Sponsored

The new GT500 will have some serious competition...

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
And a 10 speed, quick sifting auto...

Going to be very, very tough to match.

Then just imagine an AWD version.

It'd be spanking Lamborghini and Ferrari on the regular.
I'd still only ever drive a manual :shrug:
Sponsored

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Always felt the market needed $120-$150k mid engine car like 04 FGT40. Ford or Chevy needed to come up with $150k mid engine car.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Always felt the market needed $120-$150k mid engine car like 04 FGT40. Ford or Chevy needed to come up with $150k mid engine car.
It would be nice to see ANY mid engine. They don't even need to be cheap about it. Ford had taken 8,000 apps for a 450k car. I'm sure 4,000 of them would 'settle' for an aluminum would 325k GT

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
I'll wait until ford comes out with a gt500 or what ever it'll be. I can't bring myself to buy a dodge product.
I thought the same thing -- then I lost my mind and got a Hellcat. Really surprised me with how good it is. I expected a crap car with a fun engine. But it's really good! (Unless you want a canyon carver, then not so much.)

The problem is that that's already a surprisingly crowded segment. You've got the Audi R8, the Acura NSX, the 911 (not mid-engined but definitely a competitor), the AMG GT (front mid engined) and the upcoming Corvette. And of course customers rarely insist on a specific configuration so you've got Aston Martin, the Nissan GT-R and Maserati also competing for buyers in that price range.

And one thing automakers have learned again and again is that you don't create new buyers when you're the new guy in a segment -- you basically get a smaller and smaller slice of the pie as each new car is introduced.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The problem is that that's already a surprisingly crowded segment. You've got the Audi R8, the Acura NSX, the 911 (not mid-engined but definitely a competitor), the AMG GT (front mid engined) and the upcoming Corvette. And of course customers rarely insist on a specific configuration so you've got Aston Martin, the Nissan GT-R and Maserati also competing for buyers in that price range.

And one thing automakers have learned again and again is that you don't create new buyers when you're the new guy in a segment -- you basically get a smaller and smaller slice of the pie as each new car is introduced.
I believe there is a open market for a 200k AMERICAN auto mid engine. If ford got 8000 applicants for a 450k mid engine, I'm sure most of those would settle for a 200k +or - $ mid engine hi po car. This is why GM is going for it. I don't know if they will be successful if they brand it under Cadillac but I'd be a buyer for an American made mid engine with awesome performance.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I believe there is a open market for a 200k AMERICAN auto mid engine. If ford got 8000 applicants for a 450k mid engine, I'm sure most of those would settle for a 200k +or - $ mid engine hi po car. This is why GM is going for it. I don't know if they will be successful if they brand it under Cadillac but I'd be a buyer for an American made mid engine with awesome performance.
I agree. I'm definitely waiting to see what this GM mid engine engine car is. I think there' a market for a halo Mustang, not ZL1 equal 65k stang but a true range topper that comes in around 80k or so.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Im not expecting great performance cheap. Ford should be making a 150k + or - $ model...why not? Why not a separate division of ford that pumps put high performance cars only? I don't care if the thing is made on the same assembly line as its brother. If ford is doing it for the GT4 etc, why can't they do it for a street legal car

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Im not expecting great performance cheap. Ford should be making a 150k + or - $ model...why not? Why not a separate division of ford that pumps put high performance cars only? I don't care if the thing is made on the same assembly line as its brother. If ford is doing it for the GT4 etc, why can't they do it for a street legal car
Heck just add 1 or 2 high performance cars to Lincoln lineup.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Heck just add 1 or 2 high performance cars to Lincoln lineup.
I'm one of those guys that will not buy a GM Cadillac ME car. If it's branded Caddy, count me out . I know that's shallow but I've never wanted one and will never buy one. If lincoln brought a Pantera, I'd think about it...but I'd still debate it. Maybe without all the tech crap in it or luxury dodadds

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Why does everything have to be historic vehicles?GT40, GT350,GT500, cobra this and that...
Why not make some history TODAY!!
Come up with something new.. totally new performance car.
GT is great and all, but it's 750 cars total! How about something 10,000+ total.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
How about...random number - 15,000 S650 Mustang hybrids.
This vehicle will be truly historic:/

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Why does everything have to be historic vehicles?GT40, GT350,GT500, cobra this and that...
Why not make some history TODAY!!
Come up with something new.. totally new performance car.
GT is great and all, but it's 750 cars total! How about something 10,000+ total.

+1 :cheers:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
+2 :cheers:

Retro, retro, blah, blah, blah...

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
How about...random number - 15,000 S650 Mustang hybrids.
This vehicle will be truly historic:/
Haha! Yeah...sounds exciting! (Sarcasm meter =100%)

+1 :cheers:
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Let's bring in a 2 seater Ford. Can call it something other than a cobra 427. Just make the thing light as possible, we'll balanced with none of the tech/luxury BS and drop 650+ hp in it, make 5,000 a year and hear the good old doors open. Instead. .crickets and thoughts of 12 by 20.

Could someone at Ford tell me if the 3 non street able cars are counted as FP vehicles... GT4, cobra jet etc?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
+2 :cheers:

Retro, retro, blah, blah, blah...
Would be nice to see something fresh

It's almost like ford just wants to get to 2025 as fast as possible so they dont have to deal with us. They can just simply sell their hybrids!!
Sponsored