Sponsored

Possibly buying GT350 today, any last minute advice?

GT350Keith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
1969 Shelby GT350, 1991 300ZX TT, 2018 GT350
Your going to love this car. Hope your not suffering any of the flooding down there so you can enjoy your car.
Sponsored

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Your going to love this car. Hope your not suffering any of the flooding down there so you can enjoy your car.
My car is hiding from the flooding in the garage, lol.

GT350Keith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
1969 Shelby GT350, 1991 300ZX TT, 2018 GT350

Sponsored

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Great buy!!! That's the exact same car...color combo that I wouldn't be able to walk away from! Hell......I'd do unspeakable things....probably for a Grabber Blue one!!! 350....500....MACh....GT.....etc....they're all fabulous cars!!! Enjoy the damn thing and see what Zak @ Granger Ford can do for a warranty!

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
If you track it then the warranty will prob not cover it so be careful if you do. There is a lengthy thread about warranty and track in the 350 section.

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Don't disagree with you at all on some change being made. However, many Gen 1 engines with supposed same low tension rings don't burn any oil either. My point being the ones that consume a lot have something wrong other than "low tension rings". In my case was scored walls in three cylinders. Whether due to defective rings or defective treatment of the cylinder walls to begin with, something clearly different between my engine and those that don't consume oil. Therefore stand by my statement of check it out if that high of consumption.
If you read the thread, driving style may have something to do with how an engine consumes oil. And running your engine low on oil can also cause scoring on cylinder walls. Of cours
Don't disagree with you at all on some change being made. However, many Gen 1 engines with supposed same low tension rings don't burn any oil either. My point being the ones that consume a lot have something wrong other than "low tension rings". In my case was scored walls in three cylinders. Whether due to defective rings or defective treatment of the cylinder walls to begin with, something clearly different between my engine and those that don't consume oil. Therefore stand by my statement of check it out if that high of consumption.
If you had read the thread, they think driving style may have something to do with how an engine consumes oil. Running an engine low on oil may also cause scoring on cylinder walls. Of course, you nor any other voodoo owner has ever been documented at being at fault for doing such a thing.

Of course, you may have had a faulty motor, but on the same hand, i think it's safe to say that at least 50% of voodoo failures could very well be 'user error'.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Of course, you may have had a faulty motor, but on the same hand, i think it's safe to say that at least 50% of voodoo failures could very well be 'user error'.
Please explain.

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
People not checking their oil.
I know you are hard to convince but my oil level was checked religiously every 250 to 500 miles and never more than 1-1.5 quarts low because I was aware of the problem and never got on it until engine temp around 190 degrees. Your suggestion of 50% user error is completely unsubstantiated. Look I love my car, plan on keeping it till I die, love it even more with the new engine, and can still admit that Ford screwed up somehow in an unknown percentage of 2016-early 2018 model engines for reasons unknown and unknowable. I don't have a personal problem with that as long as it was covered under warranty. If Ford thought it was user error I think they would have fought harder to deny coverage for that number of engines. Interestingly while it may have happened rarely there are very few to no reports of non-raced replacement engines going south. I would strongly suggest anyone purchasing one of those model years with the original engine to get a compression/leak down test done before buying. Caveat emptor. YMMV

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I agree with that. But I don't think it has to do with them not checking their oil enough. I believe it starts with how they don't break in their engine properly. Too many new owners get their new car, and then drive it like they stole it right from the beginning. They fail to properly seat the rings, and then that leads to excess oil consumption. To that end, I blame Ford for not stressing enough the proper break in procedures for this type of engine.
And then there's the ones who will drive their cars running high rpm's before the cars oil reaches proper operating temp(180°). With 50wt oil, you better make sure the oil is hot , and flowing freely. Why do you think race cars do so many warmup laps before the race begins?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I agree with that. But I don't think it has to do with them not checking their oil enough. I believe it starts with how they don't break in their engine properly. Too many new owners get their new car, and then drive it like they stole it right from the beginning. They fail to properly seat the rings, and then that leads to excess oil consumption. To that end, I blame Ford for not stressing enough the proper break in procedures for this type of engine.
And then there's the ones who will drive their cars running high rpm's before the cars oil reaches proper operating temp(180°). With 50wt oil, you better make sure the oil is hot , and flowing freely. Why do you think race cars do so many warmup laps before the race begins?
I've heard both theories and don't know what to believe anymore, lol. Some on here say you have to beat it to death for it to seal. I know the 5.0 is different, but I did a normal engine break in without beating on it. Just varied the rpm. And mine burns 1 quart every 2k miles thereabouts. Except what's weird is that it only burns it if I do a lot of high rpm fooling around or especially engine braking. I've tested this. 2000 highway miles with cruise control? Not 1 drop burned. It's definitely something to do with excess engine vacuum. Maybe my engine seals are just too good 🤷
Sponsored