Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Getting things in order to drive the R home when it arrives. Roughly 600 miles

I was planning to tape up the front of the car with painters tape, but have been considering Trakk Tape. It states that it is safe for use on new vehicles, but wanted to hear some real world reviews. The car has matte black stripes, so I am also curious if it will be safe for those as well.
trakk tape.jpg
T Tape.jpg
Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Works great. A bit of a pain to put on, time consuming. No problem removing, no residual for me, left it on for one week the first time. Put it on as per instructions so it doesn't lift off while driving. Did it twice, once getting home and second to travel for ppf. Used 6 inch first time, 3 inch second and thought the 6 inch easier to apply. Go back on the front fenders a bit and in front of the rear wheels as is recommended for ppf as well to protect those areas.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I used trakk tape everytime I go to track.
just ordered a 2nd roll of 600ft. takes about 45mins for me to apply to the front end + 12'' hood

SixSpdCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
see signature
No issues here. Have used on the GT350 and the C6 with no issues. Will be using it tomorrow to prep for the track this Saturday.

Don't worry about air bubbles and getting it perfectly flat with the tool they provide. I just apply it manually and peel it off before I put the car back on the trailer at the end of the day. Well worth the investment if you ask me.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I used it for two track days last fall, and I bought a larger roll for future track days. I agree that it's definitely worth using.

Be aware that it's a temporary tape, and it WILL pull up at any exposed edges. My advice is to put it on the car before heading to the track, and bring some additional Trakk Tape (or blue painter's tape) to tape down the edges that have peeled up during your on-track sessions. The edges that peel up will grab loose debris and could, ironically, damage your paint if you don't remove and replace them in between sessions.

Sponsored

Mat8754

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I used it to drive my car across the country home. I also have the matte black stripes. It's really thick, and because of that it won't take curves well. The guy with that lotus must have spent a bunch of time getting it to look even that decent. So just expect a lot of folding and bubbles, but since it's temporary that doesn't really matter. I left it on my car for a week, and it left residue on the matte stripes that at first I couldn't get off, even with tar-remover. I thought that section of stripes might be ruined. What actually got it off though was just letting some soapy water soak into the residue, letting the residue dry, and rolling it off with my fingers.

Sponsored

Momentum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss302R, Z28, R8, Porsche GT3 Cup
It works great. As others have said, be sure the leading edge is flush with the body panel. Here you can see the dirt it will pick up when the tape starts to lift (on the rear gills).
MPTrackAug14.jpg

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I have used it several times. Very time consuming to apply properly but it does the job. No matter how much care in the install i can't seem to stop leading edges from peeling and having bugs/crap stuck to them. To me its a big downside as that grit and grime flapping against the paint does the opposite of protection.

Not sure if you saw Matt's video from obsessed garage about road warrior, but i am definitely going to try this stuff out. The time savings in terms of application vs the trakktape is huge, i also feel because of the ease of application that i will cover more parts that i would be less inclined to do with the tape. I will be giving this stuff a shot on the next track day

[ame]

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have used it several times. Very time consuming to apply properly but it does the job. No matter how much care in the install i can't seem to stop leading edges from peeling and having bugs/crap stuck to them. To me its a big downside as that grit and grime flapping against the paint does the opposite of protection.

Not sure if you saw Matt's video from obsessed garage about road warrior, but i am definitely going to try this stuff out. The time savings in terms of application vs the trakktape is huge, i also feel because of the ease of application that i will cover more parts that i would be less inclined to do with the tape. I will be giving this stuff a shot on the next track day

I agree, the tape takes awhile to apply. I saw Matt's vid, and while looking for more info on the stuff came across this, which some other people mentioned being a more 'industrial' version of the Road Warrior. The people who used it said the 1 gallon was enough to do the car several times.

http://generalchemicalcorp.mybigcommerce.com/paintshield-5720/

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thanks for the info Gents. I will definitely Check into the liquid wrap since I have never heard of it. The leading edges won't be a major concern, but that is a good point about them flapping during the drive. If I go that route I will be sure to keep them secure. Once the car gets back it's going straight in for PPF and Ceramic. Just need to keep the paint safe for the ride home.
Sponsored