OP

Oilspot6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Convertible
2000 is definitely a positive thing but, why would anyone buy a tune for a 'Totally' stock mustang. The benefits would have to be close to negligible.
Well there’s the rub. I’m still not convinced it was tuned. It was not locked using pCMTec software. I can see all the data even if I can’t really understand it. It’s not scrambled or blocked from view.

I won’t argue pro and con of tuning a stock vehicle here. There are other threads for that. However, I wouldn’t put it past someone who trades a car after four months to do a stock tune because it is quick and simple.
Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Although not my concern, since flashing the Ford Performance power pack 3 tune onto my 17 - I wonder what that does to resale.

There is no true “left over” wiring that one would find with a FP tune though.

It could also be one of those throttle modifiers, pedal commander or something.

OP
OP

Oilspot6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Although not my concern, since flashing the Ford Performance power pack 3 tune onto my 17 - I wonder what that does to resale.

Yes the wiring is puzzling. And one of the taps potentially damaged the factory wire and maybe that’s what is causing the dealer connection issue?? Not sure.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Well there’s the rub. I’m still not convinced it was tuned. It was not locked using pCMTec software. I can see all the data even if I can’t really understand it. It’s not scrambled or blocked from view.

I won’t argue pro and con of tuning a stock vehicle here. There are other threads for that. However, I wouldn’t put it past someone who trades a car after four months to do a stock tune because it is quick and simple.
I would take it to another dealer and get their take on it. Something doesn't seem right about this.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I would take it to another dealer and get their take on it. Something doesn't seem right about this.
Agreed. It's normal for IDS to complain when you hook up to a car that doesn't have the stock tune. But OP literally ensured it has the stock tune, lol. Unless the file he got isn't the same as the as built which seems unlikely.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
What bothers me is those wire taps are absolutely the worst way to splice into any wiring and especially ODB/CANbus wiring for any reason period. Any wiring for all the modules in our cars especially for the PCM sensors are using very small changes in voltages to tell the PCM what needs to be adjusted or modified to keep the engine/trans working within design parameters. Most all PCM signals are a 5 volt reference so using those wire taps will change the resistance of any wire they are attached to which in turn alters the voltage signal by increasing the resistance in said wire and changing the voltage signal the PCM is seeing.

Any connection a to a LIN or CANbus wire MUST have three actions performed to ensure the signal voltage/resistance is not altered at all.
1. A mechanical connection like a metal crimp securing the spliced wires together.
2. A soldered connection of the sliced wires to prevent voltage/resistance variances.
3. A sealed shrink wrap with heat activated sealing glue inside the shrink wrap so when it is heated/shrinked it seals the wire splice from all external elements.
Anything less it just asking for future issues from the complex wiring/systems in today's cars.

Those wires at the OBD port that have wire taps on them need at least to have the taps removed and cut and respliced per the above procedures.

BD

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

I guess as well as you sell it with the ProCal 3 in the car the resale value should probably be up a bit because it's an often done upgrade. I think though PP3 are not street legal there is a big yellow warning on the box. So that might be an issue if you sell to states that are very very strict with emissions like CA.

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Another trip to dealer and no joy. I’m reaching out to PCMTec for advice.

The technician mentioned aftermarket wiring at OBD2 connector. I was nervous but raced home and investigated. The were two wire taps , but no wires connected. I pulled the kick panel to be sure nothing remained and found nothing.
Would love to help however without knowing where those wires go (are they CAN? Power?).

Not many people modify the OBD2 connector unless maybe you hard mounted an oldschool ngauge or something (not sure how they are installed)

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
I guess as well as you sell it with the ProCal 3 in the car the resale value should probably be up a bit because it's an often done upgrade. I think though PP3 are not street legal there is a big yellow warning on the box. So that might be an issue if you sell to states that are very very strict with emissions like CA.
Fortunately it is legal! CARB numbers and all.

It’s the sole reason I went with it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Oilspot6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Looks like those two wires on the Gateway provide 12V power, so either a radar detector or dash cam power tap is my guess. The two wires are thicker than the other wires, perhaps because they are power wires?
What are the chances the Gateway Module is damaged? I can still connect with a generic OBD2 dongle and the OBDX Pro connector, so I would think the Gateway module is working, just not positive. Obviously, the dealer system is not connecting for some reason, when I am able to connect with two different readers. I will fire up the PCMTec software and review the "suspect" file a bit more carefully and see if anything jumps out to my novice eyes. Not sure that I will find anything but obviously it can't hurt anything at this point.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If PCMtec connects there is no reason for IDS not to. Find another dealer.

OP
OP

Oilspot6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
If PCMtec connects there is no reason for IDS not to. Find another dealer.
I will see if I can get in with another dealer down the road and see what happens. Should I tell them the other dealer is having trouble connecting to the vehicle? I hate to keep planting suspicion the car has been tuned. As best I can tell using the COMPARE feature in PCMTec software, I do not see any changed parameters (I'm a novice though so I could be wrong).

BTW, I checked the fuse for the Gateway and it looks fine, and I am reading 12V at the gateway and both diagnostic plugs are connecting with no issues.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
On the top center of the PCM page with tune opened it should have a string, something like HR3Z-1407-GG

go to calibration tools top left of your screen and click show tricore calibration list

Find the string in the page that opens up and verify it is for your model car. If it is Any Ford dealer can open it.
Sponsored