Sponsored

Possibly buying GT350 today, any last minute advice?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
They fail to properly seat the rings,
The worst thing for this type of engine is to baby it when new. It needs to see high RPM and coast down to "properly seat rings" This aint the 1980's anymore with cast or chrome rings and heavy honing.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Except what's weird is that it only burns it if I do a lot of high rpm fooling around or especially engine braking. I've tested this. 2000 highway miles with cruise control? Not 1 drop burned. It's definitely something to do with excess engine vacuum. Maybe my engine seals are just too good 🤷
This is a classic sign of rings not fully seated.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You don't want to beat it to death but you do want to run it up to redline and then let it coast down in gear. This sucks oil up past the rings and cools them while allowing them to seat.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats OP, you have one of my five dream cars (I own one of my dream cars currently surprisingly! Others are a GT350/R, a 65 coupe on a 2016 gt frame, a Mach 1 of any year with PP, and a second manual V6 from 2017 as a daily...all in Deep Impact Blue. Eheh...one day maybe). I am very young and hope to be in your shoes one day. Congrats again!

Sponsored

Paddles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Maybe they'll seat one day lol. It's not a big enough deal to matter, although it's probably not good for ye olde knock counts.
Not to hijack this thread or anything but is it possible to seat rings after the break in period? I thought the honing marks would wear smooth after a while?

Also, wow OP your new car is legit congrats man!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Not to hijack this thread or anything but is it possible to seat rings after the break in period? I thought the honing marks would wear smooth after a while?
Supposedly no, but I feel like things have improved from new to now. The plasma liners are super hard compared to normal sleeves so I couldn't say how wear will go over time.

Two things I do know is that my last oil analysis showed extremely low wear, including iron particles, and that when I scoped the cylinders I didn't see any scoring or anything abnormal. So I'm just gonna keep driving it.

To stay on topic, OP your car and spec is awesome. You better enjoy it!

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
You don't want to beat it to death but you do want to run it up to redline and then let it coast down in gear. This sucks oil up past the rings and cools them while allowing them to seat.
Running it up to redline early on is not good. For the first 500 miles, you should avoid going over 4k rpms. You definitely want to coast down in gear. The engine braking vacuum is what seats the rings more than anything else.
Then from 500-1k miles, I avoided going over 6k rpms. After 1,100 miles, it was all out.
Obsessive maybe, disciplined extremely. But at 17K miles now, I never have to add oil between my yearly oil changes. The only oil I lose is the 2-3 ozs my oil seperator filters out.And I consistently drive in the 7k-8k rpm range now.
Break in the engine correctly, and barring any inherent mechanical defects, your engine will last and perform as it should.
Sponsored