What's In DFB's Cabinet?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Most people choose one tool and battery eco-system and stick with it. Me, I tend to shop for the tool I want based on performance or preference first, then consider the battery family second.

I probably don't recommend the method, it's certainly the more expensive route, not to mention juggling various batteries and chargers...............which is the subject of this post. I currently have 10 different chargers serving 11 different battery systems.

- Milwaukee 12v and 18v (M18 and M12 tools)
- Makita 18v
- EGO 56v (Blower, Fan and Inverter)
- Stihl AL101 36v (Hedge trimmer, pole trimmer, chainsaw, blower)
- Stihl AL1 10.8v (Handheld hedge shears)
- Solo 10.8v (Easy 206 Sprayer)
- Briggs & Stratton 18v (Victa Mustang 750iS lawn mower)
- ShineMate 18v (3 and 5-inch polishers)
- Rupes 18v (5-inch polisher)
- Rupes 10.8v (iBrid Nano polisher)

Ideally, I would love to do something like below, but there is no easy access to power where I'd want to locate this.

ccs101.jpg

So, I came up with something that would suit my chosen location. This area is where I have charged batteries from for a while, but in a very disorganized way.

(An old image taken before the flooring went down, and even before chargers got located there.)

csl101.png

To start with, I decided to keep the polisher chargers above my chemical storage cabinet next to the sink, this charging station will be for outdoor power equipment and general tools.

Firstly, I bought a piece of dressed pine from the hardware store, which was cut into two identical pieces. I then sanded and painted both with paint I already had on hand.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/285-x-19mm-1-2m-dar-pine-premium_p8401502

I then secured the timbers to the racks using stainless steel bolts that I also had in stock. This created a gap between the two pieces of timer, allowing the power cords to route through to the back. It was then a matter of measuring and driving in screws to hang each charger, along with two power boards on the back. The EGO charger will remain free standing due to its size, and in theory leaving room for potential future additions.

IMG-0313.jpg

IMG-0318.jpg

I now just have to figure out some cable management to tidy things up and it will hopefully serve me well.
That actually looks great. I am fortunate so far. I have an odd ball Black and Decker 20V drill and hedge trimmer that uses the same battery. A Bosch 18V screw driver that is rarely used. My go to is Ryobi 18V and 40V so far. Plan on staying with the Ryobi architechture in the future if possible. Those chargers are mounted on my garage wall. The others stay in the cabinet....
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The struggle is real! I’m in the Ego and Kobalt camp and I don’t want to expand as much as I’d love to get into Milwaukee tools.

I found a nice three shelf unit from Kobalt with built-in power strip so that takes care of all the related power tool batteries. My Ego batts (I now have 6) all reside on the top of my tool box as I haven’t yet figured out a way to mount them anywhere else. Whoever drew up the electrical plans for my house did me no favors with only one power outlet across the entire back wall of my garage.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
those Flex and ShineMate attachments allow you to articulate the pad into whatever position needed
The articulating rigs would be much more useful but, as you said, the need for it would be very infrequent and probably not worth the expense.
Dremel has the same flex attachment and it is reasonably priced last time I looked. Some internet reports seem to suggest it would work on milwaukee as well, but double check obviously

71MJ26A+K1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Very nice. Firat time I have heard of Frostbite. I did order a bottle of M wash, it should be here today (among other things) from the Rag Co where I ordered some stuff during their 25th anniversary sale. I also LOVE the Rip N Rag, I bought a small roll and just got a larger roll, they are extremely handy and as you said, suprising good quality. DIY Detail Waterless wash I love to keep in my detail kit in the trunk (boot), is really handy for emergency touch ups (mainly bird bombs :) )
SOOO, I finally was able to use my bottle of Opticoat M wash today. HOLY COW, that stuff is freaking amazing. @DFB5.0 was absolutely spot on with this stuff. I used way more than I probably should, I put 10:1 in the foam canon and it made a nice clingy foam with my MTM PF22.2 and my 1.1 orfice and 1.2 GPM Pressure washer. I put about 100 mil in the bucket too, 3 gallons of water. Used a CARPRO Dab Dab wash mit (Amazing BTW) and that stuff is so freaking slick it blows me away. I was/am a CARPRO Reset fanatic, and this stuff is even better. Slick doesn't even describe it. And it rinses away so clean it blows my mind. To say I am a fan is an understatement. BUT, there is always a BUT, the fact that it only comes in a 500 mil bottle sucks :( whereas all my others I can get a Liter or bigger (Reset, GSF, NV Snow, etc, etc)... So, if you guys are on the fence about Opticoat M wash, I say try it, you will like it like Mikey (sorry I'm old, most won't get that reference LOL)...

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
SOOO, I finally was able to use my bottle of Opticoat M wash today. HOLY COW, that stuff is freaking amazing. @DFB5.0 was absolutely spot on with this stuff. I used way more than I probably should, I put 10:1 in the foam canon and it made a nice clingy foam with my MTM PF22.2 and my 1.1 orfice and 1.2 GPM Pressure washer. I put about 100 mil in the bucket too, 3 gallons of water. Used a CARPRO Dab Dab wash mit (Amazing BTW) and that stuff is so freaking slick it blows me away. I was/am a CARPRO Reset fanatic, and this stuff is even better. Slick doesn't even describe it. And it rinses away so clean it blows my mind. To say I am a fan is an understatement. BUT, there is always a BUT, the fact that it only comes in a 500 mil bottle sucks :( whereas all my others I can get a Liter or bigger (Reset, GSF, NV Snow, etc, etc)... So, if you guys are on the fence about Opticoat M wash, I say try it, you will like it like Mikey (sorry I'm old, most won't get that reference LOL)...

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg
This is a case of "you get what you pay for"!

I'm not sure why OPT don't offer larger bottles sizes of M-Wash, they do it for the regular car shampoo. I suspect it would be for add on sales or as a freebie after having a coating installed by an OPT accredited detailer. I think the 500ml tends to exaggerate the cost of M-Wash too.

Opti-Coat M-Wash 500ml - $22 USD
Opti-Coat M-Wash 500ml - $42.95 AUD

Carpro Reset 500ml - $15.99 USD
Carpro Reset 1000ml - $26.99 USD
Carpro Reset 500ml - $30.75 AUD
CAARPRO Reset 1000ml - $45.95 AUD

Koch Chemie GSF 1000ml - $27.99 USD
Koch Chemie GSF 1000ml - $53.95 AUD

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

I'm not sure why OPT don't offer larger bottles sizes of M-Wash, they do it for the regular car shampoo. I suspect it would be for add on sales or as a freebie after having a coating installed by an OPT accredited detailer. I think the 500ml tends to exaggerate the cost of M-Wash too.

OK, I will shut up now ;) I didn't realize the spread of cost for you over there. But yes, to get 1 liter for the cost of 16oz (473 mil) is a big spread even over here... I will only use M wash on occasion, GSF and Reset is fantastic too, and I do prefer the scent of Reset as well...

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

What’s minimum wage for Australia? When I was there about 10 years ago it was over $15 AUD an hour.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I too wondered about the absence of larger containers for Opti-M, D. But, even at US prices it's still too much for what you get. I'm gonna stick with Reset and that lovely scent.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
@DFB5.0 is there any drill brush attachments in your cabinet? I have the mach 1 birdsnest wheels and i have got to speed up my process. NOW i know it is what it is with a wheel of this level of complexity but sheesh. MY current process is as follows:

spray brake buster on wheels and tires and let sit for a few minutes.

-Scrub tires with brush
-scrub barrels with a long woolie thing
-use horsehair/whatever brush on calipers, lug nuts
-use rag company mittens on face/edge and the 74 arms
-finish with one rag thats been soaking in the wash bucket on the 108 corners of the rim cause for some reason after all that those little corners are still difficult.
-rinse

I love these rims. I love the pain. but if i could shed 5 minutes off the total process i would be happier.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
@DFB5.0 is there any drill brush attachments in your cabinet? I have the mach 1 birdsnest wheels and i have got to speed up my process. NOW i know it is what it is with a wheel of this level of complexity but sheesh. MY current process is as follows:

-Scrub tires with brush
-finish with one rag thats been soaking in the wash bucket on the 108 corners of the rim cause for some reason after all that those little corners are still difficult.
-rinse

I love these rims. I love the pain. but if i could shed 5 minutes off the total process i would be happier.
Are your wheels ceramic coated? If not and you don't plan to, at least consider using gyeon wet coat or something similar at the end of each wash. It will make your next wash a bit easier.

Honestly, I would just give up trying to maintain those wheels. I would just hit them with a basic cleanup and pressure wash, and be done with it. They get covered in brake dust after 2 days of driving anyways, and all those corners and spikes, jeesh... I hate my pp1 wheels cleanup and birds nest is 10x more.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

-Scrub tires with brush
-rinse

Those wheels look to be as painful to clean as the PP1 Wheels................................... I gave up and bought new wheels! :giggle:

Looking over your process and tools, you are on the right track.

One thing I would look at would be the XL synthetic brushes, something that was not around when I was dealing with those PP1 wheels. I've been using these quite a lot lately, the larger size and number of bristles helps speed up cleaning the wheel face and spokes. Expensive yes, but they are quite durable.

Detail Factory - Curveball XL Synthetic Brush | The Rag Company
Large Brush - Curved Grip, Large Soft Bristle Brush (maxshineusa.com)

IMG-0974.jpg

IMG-0982.jpg

IMG-0979.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
My latest article went live today, this time focusing on Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating.

Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating | Detailing Shed

ARMOUR Detail Supply Wheel Coating (detailingshed.com.au)
Armour Wheel Coating – Armour Detail Supply

While this brand has been available for a while in the USA, it has only just landed in Australia. Having imported it directly from the Armour Detail Supply, I've had the chance to use it a few times now prior to its official release in Australia.

While I don't think ceramic coatings are the be all and end all of paint protection, I still like waxes and sealants, however, they make a lot of sense for wheels. No other surface is subjected to as much contamination and abuse than wheels, having a coating on wheels makes cleaning so much easier. And in that regard, the Armour product is a clear winner for durability, slickness and hydrophobic behavior. It's one of my favorite product discoveries.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Are your wheels ceramic coated? If not and you don't plan to, at least consider using gyeon wet coat or something similar at the end of each wash. It will make your next wash a bit easier.

Honestly, I would just give up trying to maintain those wheels. I would just hit them with a basic cleanup and pressure wash, and be done with it. They get covered in brake dust after 2 days of driving anyways, and all those corners and spikes, jeesh... I hate my pp1 wheels cleanup and birds nest is 10x more.
Ceramic coating my wheels when they were brand new is one of the best car detailing decisions I've ever made.

I originally wanted to buy those Mach 1 HP wheels from Ford Performance but I am sure glad I didn't now.

I think I'd take them off, deep clean, and ceramic coat them for sure.
Sponsored