wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I don’t know the answer, but you have the makings of a fun experiment. Turn the car around and measure the oil level with it facing the other way.
True enough.
Sponsored

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
Okay, last question in this thread, I promise. It just hit me that I checked the oil with my car parked in my driveway, which is at a bit of an angle (front pointing downhill). How much impact does an angle have on the dipstick measurement?
I’d park the car on a level surface then recheck the level before you start adding oil… just my 2 cents. :)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Okay, last question in this thread, I promise. It just hit me that I checked the oil with my car parked in my driveway, which is at a bit of an angle (front pointing downhill). How much impact does an angle have on the dipstick measurement?
Makes a pretty big difference, actually. 10 quart pan is pretty deep, so even slight adjustments in the level of the car can change the reading by like half a quart or so.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT PP2. 24 Ram BTS, 21 Mach1 (Sold)
yea, got to be level for accurate measurement . I wouldn't lose ant sleep but do it right.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
On a side note regarding the engine cover, I trimmed the "bat wings" off mine and left the center before re-installing. I think it looks a lot cleaner IMO.
IMG_0548.jpeg

Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
On a side note regarding the engine cover, I trimmed the "bat wings" off mine and left the center before re-installing. I think it looks a lot cleaner IMO.
IMG_0548.jpeg
That looks awesome man! So did you just dremel off the wings? I have a jigsaw and a dremel...lol
Do you have a pic of it off the car?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Should be a quart. But adding 1/2 at a time is much safer than YOLOing it.
If you go a bit over, it won't hurt anything.

These engines do burn a bit, at 12:1 compression.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So, yes, Ford isn't lying when they say to check the oil with the car level. I reversed it in my driveway and checked, and it showed the level a tiny bit above maximum. So, now I'll find a level spot (my neighborhood is very hilly) and check again. I wager it'll be right in the middle.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
To bring this thing full circle, I found a level spot to check the oil. As expected, it was almost right in the middle.
Makes sense, if you flip it on the hill 180 your true measure should be the middle of the two unlevel measures.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
That looks awesome man! So did you just dremel off the wings? I have a jigsaw and a dremel...lol
Do you have a pic of it off the car?
I don't have a picture of it off the car, but I just took a sawzall. With an all-purpose blade and chopped off. The runners that holds it on. Basically all eight runners that run in was easy enough to just saw off real quick. I had to drill out under the 5.0 emblem to get it to separate. From the rivets.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I wanted to see the nice aluminum intake runners so I trimmed my cover in a different way:

mustang_cover_final_20190707_113444_resized.jpg

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Here’s a bit of a rhetorical question: unless Ford really didn’t want you to check the oil, why did they make it so difficult to do so? When I first got my 2020 GT convertible it took me a couple days off and on just to find the dipstick. And don’t even mention actually trying to get under the brace with fat old hands to check it. It’s truly ridiculous!

Maybe they want you to have to take it in to check your oil, just like the A10 fluid.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Here’s a bit of a rhetorical question: unless Ford really didn’t want you to check the oil, why did they make it so difficult to do so? When I first got my 2020 GT convertible it took me a couple days off and on just to find the dipstick. And don’t even mention actually trying to get under the brace with fat old hands to check it. It’s truly ridiculous!

Maybe they want you to have to take it in to check your oil, just like the A10 fluid.
They design the engine, then they design the car, then they put them together. With all of the variables involved nobody is nefariously hiding the dipstick, it just landed that way and didn't matter enough to warrant consideration just because it was inconvenient.
Sponsored