Sponsored

Not to scare you guys

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I had a similar situation happen to me. Wonder how many Ford dealers have the torque wrench tool as they should? Mine did not.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Even Ford says the Voodoo vibrates more.
People are having problems differentiating vibrations with roughness.

Not the same.

For example my old 2008 civic si. Honda buttery smooth 4 cyl. However, it revved and at 8600 (stock with a tune) it vibrates.

In fact, Honda built a special oil pump for the specific engine (K20z3 model) that has two balancing shafts. These shafts have proven dyno loss of 6-8whp over other K20 oil pumps.

Long story short - vibes aren't roughness.

buggy whip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford pinto, '16 GT350/OxFo/ Trac/Stripe delete
Did the filter work it self loose or was it the line ?
I'll be underneath mine tonight checking.

That's making me nervous...
I'll keep a closer look on the oil pressure gauge, while running.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Would it have been an "oh well" had it let go on the highway? Just saying...
You're super freaking lucky it let go in your garage :cheers:
Absolutely not, but I'm a little dumbfounded by the whole thing. At 7k miles id be willing to bet most owners haven't come close to redline like I have, not due to the miles, but how I drive. When I got this I resolved to push the engine before my warranty ran out to know if there is longevity, or if I need to move on.

My feelings are mixed right now. I agree with others here about vibration and Im coming from ttwo different G35 coupes previously. It's not my daily driver but do I want to roll the dice on this happening on the road?

I'm going to continue forward for now, but if this happens again or something similar I would probably move on.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Absolutely not, but I'm a little dumbfounded by the whole thing. At 7k miles id be willing to bet most owners haven't come close to redline like I have, not due to the miles, but how I drive. When I got this I resolved to push the engine before my warranty ran out to know if there is longevity, or if I need to move on.

My feelings are mixed right now. I agree with others here about vibration and Im coming from ttwo different G35 coupes previously. It's not my daily driver but do I want to roll the dice on this happening on the road?

I'm going to continue forward for now, but if this happens again or something similar I would probably move on.
Sucks to hear. The saving grace is if you're going to continue using your dealership for oil changes they will likely always torque to correct spec from now on. As insurance you could double check it - I know it's silly.

On the same subject, Ferrari filters have a torque of 25Nm to be applied (19ft/lbs) for changes. You can bet their techs are complying (hopefully).

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Put your hand on the oil filter with the engine running. You'll see what we mean by vibration. Vibration is NOT rough running. It has more to do with the frequency of the movement which if the filter isn't torqued down enough is more than enough to slowly work it free over a few thousand miles.
What you are feeling at the oil filter is the the oil hydraulic pressure pulse cycling through the engine, not vibration from the the engine components and the overall balance condition of the engine. Due to the higher oil pressure that this engine develops, filter installation will require properly torquing the filter, more so than your normal passenger car engine.

OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Did the filter work it self loose or was it the line ?
I'll be underneath mine tonight checking.

That's making me nervous...
I'll keep a closer look on the oil pressure gauge, while running.
Completely on its own. Last oil change I had was three months and about 2k miles ago. This wasn't a newly installed filter, this was done by itself

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
What you are feeling at the oil filter is the the oil hydraulic pressure pulse cycling through the engine, not vibration from the the engine components and the overall balance condition of the engine. Due to the higher oil pressure that this engine develops, filter installation will require properly torquing the filter, more so than your normal passenger car engine.
Respectfully disagree. Oil pressures aren't significantly higher than a Coyote. Some of the engineers have discussed engine vibration in videos, I'm not sure that's controversial.

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Completely on its own. Last oil change I had was three months and about 2k miles ago. This wasn't a newly installed filter, this was done by itself
So the resolution is to torque the oil filter to 17 ft-lbs each time? :eyebulge:
That's gonna suck taking off the filter. It's bad enough for me removing a filter that's hand tightened after 3K miles.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
So the resolution is to torque the oil filter to 17 ft-lbs each time? :eyebulge:
That's gonna suck taking off the filter. It's bad enough for me removing a filter that's hand tightened after 3K miles.
It does suck indeed. You need a filter cap to torque and untorque. Hand torque at your own risk.

Sponsored

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I don't know why it's so hard to tighten an oil filter with a wrench?

I actually thinks it's gratifying to reach a certain spec over "good n'tight"

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Would it have been an "oh well" had it let go on the highway? Just saying...
You're super freaking lucky it let go in your garage :cheers:
This might of what happened to my engine, but I wasn't lucky and it did not happen in my garage :frusty:

redleg322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord 2.0t Touring, '17 GT350
Most VQ35/37 nissan owners don't notice, though. I didn't think it was that bad, but then you get in a 3.8L porsche, rev it to 7500 and realize what balance is. lol

OP, please update us on what it is. Hopefully it all works out.

EDIT; nevermind I see you posted what it was. Glad it wasn't anything worse!

It was the Oil filter. Super strange cause I had the oil changed a couple months and 2k miles ago.. Oh well

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
This might of what happened to my engine, but I wasn't lucky and it did not happen in my garage :frusty:
I hadn't heard...did your engine seize? Really sorry to hear if it did, Blaze.

With the growing list of things to worry about on the GT350, Ford should be offering a anti-anxiety meds (Valium, Xanax...) with every purchase :D
Sponsored