Not to scare you guys

OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Picked it up this morning, dealer said the filter worked itself lose due to vibration.. the oil change was so long ago its hard to say how they tightened it. I could have gotten under there myself and fixed it, but I wanted to also get it documented just in case.

I had the 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe (first year) with oil consumption issues, the engine eventually blew on the interstate and I had to fight with Nissan to honor the warranty. I'm not taking chances any more, and if things do go south in the future I want a paper trail.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Picked it up this morning, dealer said the filter worked itself lose due to vibration.. the oil change was so long ago its hard to say how they tightened it. I could have gotten under there myself and fixed it, but I wanted to also get it documented just in case.

I had the 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe (first year) with oil consumption issues, the engine eventually blew on the interstate and I had to fight with Nissan to honor the warranty. I'm not taking chances any more, and if things do go south in the future I want a paper trail.
Good idea for the documentation.

Have you checked to see if they torqued it correctly now? Check while the engine is cold if you can.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I had mine up on the lift this past weekend, and while I was under there, I checked the filter for leaks/torque. No leaks, although it did seem to have backed off just slightly. This could have been from not getting it tight enough in the first place, however, because when I changed the filter 3000 miles ago, the hand-tight vs. torque wrench debate hadn't happened yet. I went ahead and tightened it hand-tight again, and will continue to monitor every few thousand miles until it's time to change.

On a side note, did anyone ever test a "hand tight" filter with a torque wrench and see how close that is to the torque spec? I don't have one that would be accurate at that level, or I'd be happy to do it and report the results.

OP, very glad it was an easy fix. I'd have literally shit down both legs if I opened my garage and saw that sight! :eyebulge:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Looks like a murder scene, glad to see this was an easy fix

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
That's exactly the way to do it!
Good luck.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone that thinks this engine doesn’t have SIGNIFICANT vibrations is just wrong. Just because you don't feel them inside the car doesn't mean they're not there - they're very well damped! There are dampers all over that engine/powertrain to counter or damp the shaking vibrations from the big flat plane engine that it is. This is physics. Please don't make a fool of yourself by denying they exist.

OP,
Glad it happened in your garage and this makes it so clear how important it is to read the manuals for very high performance vehicles like this.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I had mine up on the lift this past weekend, and while I was under there, I checked the filter for leaks/torque. No leaks, although it did seem to have backed off just slightly. This could have been from not getting it tight enough in the first place, however, because when I changed the filter 3000 miles ago, the hand-tight vs. torque wrench debate hadn't happened yet. I went ahead and tightened it hand-tight again, and will continue to monitor every few thousand miles until it's time to change.

On a side note, did anyone ever test a "hand tight" filter with a torque wrench and see how close that is to the torque spec? I don't have one that would be accurate at that level, or I'd be happy to do it and report the results.

OP, very glad it was an easy fix. I'd have literally shit down both legs if I opened my garage and saw that sight! :eyebulge:
I can comment on hand tight vs torque wrenched.....
I never updated my thread I started regarding my oil change experience. My filter socket broke so I hand tightened with both hands using sandpaper. I then got a replacement socket about a week later. I set the torque wrench to 18lbs and I was able to still turn the filter. Can't say how much. Wasn't much....maybe 1/4 turn? Maybe 1/3 turn? Bottom line is it still turned and I hand tightened like a mother F'er. I thought no way a torque wrench would pull more twist. I was wrong.
I removed my filter with oil filter removal pliers and yeah it damages the filter when removing, but it comes off fairly easy. I'm going to get under the car in the next few weeks and try to retorque to see if it had backed out any'duemto vibration. I'm thinking lock tight may be an excellent solution.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm thinking lock tight may be an excellent solution.
I would definitely NOT use Loctite on the oil filter. Loctite will set up and make a bunch of little crumbs/boogers on the threads when you change filters. Just think of all that garbage going through the engine's oiling system.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I would definitely NOT use Loctite on the oil filter. Loctite will set up and make a bunch of little crumbs/boogers on the threads when you change filters. Just think of all that garbage going through the engine's oiling system.
Yes that is a very bad idea. :headbonk:

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
No locktite. I would periodically check the filter however. It seems like good common practice for owning a unique car like this.

MidloGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Anyone that thinks this engine doesn’t have SIGNIFICANT vibrations is just wrong. Just because you don't feel them inside the car doesn't mean they're not there - they're very well damped! There are dampers all over that engine/powertrain to counter or damp the shaking vibrations from the big flat plane engine that it is. This is physics. Please don't make a fool of yourself by denying they exist.

OP,
Glad it happened in your garage and this makes it so clear how important it is to read the manuals for very high performance vehicles like this.
Calm down bro. Nobody is claiming they don't exist. We are just saying they're not felt as bad as others have reported. I'm sure there's vibrations, but it's not something they didn't design on while in engineering.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Does anyone have a brand or part number for a cap-style wrench that will fit our filters? It's a 14-flute filter, but I'm not sure of the diameter measurement.

Thx.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Use only the Ford filter which has pink stuff on the filter which helps keep it tight. You must toque the filter to 18lbs. Read the sup manual for filter type and toque required. I'm changing mine @ 500 miles because of contamination that has occurred on these engines. Not a problem but a condition that has shown up.
Sponsored