does everyone always go to roll racing? Never seen a drag race start at 40

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP

I get it, you're defending your choice. But the ESS is about half the cost so that alone is enough for me. Again, low end torque is what kills your drivetrain. That seat pushback feeling is nice though!
Sponsored