Sponsored

Mustang GT. What RPM is it okay to Floor it?

RaceRedCaliSpecial

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
I have an S550 Mustang GT '21 Manual transmission. It's my first Manual and I believe I have driving normally figured out. Just not sure how far I should downshift and at what RPM it's okay to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) it? I know flooring it @2k rpm puts stress on the engine, but what if it's in 2nd gear? Or should I drop to first is it okay to floor it at 3500 RPM? What about WOT in 4th @ 3k - 3500 RPM, or should I drop it to 3rd @ 5k RPM then open it up?
I'm not wanting to put undue stress on the engine so any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yer fine from 3k. Manual trans coyotes spin up very fast.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
These cars don’t really start pulling until they reach the mid to upper rpm range (3500+). You can run each gear out to within a couple hundred rpm of redline and then shift if you prefer.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not wanting to put undue stress on the engine so any help would be appreciated.
How about just not flooring it? You have a stick. Show some class and differentiate yourself from the drooling apes that live with an automatic. 😀😋😁

I keep the engine north of 2100 rpm at all times I'm moving, and not in a parking lot or other constrained locale.

An imperfect rule of thumb is shift when your (mph/10 -1) is greater than the next gear. In other words,

Shift to second at 30 mph, third when passing thru 40, 4th when above 50.

Alternatively shift when you clear 3300 rpm to the upside.

Paddles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
How about just not flooring it? You have a stick. Show some class and differentiate yourself from the drooling apes that live with an automatic. 😀😋😁

I keep the engine north of 2100 rpm at all times I'm moving, and not in a parking lot or other constrained locale.

An imperfect rule of thumb is shift when your (mph/10 -1) is greater than the next gear. In other words,

Shift to second at 30 mph, third when passing thru 40, 4th when above 50.

Alternatively shift when you clear 3300 rpm to the upside.
It's probably just me but it just sounds wierd to my ears to hear someone tell a Mustang GT owner not to floor it

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I don’t know how much experience you have with a manual but with time, you will get a ‘sense’ of where the engine is at without having to look at the tach. This is one of the reasons I always use the louder modes in the exhaust as it tells me if the engine is lugging or ready to pounce. You can even tell from how he car responds to the pedal input….overall, the engine is pretty stout though so it is forgiving.. My advice is to keep your wheels stock to keep traction as your limiting step (less stress on engine) as you get to know your engine and keep driving with the occasional spirited run to get the hang of it. Best to you.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
These cars don’t really start pulling until they reach the mid to upper rpm range (3500+). You can run each gear out to within a couple hundred rpm of redline and then shift if you prefer.
Max torque is at 4250rpm