So im in scottsdale and.....

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’ve never seen one with the roof chopped off, Tom. Do you happen to know the backstory? I’m not super well versed in the 60’s GT40’s. Either way, really cool. Barret Jackson has been previewing some pretty cool stuff on their YouTube channel the last few weeks. Looks to be a great week of cars there.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I would have guessed it was a kit car.
It's legit to sell one at auction as long as the seller is honest about the car's origin and history, right?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would have guessed it was a kit car.
It's legit to sell one at auction as long as the seller is honest about the car's origin and history, right?
Yes there’s been plenty of Cobra clones that have gone through these auctions. So kit cars are fair game and at least the ones I’ve seen have all been disclosed as one up front.

Never even crossed my mind that the one pictured would be a kit car but that would make sense. I wouldn’t think any of the original GT40’s would have no roof but like I said, I’m not well versed in that era GT40.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Dang, I was out there last week, and I'll be out there again in another week. If I would have known, I would have scheduled accordingly!

Luckily the penske museum is open daily!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yes there’s been plenty of Cobra clones that have gone through these auctions. So kit cars are fair game and at least the ones I’ve seen have all been disclosed as one up front.

Never even crossed my mind that the one pictured would be a kit car but that would make sense. I wouldn’t think any of the original GT40’s would have no roof but like I said, I’m not well versed in that era GT40.

IIRC, there were a few.

Somewhere in the archives I have a book on them that goes into pretty good detail on the various iterations along with the individual chassis numbers.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
IIRC, there were a few.

Somewhere in the archives I have a book on them that goes into pretty good detail on the various iterations along with the individual chassis numbers.
Cool. If you happen to come across it, I’d be curious to know. I’ll do some research on my end at some point too.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Cool. If you happen to come across it, I’d be curious to know. I’ll do some research on my end at some point too.
I found the book last night. A relevant pic:

PXL_20240124_000219241.jpg

A quick Google search of the chassis number, GT/110, will net more pics and info.

Screenshot_20240123-181701.png

From what I was able to gather, there were only maybe five open cars built. The numbers get a little murky because different chassis were reconfigured, bastardized, and salvaged back in the day to make them serviceable.

At any rate, seeing one on the street would have been something. I'd wager the one Tom saw was probably one of the high end replicas and not the actual GT/110, but you never know.

The original GT40 remains my favorite automotive design.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I found the book last night. A relevant pic:

PXL_20240124_000219241.jpg

A quick Google search of the chassis number, GT/110, will net more pics and info.

Screenshot_20240123-181701.png

From what I was able to gather, there were only maybe five open cars built. The numbers get a little murky because different chassis were reconfigured, bastardized, and salvaged back in the day to make them serviceable.

At any rate, seeing one on the street would have been something. I'd wager the one Tom saw was probably one of the high end replicas and not the actual GT/110, but you never know.

The original GT40 remains my favorite automotive design.
Well, not really on a street. It was going from the auction block to a transport trailer across the street.

I was too lazy to look at the BJ roster, but I'd say it was probably one of the originals

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm back in Phoenix for 2 days. Maybe I'll spend more time over at Barrett Jackson.
Sponsored