stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
He might be the better IRL but my opinion has taken many moons to come to this conclusion. You just explained in a very polite way his opinion is bought and paid for, not very flattering IMHO
Perhaps bought and paid for - I’m just saying that I don’t condemn the guy as a human being. Part of it is his job. I don’t have to agree. The brainless followers are super annoying, though. ;)
Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
Another thread that just goes in ever tightening circles . 🍿

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Says the guy who has never owned a CF wheel.

I am enjoying this conversation.

Let me guess, another 5.0 GT guy.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The thing about CF wheels is that they're notch sensitive which may be a headache some owners don't want to deal with. Properly maintained they can last for years but it can be a PITA if you're not one of those types that meticulously maintains your car. Aluminum isn't notch sensitive and AFAIK magnesium isn't either, but it has other issues.
So carbon fiber isn't my area of expertise, but we can all use a little common sense here.

Carbon fiber is a plastic/epoxy base with fibers in it. It is not a uniform material. If you notch it, you are not creating a high stress point that will propogate like cracks propogate in a uniform material. The plastic base material has a relatively high elongation characteristic, which means it is NOT brittle. The carbon fibers have extreme tensile strength, but not much strength in bending. SO the CF is set up in a weave with multiple strand orientations to give the part strength.

If you consider the makeup of CF, without any other information my assumption is that it will be much more notch resistant than aluminum, steel or magnesium. Uniform metals have a lower elongation than the plastic base of CF. Yes, a single carbon strand will have very little notch resistance, but there is no notch in the next carbon strand. This is what makes a composite material much more notch resistant than a uniform material. Cracks do not act as stress concentrators in the same way as they would in a metal part, and therefore cracks don't propogate through the part in the same way.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Perhaps bought and paid for - I’m just saying that I don’t condemn the guy as a human being. Part of it is his job. I don’t have to agree. The brainless followers are super annoying, though. ;)
Im tired of so-called journalists.

But here you are posting

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
CF wheel related.....
My Prusa MK4 3D printer will be arriving in a few days. I am currently in the process of scanning a CF wheel for the purposes of making molds for some severely damaged wheels I bought.

20231022_115324.jpg

20231022_115334.jpg

20231022_115417.jpg
Sponsored