Newsflash CF wheels are garbage

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
According to Matt, these wheels are trash and the fad is over. Everyone hates them, lol. Sell yours to me cheap.

I get that a lot of people store them but that’s mainly to preserve them cosmetically. The nut swingers in the above post are convinced that a rock chip will cause them to be ruined.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for posting. It's interesting to hear that. Prior to this I had only heard positive things about the carbon fiber wheels.

I always felt like CF wheels were a way better idea than carbon brakes. Yes, wheels can be thought of as a wear item, but they should last a relatively long time compared to brakes.

Probably the reason for the magnesium wheels on the GTD is because it's not a production car. I think CF wheels are illegal in some racing - probably because they are expensive and too much better than any other material. Or maybe, based on this video, CF is too fragile for racing.

I'll be interested to hear feedback from people on here who have a lot of track and street miles on their CF wheels. The GT350R has been around for 8 years now. Is there anyone out there with 100,000 miles on some CF wheels?

EDIT: one other thing I thought of is that the DH has CF wheels. So, Ford isn't done with CF wheels. I think if Ford had way too many warranty claims on GT350 and GT500 CF wheels they would have eliminated them on the DH. So, my expectation is that Ford isn't seeing a big problem with them.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just another reason I don;t pay attention to them.
Car reviewers definitely aren't always intellectual giants, but I believe that they had cracked/damaged wheels. I can't see why they would lie about it, but I'm open to your thoughts.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, they are garbage. They take up space in the corner of your garage. They can't be repaired and everyone knows that forged aluminum wheels are better because they look cool at cars and coffee. Everyone sell theirs to me.

A few hundred dollars a wheel sounds fair. Don't give it another thought.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I honestly didn’t watch it. The video that Ecoboost posted is really good. My problem with most of the types in the original video posted is they’ll take one occurrence or a couple in most cases and off they go. These are the same guys that initially tried to find fault with the 350 and 500’s as they’re from rental cars, blah, blah blah. They later had to acknowledge how good the cars are. I’d put a lot more stock in Ford and GM are still producing cars with the carbon wheels on them. I wouldn’t be surprised at all that Ford and GM might have exclusive deals in place with the suppliers for the wheels. Theres no doubt it takes more to make a set of carbons or magnesium’s as opposed to wheels coming from a block of billet and a cnc . I have nothing against aluminum wheels, they have their place as well. I will say the OZ’s I use to run on my bikes were bullet proof on the street and track and were works of art. Both the forged and magnesium.

Car reviewers definitely aren't always intellectual giants, but I believe that they had cracked/damaged wheels. I can't see why they would lie about it, but I'm open to your thoughts.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Such garbage. I can’t believe GM, Ford, Ferrari, Koenigsegg, McLaren and Porsche (yeah they’re wrong, there is a 911 option for CF wheels) would put that rubbish on their cars. Hope you all with CF wheels immediately replaced them so they don’t burst into pieces like these guys said happened to theirs. 🙃

Sponsored

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
For the good of the community, I’ll be starting a carbon fiber wheel collection site at my house for proper collection and disposal. Clearly they are a danger to the motoring public.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's a typical solution that briefs well on paper but has serious drawbacks in reality or practical applications.

It's kinda like alcantera. Looks cool on supercars and brochures, but as everyone has found out, if you USE the car even moderately, it's like having carpet on your seats. It attracts dust and lint and constantly needs to be cleaned (go a week and it looks like you haven't cleaned the car). It absorbs smells and odors (like others, I find myself laying a towel over the seat if I go to the gym) it wears incredibly fast (compared to other materials) etc.

CF is undeniably higher performing, but it's impractical and cost prohibitive for anyone who wants to use the car on the daily. The impact resistance is beyond poor (meaning I'm not talking about an actual vehicle contact or crash, they're subject to sometimes irreparable damage from road spall and rocks, etc and even if you COULD repair them, now you face the cost of sending them off to the brave souls who are willing to touch them, pay them a fortune and then the cost to ship them back).

CF wheels are great if money isn't anywhere in the equation and you're only using it for track or limited purposes (even then, guys get them damaged and blemished on the track).

In summary, wheels shouldn't be considered a wear item, but they're not exactly mount and forget.

It would almost be better if they were able to apply some sorta veneer wear surface (like aluminum) or sacrificial layer that would add minimal weight but prevent them from getting scarred. But that takes away the flashy/flexy look of CF signaling to everyone you're bougie (I'm being facetious of course, I love the look of dry CF, but the reason we don't usually see solutions to this issue is because it means removing the CF look).

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's a typical solution that briefs well on paper but has serious drawbacks in reality or practical applications.

It's kinda like alcantera. Looks cool on supercars and brochures, but as everyone has found out, if you USE the car even moderately, it's like having carpet on your seats. It attracts dust and lint and constantly needs to be cleaned (go a week and it looks like you haven't cleaned the car). It absorbs smells and odors (like others, I find myself laying a towel over the seat if I go to the gym) it wears incredibly fast (compared to other materials) etc.

CF is undeniably higher performing, but it's impractical and cost prohibitive for anyone who wants to use the car on the daily. The impact resistance is beyond poor (meaning I'm not talking about an actual vehicle contact or crash, they're subject to sometimes irreparable damage from road spall and rocks, etc and even if you COULD repair them, now you face the cost of sending them off to the brave souls who are willing to touch them, pay them a fortune and then the cost to ship them back).

CF wheels are great if money isn't anywhere in the equation and you're only using it for track or limited purposes (even then, guys get them damaged and blemished on the track).

In summary, wheels shouldn't be considered a wear item, but they're not exactly mount and forget.

It would almost be better if they were able to apply some sorta veneer wear surface (like aluminum) or sacrificial layer that would add minimal weight but prevent them from getting scarred. But that takes away the flashy/flexy look of CF signaling to everyone you're bougie (I'm being facetious of course, I love the look of dry CF, but the reason we don't usually see solutions to this issue is because it means removing the CF look).
If you aren't in the habit of curbing your wheels, none of these arguments hold water. I also have another news flash. Wheels ARE a wear item. If CF wheels are abused, they become an expensive mistake - but they seem to last just fine on the street and the track. If you are driving them in pothole city, then you are probably already familiar with wheel replacement. Did anyone really buy a GT350R or any other car with CF wheels in lieu of a pickup truck daily?

My point is, these, like many others - are specialty cars with compromises beyond a typical daily driver. These guys make it sound like the wheels are just unsafe and can go at any moment, which I think is just them triggering others - they must be down on clicks/views.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
For the good of the community, I’ll be starting a carbon fiber wheel collection site at my house for proper collection and disposal. Clearly they are a danger to the motoring public.
I've already got one of those going. I buy used wheels that have typical repairable damage and repair them, to include the ceramic lining.

Sell them all to me folks, sell them to me.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

I dont agree with most of that. To each their own however.
Sponsored