Tips for going the FBO route

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a bone stock 16' Mustang GT manual and is looking to add some power. I'm wanting to keep it just bolt on mods and stay away from boost. I know about ported manifolds, CAI, catbacks, headers, etc but I don't really know where to start. I've considered a ported 18 manifold first but I don't know that much like if I'll need the lockouts or an custom tune. If any of ya'll had some advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
please tell us more about how you intend to use the car, so we can throw ideas your way based on that.

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The car is my daily that I use to get around. Just want to add power for the fun of it for more excited highway runs.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The car is my daily that I use to get around. Just want to add power for the fun of it for more excited highway runs.
How much power are you looking to make? Do you want to stay on pump gas or get on E85?

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How much power are you looking to make? Do you want to stay on pump gas or get on E85?
I would prefer to stay on pump gas for now, i would love to be in the 500 rwhp range but I’m not that knowledgeable about if that’s a stretch

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hitting 500 rwhp is not as easy as many think. I thought I’d get there with LTHs, X-pipe, tune and E85 and came up short at 469 rwhp/434 rwtq. That was through the factory Active Exhaust. I now have an axle back exhaust (AE delete), ported tb and IMRC lockout, but don’t know if those things have added more power. If they did, I still don’t think they would get me up to that 500 rwhp mark.

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Gotcha. For a first mod what would you recommend that would be the best bang for your buck?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Other thing you can do to get you closer to the 500whp, they don't make more power, but they do free up rotating mass and it's like gaining power. Put on a one piece aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft, and lighter wheels.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Gotcha. For a first mod what would you recommend that would be the best bang for your buck?
Well, I would suggest doing everything that you want to add such as LTHs, x or h-pipe, axle back, 2018 intake manifold, IMRC lockouts, PMAS CAI Kit and throttle body (if you desire) and then tune the car. The reason I suggest doing it that way is so that you pay once for a tune and don’t have to keep paying for tune revisions. all of that stuff will put you in the ballpark of 470-480 rwhp.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you don’t want to add LTHs, you can get away with adding the x or h-pipe, axle back, PMAS (no tune required version) and ported throttle body without having to get a tune immediately, but if your budget permits, I recommend following my recommendation in post #9 and get it all handled at once.

Sponsored

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My tip, dont.

Just get the cheapest ESS kit and keep everything else stock. That will be the most cost effective way.

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, I would suggest doing everything that you want to add such as LTHs, x or h-pipe, axle back, 2018 intake manifold, IMRC lockouts, PMAS CAI Kit and throttle body (if you desire) and then tune the car. The reason I suggest doing it that way is so that you pay once for a tune and don’t have to keep paying for tune revisions. all of that stuff will put you in the ballpark of 470-480 rwhp.
So if I were to get an 18 manifold and an CAI to start with would I have to tune it immediately? Or can you run just the manifold and CAI without a tune for now?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My tip, dont.

Just get the cheapest ESS kit and keep everything else stock. That will be the most cost effective way.
Right? Literally make 580-600whp with a big pulley for maybe $1000 more while being super safe and lasting forever. Easier than buying all the bolt on parts needed just to make and honest 475-500whp.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So if I were to get an 18 manifold and an CAI to start with would I have to tune it immediately? Or can you run just the manifold and CAI without a tune for now?
If you’re going to run lockouts you’ll need to have them turned off in the tune, so you’re back to needing the tune. My vote is the CAI kit, mid pipe, tb and axle back for now. Buy the intake if it’s in your budget and the IMRC lockout kit and sit on them until you’re absolutely ready for the tune and then do that. Another option to LTHs is this:

https://www.makperformance.com/2015-2023-Mustang-GT-MAK-Performance-Pipes_p_299.html
Sponsored