Tuner Can't Tune Car

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
have you done a compression test recently ? are you at the same compression ratio ??
also having heads done association with valve leaks.

I did the heads on mine after it blew up just for piece of mind. Replaced lifters , rockers , valves stem seals and I lapped the valves with permitex vapping paste.
‘this was wrong….its to cause 120-200 grit. And they leaked.
I ending up getting some 600 grit and 1000 grit diamond paste and they sealed perfect.
Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You don't have to be off a tooth to have it degreed off one way or the other. Maybe it's set advanced a bit which would reduce high rpm power? 100% sure the springs are good etc?
Care to elaborate on this? How could the OEM setup possibly be "set advanced" without being a tooth off?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Care to elaborate on this? How could the OEM setup possibly be "set advanced" without being a tooth off?
Mass production tolerances. The earlier 32V motors were famous for not being accurately timed. The dots match up and the engine goes down the line...

That's why they have adjustable aftermarket cam gears, or people modify them to advance/retard them.

I don't know how much of that has changed with the Coyotes.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Mass production tolerances. The earlier 32V motors were famous for not being accurately timed. The dots match up and the engine goes down the line...

That's why they have adjustable aftermarket cam gears, or people modify them to advance/retard them.

I don't know how much of that has changed with the Coyotes.
Apples and oranges to the Coyote. There is no way to advance or retard a properly timed VCT motor without deleting the VCT.[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I mean at some point, it might come down to that.

Now that I think about it for a second, I don't think the cams being advanced would lose that much power. Think about it this way, you said there's a 1 second difference in 60-130, right?

That's 50-60hp. I remember back in the 96-98 Cobra days, guys would retard their cams and at best gain 10-15hp (depending on how the car came from the factory).

Compression/leakdown tests? 100% sure it's the same compression ratio? It could be a combination of things, if it's just one thing wrong that's causing that much horsepower loss it's something pretty bad.

Do you have a dyno sheet of the current setup?
No dyno sheets unfortunately.

May have to do a compression test. I don’t want to because I dread them haha, was how I confirmed I melted my piston ring on my first engine.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’ll be honest I didn’t read through every message but just wanted to throw something out there. Stock MAF? The PMAS sometimes come with their no tune required MAF and you have to use the stock MAF if you are tuning the car.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I’ll be honest I didn’t read through every message but just wanted to throw something out there. Stock MAF? The PMAS sometimes come with their no tune required MAF and you have to use the stock MAF if you are tuning the car.
Ya stock maf

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Decided to go ahead with Juggernaut Performance Tuning. Hopefully, they can actually get the car tuned.

I think I am going to tell the tuner that I am switching and say if he wants to refund me I'll appreciate it but I'm not going to try and force him to refund me. Too much of a hassle already and I don't want to be frustrated about another thing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Loaded the lastest tune the dude sent me and still showing high fuel correction, 55+ lb/min maf, and threw 2 codes for imrc stuck open and closed.

I let him know I was switching tuners and told him I would appreciate a refund but understood tuning is typically a no refund deal.

Hopefully, I can update this thread with some good news. Luckily the JLT and PMAS maf diameters are really close so I have been able to run my Lund tunes during all of this (fuel correction seems to be almost 0 too). SCT X4 should get here early/mid next week and I already got a message from Juggernaut about my new tune so hopefully they will have a base file for me then too.

Mid Type Update: While typing this he responded that he would give me a refund.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Mid Type Update: While typing this he responded that he would give me a refund.
That's a standup guy.. most others would tell you to fook off ha-ha

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
That's a standup guy.. most others would tell you to fook off ha-ha
Ya, he is a nice guy. That's why I didn't bash him on the forums.

He gives customers his personal phone number and will call you on the phone if you want. He sent tune updates mid-vacation, late at night, and on weekends.

Almost no tuners offer the level of customer service he does and I don't want to ruin his company just because he was struggling to tune my car. Haven't heard a bad thing from anyone else about him so hopefully it's just a one-off issue.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
And yer 100% sure there's no vacuum leak anywhere ?
Pretty sure my Lund tune runs just fine. I guess we will see when Juggernaut gets tuning it
Sponsored