Sponsored

Rust stain on R wheel

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
So I finally picked up my R and get it home, only to find that a screw was in the front tire the whole time. The pressure was low and we didn't think to look for a screw or nail. Got it patched today from the inside. Local tire shop that deals with a lot of high end stuff did great with the wheels. If you're in Nashville, definitely go to Gateway Tire. However, when we took the wheel off I see this huge stain. WTF?! The rotors were already really rusty (I dont mean the surface rust on the face of the disc), and after its first bath the rust just poured out onto the wheel. The funny thing is I dont recall this being a problem on my GT350, I guess not that funny. Those brakes were not rusted like this.

Two questions:

1. Is everyone else dealing with this crap?
2. Has anyone been successful in getting this stain out?

IMG_7009-1.JPG

IMG_7021-1.JPG

IMG_7025-1.JPG

IMG_7014-1.JPG

IMG_7017-1.JPG
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The rotors will rust after a wash or if you don't drive the car. I don't see anything amiss, it's surface rust and isn't a problem.

OP
OP
_M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
The rotors will rust after a wash or if you don't drive the car. I don't see anything amiss, it's surface rust and isn't a problem.
Its not the surface rust on the disc face that I am talking about, as I mentioned above. It is surface rust everywhere else as the rotors arrived rusted all over other areas unlike the rotors on my 350. My 350 rotors were perfectly clean of rust and never rusted in over a year and half outside of the face of the disc after a wash just like every other disc brake, but thats not what I am talking about. No other vehicle I have has rust like these rotors.

Anyway, the other main point is the nasty stain on the wheel itself where the thermo coating is...any advice there?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It is rust spewing off the rotor. Always drive thr car immediately after you wash it. I had a gt350 track pack before the R's and the rotors always rusted after a wash and would sort of lock the pad to the rotor unless it was driven immediately after a wash.

I know that's not what you are talking about, but a rusty rotor on a new car that has probably been sitting in a lot for a while out in the elements is normal. The triple yellow R I have is an example. There was some minor staining that was noticed after i got her home. I installed jack rails and swapped the wheels out with 6g wheels. When the carbon fiber wheels were removed, I got a scrub brush and some wheel cleaner and went to town. They came out like it never happened.

So you want advice. I suggest that if you want the stain gone, Jack it up, remove the front wheels, and go to town. After you wash the car immediately drive it. I suspect the stain will return over time, but if you use a wheel cleaner and drive it after you wash, it will go a lot longer between deep cleaning.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I guess that's a down side of having white ceramic coating on the inside of the wheels. It makes the rust or brake pad dust more obvious.

Reactions: _M_

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
OP
OP
_M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
OP
OP
_M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
[MENTION=21800]Tomster[/MENTION] yeah I hear you. I guess it's a consistent thing. I was planning on doing exactly what you're saying, but wanted to hear any success stories first and if this is a common issue with R wheels.

My 16 had no such issues as this. Yes it would get surface rust on the face of the disc and I experienced the same thing as you with the brake pads getting "stuck", but these rotors are rusted heavily on all the other surfaces. So much that there is literally a pool of rust sitting on the wheel after washing it again after I noticed it when getting the tire repaired.. Maybe after some less than gentle stopping it will help break it loose.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Cast iron bits outdoors ALWAYS rust. Surprising your prior experience was different. While I have not seen the rust staining inside the wheel, I also can't say I have ever looked at it on mine.

I would exercise a bit of caution with strong chemicals on the CF wheels. Am not a chemist, but can understand that something which works well on aluminum (vast majority of wheels are AL), may cause an issue on other materials.

Looks pretty pricey ($1/oz ...wow :eyebulge:)

Let us know how that stuff works. :cheers:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The wheels are painted... it would have to eat through the paint to cause any issues with the resin. Which it likely wouldn't either way.

Sponsored
OP
OP
_M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
[MENTION=19556]tdzee[/MENTION] Sonax is probably the safest wheel cleaner out there as far as actual wheel cleaners go

OP
OP
_M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Good to know. Maybe I'll try that next time. :headbang:
Just heard back from CarbonRev. They use an automotive clearcoat and no restriction on wheel cleaners

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
If it really starts to bother you then I'll trade you my car straight up. Problem solved. I'll be in Nashville in 2 weeks. We can iron out the details then. Ok great!
Sponsored

Last edited: