Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I was looking to see if they mention anything about the oil pump gears - but they don't :)
Nope , same OPG . Originally it was to have been included but dropped it after they decided to use the GT 350 pan/oil pump.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Nope , same OPG . Originally it was to have been included but dropped it after they decided to use the GT 350 pan/oil pump.
That is what I thought. So they think it is definitely still good enough - and I assume they have access to the full data set on failure causes for Voodoos. That to me is food for thought :)

Dnbdamian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Oxford White GT350
I asked the service manager from the dealer I ordered my car from on how many they had come with engine failure and he said 2 and they diagnosed it to failure to check oil and ran the engine dry. Baffles me how someone would run an engine dry to point of failure.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
has anyone noticed their oil consumption start to taper off with higher miles? For the first 6k I was burning about 1 quart every 1k miles.
I was burning a lot early on and less now. But I was also able to correlate the consumption with my driving habits:

When I drive it like a old lady I get no consumption.
When I drive it full out I get no consumption.
When I make it growl, pop and crackle for extended periods during a drive — hang out around 4-6k with light load etc I burn oil like crazy.

Mr. Ed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Personally, I like the analysis being done and I fully understand and accept the numbers may not be representative of the actual % of cars blowing their engines. I also find it interesting that there are cars that use oil and cars that don't, and many of us seem to accept some oil usage. What we are really accepting is the inconsistencies of the QC on a hand built engine. I would be pissed if my engine used oil and others did not. If all these engines used a little oil than that would be fine with me as they are performance motors. That is not the case. I thought I was one of the lucky ones to have a 2017, 2500 mile GT350 that did not use a drop of oil until a large hole developed in the block. Shit happens and I understand that but these cars should have more reliable engines than I am seeing, regardless of the perceived failure rate. One additional note that may piss off a few. If you don't drive your car on the track then you really have not pushed the engine for extended periods of time so I would not expect you to throw a rod through the block. However, I would expect you to check your oil and never, ever, let an engine with 10 qts of oil run dry to where it trashes the engine.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
My R has been eating some oil... a little more than I'm comfortable with... Took it to the dealer, they said it's all good HA! I guess we wait and see.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What we are really accepting is the inconsistencies of the QC on a hand built engine.
I don't agree with that. Yes, some issues being discussed could be related to QC, but I don't think all of them are.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Data Update - Frequency Count Statistics

As previously mentioned in my Post #337, I would post updates to the frequency count analysis if and when additional data was identified. Last night, I confirmed that as a result of this thread, two additional first hand documented cases of engine failure were found. This brings the number of counted occurrences to 21. Before continuing, I just rechecked via Forum tools, the number of members listed as having or wanting, or interested in 2015 forward GT350s (listed in the comments column). The total count was 315 before reducing that count for people who said they wanted one, had the original Shelby GT350, vendors, etc. I, actually erred a bit on the plus side by a few cars when I established N=303 at that time. It should be a few cars less, but I will stick with the 303 number and that will be the absolute minimum. That number will only be increased if and when additional members join.

So the latest percentage now reads as 6.9%. Again, this is just a frequency count statistical exercise against the only pool of over 300 cars I have access to. It is subject to all the constraints and limitations I previously defined. It is information which may or may not be of interest. It is of some interest to me, as an owner.

I think all the slings and arrows from those folks who don't like this statistical exercise have already been hurled. If you feel the need to throw more "stuff" have at it, I don't care.

For those many of you who provided both private and public support for this exercise, thank you again. You get it...

:thumbsup:

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Great customer service at Autonation Ford in Frisco, Tx. Engine blew last Friday at the track. Got it towed there on Friday evening. They called Ford Monday. New engine got there Wednesday. Tech already has it in (this is his 3rd one) and just waiting on coolers to arrive tomorrow to finish the work. Ford must have engines ready to go out :) I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow in detail and see if I can get any clarity. Probably not. Regardless, at least Ford is stepping up quickly.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I appreciate your efforts and think there is validity in your analysis. However, the people who have been "hurled" are good people. Sorry there had to be a spat.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Great customer service at Autonation Ford in Frisco, Tx. Engine blew last Friday at the track. Got it towed there on Friday evening. They called Ford Monday. New engine got there Wednesday. Tech already has it in (this is his 3rd one) and just waiting on coolers to arrive tomorrow to finish the work. Ford must have engines ready to go out :) I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow in detail and see if I can get any clarity. Probably not. Regardless, at least Ford is stepping up quickly.
I just don’t know if I would call it stepping up at this point. This is the third for
that tech? I would think stepping up would be solving this problem. That is ridiculous. This thread is ridiculous, blown engine thread. Wow. Anyway.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What was your mileage?

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I just don’t know if I would call it stepping up at this point. This is the third for
that tech? I would think stepping up would be solving this problem. That is ridiculous. This thread is ridiculous, blown engine thread. Wow. Anyway.
I hear ya. Just trying to keep it half full :) I only track this car so we will see how well engine #2 holds up.....