Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yes, the more I see this the more I’m getting pissed. I don’t give a crap about other makes issues in the past, this rate of failure(I am confident I the 6.whatever) is ridiculous. It’s 2018, not 1967. Also, I find it funny how easily people accept the same dealers will be changing an entire engine that we can’t seem to trust to do a simple oil change or install a splitter correctly by following written instructions. No thanks.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Can't say I'm surprised unfortunately.

"Largest displacement mass produced FPC V8" and "Reliability". Hard to have your cake and eat it too.

I'm very interested in the failure rate. Ford came out and addressed the Focus RS after they starting popping/drinking coolant. So perhaps this must be below RS failure rate...?

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Great customer service at Autonation Ford in Frisco, Tx. Engine blew last Friday at the track. Got it towed there on Friday evening. They called Ford Monday. New engine got there Wednesday. Tech already has it in (this is his 3rd one) and just waiting on coolers to arrive tomorrow to finish the work. Ford must have engines ready to go out :) I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow in detail and see if I can get any clarity. Probably not. Regardless, at least Ford is stepping up quickly.
Scary post, he's done 3 GT350 engines?????

edit: They knew you were on track when it happened?

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Scary post, he's done 3 GT350 engines?????

edit: They knew you were on track when it happened?
They didn't ask but I don't think it matters. Ford is not asking many questions from what I understand. My car has a Watson roll bar, Camber Plates, and Harness. It is only driven at the track.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
I appreciate your efforts and think there is validity in your analysis. However, the people who have been "hurled" are good people. Sorry there had to be a spat.
I am not interested in spats with anyone. I went out of my way to be crystal clear about what I was doing, how I did it, and why. Some “good people” (and I will take your word for it) decided to get rather personal and sometimes pretty aggressive. If my daughter were here she would say her Dad does not have a reverse gear - he never starts a fight, but he will always finish them. And if my wife were here (she doesn’t care about cars) she would tell you that she doesn’t understand why every time we take any trip in the Shelby, I have to check the damn oil - what’s wrong?

And since questions are being asked, why didn’t Ford put some mechanism in place that would be sensitive enough to detect when this car only had 80 percent of its oil? Something more than just issuing a bulletin? Who here has ever needed to check oil so often on a street car? Certainly Ford must realize that most people would not normally expect to perform an almost obsessive/compulsive level of oil checks? Clearly some of these failures are due to low oil levels on an engine that has too often shown a propensity for using a lot of oil? How about protecting their customers a bit more?

Sunlight is a good disinfectant. I work hard for my money like most here, and I invested $61k of it in my Shelby. I guess you invested well over double that. Something is going on here, and my little statistical analysis on the only data set available to me was my attempt to at least begin to quantify it, within all of the constraints I freely shared.

I like my Shelby and was excited to buy this car - my first Ford. I am a little less excited now, and may opt to shelve my plans to buy a GT 500.

I am just getting tired of this corporate behavior in general.

On a lighter note, I have gotten a multitude responses thanking me for this little data exercise.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I am not interested in spats with anyone. I went out of my way to be crystal clear about what I was doing, how I did it, and why. Some “good people” (and I will take your word for it) decided to get rather personal and sometimes pretty aggressive. If my daughter were here she would say her Dad does not have a reverse gear - he never starts a fight, but he will always finish them. And if my wife were here (she doesn’t care about cars) she would tell you that she doesn’t understand why every time we take any trip in the Shelby, I have to check the damn oil - what’s wrong?

And since questions are being asked, why didn’t Ford put some mechanism in place that would be sensitive enough to detect when this car only had 80 percent of its oil? Something more than just issuing a bulletin? Who here has ever needed to check oil so often on a street car? Certainly Ford must realize that most people would not normally expect to perform an almost obsessive/compulsive level of oil checks? Clearly some of these failures are due to low oil levels on an engine that has too often shown a propensity for using a lot of oil? How about protecting their customers a bit more?

Sunlight is a good disinfectant. I work hard for my money like most here, and I invested $61k of it in my Shelby. I guess you invested well over double that. Something is going on here, and my little statistical analysis on the only data set available to me was my attempt to at least begin to quantify it, within all of the constraints I freely shared.

I like my Shelby and was excited to buy this car - my first Ford. I am a little less excited now, and may opt to shelve my plans to buy a GT 500.

On a lighter note, I have gotten a multitude responses thanking me for this little data exercise.
Maybe that is what I am struggling with. The sort of who cares engines blow up all the time attitudes of some. You are so correct about the oil level monitoring we are asked to do. Every fill up?? Really. Hell I only get a couple hundred miles out of a tank. Again, in 2018?! I know how to check oil, but I don’t think it is reasonable to ask an owner of a 70k Car to check it every 200 miles, and if you don’t and your engine blows you are considered a negligent dumbass. Where the hell is the oil going anyway? I have owned damn near every make of car and many a mustang. But the lengths people will go to defend a brand is mind boggling. Ford has dicked something up here. Incredible car, love it but cmon. It is what it is.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

And did you see my "thanks" stamp? I guess I'm out too.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well one thing is for sure the members here seem to being blowing up more at each other than the number of engine that have blown. :cheers:
I think every one on this forum should call and write Ford EVERY day until we get answers. This IS NOT normal and it is not to be expected Yada Yada. Blowing engines for no consistent reason isn’t normal. Oil usage at some of the members levels is not normal or acceptable. We are letting Ford tell us these things are normal and acceptable when they are not. If this was happening over on the ZL1 forum we all would be saying what POSes they are. Chevy junk etc. well, the Ford did hards would.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I think every one on this forum should call and write Ford EVERY day until we get answers. This IS NOT normal and it is not to be expected Yada Yada. Blowing engines for no consistent reason isn’t normal. Oil usage at some of the members levels is not normal or acceptable. We are letting Ford tell us these things are normal and acceptable when they are not. If this was happening over on the ZL1 forum we all would be saying what POSes they are. Chevy junk etc. well, the Ford did hards would.
Yeah!!

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I know I have vented a little here and may seem overboard to a few. So let me clarify. I absolutely love this car. Every time I drive it, look at it or sometimes just think about I smile. HOWEVER, let’s look at what we as the GT350 community have been asked to endure for the privilege of owning this car after chunking down anywhere from $58 to in some cases $80k. Or more

Typically dumbass salesman who don’t know their product
Once the sale is complete, rolling the dice on the splitter install
Rolling the dice on the first and subsequent oil changes being done correctly
The possibility of oil filters spinning of due to the above.
Inconsistent and sometimes ridiculous oil usage
Because of the above, we are told to check the oil at 1960s type intervals
Due to the possible oil consumption and The Who the hell knows factor, watching your oil pressure gauge because you may not have checked you oil at just the right time or your engine may simply be blowing up due to The Who the hell knows factor.
And finally, if your engine does blow, turning it over to those great techs who struggled with 2 and 3 on the list to install your new motor that either may or may not have a fix for The Who the hell knows reason your original motor blew.

What a great ownership experience. Thanks Ford.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah, it's tough to figure out how big a problem the engine failures are based on a forum.

I will say it has me nervous to own this car out of warranty. Especially since the engine is what, 27K?

I know you can get an extended warranty, but are they going to warrant engines that fail on track?

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Replaced, but not blown...

My 2016 had 9000 miles, had been making a noise like an idler pulley bearing going bad, for nearly a year. It would take about 30 min for the noise to present itself @2000rpm. The dealer could not reproduce the issue a year ago. The engine also burned about 1 qt per 1000 miles, which was not ideal but I could live with as long as it didn't get worse.

Eventually, the noise would happen after 10 minutes or so. Back to the dealer it went.

They replaced the idler pulley... which did not fix the issue.

They ended up pulling the engine on orders from FP. No trash in the bearings from what I saw the time I went to check in and they had a rod cap off. Getting new engine, then not getting new engine, it flipped back and forth. Eventually, after nearly four weeks I got the car back with a new engine.

I still don't know the issue or if it was determined.

The new engine is a bit quieter in the sense it has less cold piston slap.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Replaced, but not blown...

My 2016 had 9000 miles, had been making a noise like an idler pulley bearing going bad, for nearly a year. It would take about 30 min for the noise to present itself @2000rpm. The dealer could not reproduce the issue a year ago. The engine also burned about 1 qt per 1000 miles, which was not ideal but I could live with as long as it didn't get worse.

Eventually, the noise would happen after 10 minutes or so. Back to the dealer it went.

They replaced the idler pulley... which did not fix the issue.

They ended up pulling the engine on orders from FP. No trash in the bearings from what I saw the time I went to check in and they had a rod cap off. Getting new engine, then not getting new engine, it flipped back and forth. Eventually, after nearly four weeks I got the car back with a new engine.

I still don't know the issue or if it was determined.

The new engine is a bit quieter in the sense it has less cold piston slap.
Based on your description, not appropriate to add your case to the frequency count. Hope those kind of problems are behind you...