Sponsored

Transmission or Torque converter issue?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
For a while now after I start my car and put it in drive, it barely moves and seems to rev up to over 2k rpm without even hardly moving the car. After about 30 seconds of like barely being able to move it starts acting normal.. Im pretty confused by this since after its all warmed up it acts fine.. Anyone else experience this before or have any suggestions? I have changed the fluid within the last 20k miles and there doesnt appear to be any leaks. Feels like something is slipping or the torque converter is loose but it goes to normal within 30 seconds... IDK what do think or do about this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Could be a sticking valve body solenoid. Sounds like fluid pressure isn’t building immediately.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be a sticking valve body solenoid. Sounds like fluid pressure isn’t building immediately.
Do you think a transmission flush would be the right thing to try first?

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

I had this issue on my original factory 10r80 at around 48K miles, especially on cold morning and cold start. After tons of back and forth, test drives, weeks in the shop, my local ford dealer replaced entire trans under warranty and the issue is resolved. I still have other issues with my new 10r80 or drivetrain though.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I’m not a fan of “flushes”. You changed the fluid and filter 20K miles ago. Should be clean as a whistle in there for another 50K+

It hasn’t thrown a wrench light yet? It’s repeatable every cold start?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not a fan of “flushes”. You changed the fluid and filter 20K miles ago. Should be clean as a whistle in there for another 50K+

It hasn’t thrown a wrench light yet? It’s repeatable every cold start?
I did a trans relearn though my nguage and it was fine for 2 days but then started doing the same thing. Seems weird. I have an extended warranty(that I got for free from ford because I had tons of issues while stock) but I also have a whipple and custom tune now so I doubt warranty is an option. Its been on the same tune for years. No codes at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

I had this issue on my original factory 10r80 at around 48K miles, especially on cold morning and cold start. After tons of back and forth, test drives, weeks in the shop, my local ford dealer replaced entire trans under warranty and the issue is resolved. I still have other issues with my new 10r80 or drivetrain though.
Pretty similar in the beginning but without the stalling, and I am in 95* weather. Mine is only on the initial start of the day. Im at 62k miles with 23k miles at 800 wheel hp. What other issues do you have currently on the new trans?

Last edited:

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Pretty similar in the beginning but without the stalling, and I am in 95* weather. Mine is only on the initial start of the day. Im at 62k miles with 23k miles at 800 wheel hp. What other issues do you have currently on the new trans?
The stalling is near end stage before my trans was replaced. The lack of movement issue started it off for a few weeks and was progressively getting worst until the stall video.

This is what I am currently experiencing:

Clunking engaging D or R:

Clicking noises:

Clunking on gear changes or engagement:

The gear clunking video is from the original factory trans before replacement but new one is still clunky to some degree and less consistently happening(weird). This leads me to believe it is either an inherent issue with trans design, my cars ECU/TCU, or another aspect of my driveline (Driveshaft, U joint, or Differential).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Either the first gear clutch or bands are on their way out. Being a 10R80, I'm guessing the clutches.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either the first gear clutch or bands are on their way out. Being a 10R80, I'm guessing the clutches.
Even if I paddle it up to 2nd gear at a stop it does the same.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tried adding some trans fluid but that didnt help. 1/4 quart then another 1/2 quart.

Finally got some codes, P1744 and P2758 both related to torque converter, P1744 says " Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance" and P2758 says "Torque converter clutch pressure A control solenoid control circuit stuck on"

Car is at the shop

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shop replaced solenoid and it got better but some other code for "5th gear ratio incorrect" came up. It was doing some weird 4-5 shifting while it was also having the other problem. it would go into 4th and feel like it was in neutral revving up for a few seconds while at light throttle then catch. Shop says its good to go now though but I cant pick it up till Monday ill try to let you guys know what happened.

davbrucas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT premium, 2019 CTSV
Shop replaced solenoid and it got better but some other code for "5th gear ratio incorrect" came up. It was doing some weird 4-5 shifting while it was also having the other problem. it would go into 4th and feel like it was in neutral revving up for a few seconds while at light throttle then catch. Shop says its good to go now though but I cant pick it up till Monday ill try to let you guys know what happened.
Did you ever fix the flaring between shifts? Mine is doing the same but between 5-6th.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever fix the flaring between shifts? Mine is doing the same but between 5-6th.
Yes after I got it back it kept doing the flare at low throttle on 5-6th shifts. I decided to have the the trans rebuilt and they found the torque converter and some shaft was also damaged so it was also replaced. Now when it gets super cold over night, it flares on the 1-2 shift a few times before becoming normal, but I deleted first gear in my tune so its fine.
Sponsored

Last edited: