Sponsored

Is a 2016 tech pack at MSRP still worth it if I don't plan to track?

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I had another thread going regarding my 2017 MSRP deal falling through, and I've been looking around at many dealers since then. I did find a 2017 lightning blue deal at MSRP very local to me, but there were already three people with deposits on the vehicle...d'oh.

If I can get a 2016 tech pack at MSRP, is it still worth it?

The one I'm considering is not my top color choice (told myself I'd never buy another black car, because they are so hard to keep looking perfect). I've read the limp mode posts, and seems like it shouldn't be a concern for me. Not sure if I should go for it when I had my sights on a 2017 and a different color, or just wait until after winter.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
You should be absolutely certain that you don't want to get into tracking. If you do, there's still no clear solution to the cooling issue.

Putzing around town and doing typical harder driving shouldn't be an issue though. Personally, I wouldn't get a tech anymore and glad it didn't work out the few times I had fantastic opportunities.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hmm If you want the car now go for it. Worth is a tough question!

I dont think "techs" are worth msrp but if you dont track you will enjoy the car go for it. You probably wont beat msrp by a huge margin unless you want to wait.

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be absolutely certain that you don't want to get into tracking. If you do, there's still no clear solution to the cooling issue.

Putzing around town and doing typical harder driving shouldn't be an issue though. Personally, I wouldn't get a tech anymore and glad it didn't work out the few times I had fantastic opportunities.
Definitely will not track. I have another hobby that my extra funds go toward, and it will be enough just buying new tires on this thing for the daily driving I'd do.

You would not get a tech anymore, just due to the cooler? I actually would have liked the Recaros over the leather seats as well. I'm probably trying to settle too much just to have any GT350...

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm If you want the car now go for it. Worth is a tough question!

I dont think "techs" are worth msrp but if you dont track you will enjoy the car go for it. You probably wont beat msrp by a huge margin unless you want to wait.
Thanks. I don't know that they are worth MSRP either, but this may be a good opportunity. I need to weigh it out. If I got the 2016 MY last year, I would have ideally gone pure base model, or track pack. But I guess this is what's available now...

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Definitely will not track. I have another hobby that my extra funds go toward, and it will be enough just buying new tires on this thing for the daily driving I'd do.

You would not get a tech anymore, just due to the cooler? I actually would have liked the Recaros over the leather seats as well. I'm probably trying to settle too much just to have any GT350...
Fair enough. I personally say wait, simply because you're kind of unsure. Don't settle for something so big.

I go to the track a few times every summer, and do autox as well. So for me, the tech pack would be borderline. The Recaros available on the newer ones are also a plus for me.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I would recommend it if you have no plans to track the car. I've done some pretty spirited driving on humid days close to 100 without issue. I do want to track my Tech Pack so I'm waiting on the official coolers from Ford before I decide to buy their setup, go third party or trade for a 17.

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
I made the same decision you are considering and got the tech. I'm not looking back either. Havent had any issues and wont be tracking it. Plus, i didnt want the Recaros due to possible comfort issues on longer trips. If you truly arent tracking the car and like the alcantara/leather seats then go for it!! You may save enough money over purchasing a '17 to cover your first set of tires and cover putting a track pack spoiler on it(my only mod). Good luck with tour decision.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The only real X factor is resale which we can argue over for days. My gut is everyone who wanted a GT350 (Really wanted versus tire kickers) has one(Excluding the Rs). I suspect going forward the car will fall under MSRP. With maybe a blip up in price for the final ones if there is no 2018.

And winter is coming so there is that.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Absolutely - go for it. There's no sign that prices are falling much on any new GT 350s, and I've never had any heat problems with my '16 Tech despite near-record heat of 95-100 for weeks. Regarding future value, remember that the majority of '16s are Techs, and that unless someone in the future is specifically looking for a car for the track, they'll more likely want a Tech that hasn't been beat on.

Just do it!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Off the track I've never had an issue. I really like the seats and other features in my tech pack car. If I weren't tracking it I would be even happier with the car than I am. I'm still very happy I have the car and I've almost got 10,000 miles on it now. So far I'm planning to keep the car for the foreseeable future. I'm assuming the coolers will come within the next 6 months.

Right now - if I hadn't already bought a tech pack - I personally wouldn't buy one. But then again tracking the car was always very important to me. I think I selfishly want the tech/base 2016s to sit on dealer lots to help prioritize the cooler issue with Ford, but in all reality it's a non-issue for most if you aren't going to track the car.

There have been a few people who posted that they had issues on the street, though. So if you are one of those who will drive super hard on the street you might want to avoid the 2016 tech.

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
I bought mine:
knowing i wouldn't be tracking the car
knowing i wanted the functionality of the Sync 3
the alcantara/leather seats/power/adjustable head restraints
for the MSRP but had the $1400 shipping hahaha so i consider that over MSRP
for the color that i just couldn't pass up
knowing that i just couldn't handle looking at videos on youtube anymore lol

Yes its worth it! Good luck

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Thanks. I don't know that they are worth MSRP either, but this may be a good opportunity. I need to weigh it out. If I got the 2016 MY last year, I would have ideally gone pure base model, or track pack. But I guess this is what's available now...
I drive mine around the block and I havent broke 5K rpm yet..

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
My question is, why by a gt350 if you don't plan to track it?
Sponsored