OIL Drain plug

Pipefittermax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2306
Any idea how many times you can re-use the oil drain plug. Should you use a new one with every oil change or is the plug good for several oil changes?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea how many times you can re-use the oil drain plug. Should you use a new one with every oil change or is the plug good for several oil changes?
What does your owners manual say ?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
It should be good. As long as the gasket looks in good shape reuse it. There are some aftermarket plugs but I don’t have any experience with them for these cars. My inclination is to be a little hesitant of something that isn’t oem. Seems like an easy way to get a warranty denial

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
What does your owners manual say ?
I didn’t see oil change instructions in the 2021 owners manual. I see they are different now….no longer a bolt, but a plastic plug per a youtube video I came acros.

I assume the drain plug is reusable for the long term…may be prudent to change the o ring at some point though. I purchased another plug just in case though.

Last edited:

STHENRY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
I am unable to speak for the mustang as I am still waiting on my order, however the plastic plug on my Raptor has to be replaced every other oil change.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I didn’t see oil change instructions in the 2021 owners manual. I see they are different now….no longer a bolt, but a plastic plug per a youtube video I came acros.

I assume the drain plug is reusable for the long term…may be prudent to change the o ring at some point though. I purchased another plug just in case though.
I just flipped through it and I don’t see anything either

I am unable to speak for the mustang as I am still waiting on my order, however the plastic plug on my Raptor has to be replaced every other oil change.
Interesting. I’m surprised it’s any different from the mustang plug

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
This appears to be one of the better aftermarket options, only concern is one review mentioned the entire plug falling out and the sump losing all oil. Installation error is the most likely cause but its a little off putting to read that. Otherwise nothing but positive reviews for this sump plug.
Sitting on the fence as to whether its worth it to move away from the factory sump plug.

Last edited:

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
This appears to be one of the better aftermarket options, only concern is one review mentioned the entire plug falling out and the sump loosing all oil. Installation error is the most likely cause but its a little off putting to read that. Otherwise nothing but positive reviews for this sump plug.
Sitting on the fence as to whether its worth it to move away from the factory sump plug.
That’s kinda where I’m at… I’m really interest and like the idea, just tentative when it comes to something where failure can be catastrophic.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
There is a thread about the Femco with a lot of information.

Femco thread

I have yet to install mine but sitting with it as I'm writing this... I have no concern of it failing and that one situation might as well be installation error or similar.

I'm eager to both install it but also to test out the function of it the upcoming oilchange afterwards 👍

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have a Femco one ready to go on this car. I've used their plugs on many vehicles and they are great. I think the hose connections I have now will even work with this plastic plug they designed. I'm just waiting for my next oil change to install it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have had a Ronin on my '19 F150 which has performed flawlessly. No complaints. It has saved a ton of aggravation.

However, I am going to replace it with a Femco at the next oil change for one reason: the Femco has locking tabs like the OEM drain plug.

As an aside, there's a special place reserved in hell for the Ford engineer(s) that thought it would be a good idea to run the front sway bar directly in the path of drain oil on the F150s with the 5.0....

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
As an aside, there's a special place reserved in hell for the Ford engineer(s) that thought it would be a good idea to run the front sway bar directly in the path of drain oil on the F150s with the 5.0....
I'm thinking something similar about the strut-brace and oil level dip stick right below it 😁

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I've reused the plug for the last two oil changes on my 2019, and the o-ring still looks pristine. No drips/leaks, etc.

I do plan on installing a new plug next time around, as I don't want to tempt fate for a third time. I figure reusing the plug once or twice isn't a huge deal.

Your mileage may vary, professional driver on a closed course, and whatnot...

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I know a guy at work who had his GT350 out on a track day and the plug fell out. Of note, it was an aftermarket metal plug, not the OEM plastic. Not sure what brand.

I have to wonder if the additional weight of a metal plug bouncing around and vibrating contributed to the loss of the plug.
Sponsored