Sponsored

I drove a 911 992 S yesterday and I genuinely think my 22 mustang gt is better!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
how fast you go and how well you turn
that's the only criteria for a vehicle, and the exhaust sound. And while motorcycles embarrass 4-wheels across the board, sometimes it's nice not to have to don the rain suit, or play 'will I die today' on the highway enhanced with black ice.

I don't think the 911 is all that. The mid-engine version, with stick, and no turbo 4 liter I would take.

But on the come, a $50k Mustang frees up another 50K in track time and tires that would otherwise be non-existent with the Porsche purchase.
Sponsored

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I've never even thought of comparing a standard S550 to a Porsche. Completely different cars and the driving experiences are not even remotely similar. You buy an s550 for a set of reasons, you buy a Porsche for a completely different set of reasons.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I've owned a 2010 997.2 PDK and 2018 Mustang GT. The biggest thing I noticed is that they have the same engine performance curve, weak low-end with really serious power at high rpms. But, there is no comparison in handling. The 991.2 and 992 models are serious performance upgrades over the 997.2 or 991.1. Unfortunately, also serious price upgrades, too.

I am hearing impaired, so sound does not influence me.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This.

The few P-cars I've been in were light years ahead of Mustang fit/finish/quality. As in, not in the same universe.

I'll say it again: my dream car remains a 911 Turbo S. Not any other exotic. Completely usable and blistering performance.
I thought about getting a 992 Turbo, not S, but I just couldn't get around the exhaust sound, even after market stuff sounded dull. I also worried that the only way to really enjoy it was at mega speeds. It's interesting how so many YouTubers have owned them and sold them. But no doubt, an engineering masterpiece.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
That is... a very unique perspective lol. But to each their own. Price is a significant factor when comparing some of these cars, of course, but the C8 comparison is especially mind blowing to me. The new C8 is a boat with super numb steering. Assuming price wasn't a factor, I would take the 911 over it any day. Though it becomes a more difficult decision once we're talking about the new Z06...

The Mustang is just a whole different animal, though, and no one is cross shopping those cars, nor should they. They both have appeal for different reasons to a driving enthusiast.

The first time I drove a 911 it reminded me of an aircooled VW bug. Engine had the same sound and the interior was almost identical.

Hard pass for me.
The 996 (and earlier) generations of 911 had a pretty... spartan interior, to euphemize. And it hasn't aged well. Modern 911s, though, are unquestionably nicer on the inside than modern Mustangs. You have to compare contemporaries. There are plenty of reasons to buy a Mustang instead (not least of which is the price and value), but your experience sounds quite dated lol.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
but your experience sounds quite dated lol.
It was, early 80's. It was the turbo S euro model. Owner took delivery in Germany and had it shipped to the US.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
It was, early 80's. It was the turbo S euro model. Owner took delivery in Germany and had it shipped to the US.
Heh, so yeah, statement stands. But I would be somewhat surprised if that interior wasn't still better than contemporary Mustangs... Porsche has definitely moved their interiors upmarket to broaden their appeal, though.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I'm sort of amazed.

A current 911 Turbo S remains my dream car.
My wife isn't a car person, neither is my oldest son. They like to slouch in their seat if I press the loud pedal. I was trolling the ritzy part of town looking for cars to invite to the strip and they could have cared less about any of the cars I pointed out going the wrong way. Multiple McLarens, a new Z06 C8, Maserati, etc...

I've raced a bunch of Porsches in my car and they are okay off the line but after the launch I reel them in and pass them. GT3 RS, Panamera, 911 Turbo.... Plenty that I couldn't tell...

Anyway, I didn't think much about the 911 that passed me but I noticed it said Carrera Turbo S (it was a convertible). As we got on the freeway, he floored it, and my reaction was overshadowed by my wife and son both saying, "holy shit that things fast".. Hell, I have trouble cutting a sub 3.5 second 0-60 so I knew I couldn't keep up off the line. I was impressed so when he slowed down, I invited him to the strip for roll racing night.

He was quick off the line but from a roll he couldn't keep up from 40 to about 120 and would fall a few cars behind me.. After 120 though he started to creep up and would eventually gain the ground back and pass me. I'm guessing that's the aerodynamics and 1000 pound weight difference (car alone is 500lb I think). If you count the drivers and track staff members in the car with each of us it's close to 1000lb. The ragazine numbers put the convertible at something like a 10.3@135 and 640 horse. I may have an additional 100hp at 750 with the blower but I can only hit 135mph at the strip in January when it's 60 outside.

The AWD launches and power to weight ratio for the Turbo S make it a car I want to drive, but I'll never own one or be able to afford one. I have to agree with the bug comments, for the price it costs, It could use a facelift. No denying that porsche knows how to create a driver's car though. I had to look up all this up after what happened though because most of the time the Porsche guys are like the C8 guys... Just cruising along ignoring me. I'll keep my Mustang :)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
Did you drive a 6 speed manual version ? The driving position, pedals and steering wheel placement, and lightweight front end of these modern 911 cars are unmatched by anything out there, except for Ferrari/mclaren, etc. also, just an aftermarket exhaust and a tune wakes these cars up a great deal.
Funny you should mention Ferrari. An F12 Berlinetta WAS my dream car until i drove one on track at vegas motor speedway. saved me $300,000 in retirement as i no longer want one. they're absolutely gorgeous and sound great, but unless i'm a multi-millionaire in retirement, i'm not buying one. it didn't feel any faster than my supercharged mustang, didn't stick to the track any better than my mustang on regular street tires. had 700 advertised hp, i have 650whp, my car pulls way harder. fit and finish was definitely nicer but not $220,000 nicer. all in all, i dont think it's life-changing in comparison.

any porsche worth buying IMO is at least 150k, you can get yourself a whole lot more fun for that money. they're great if you want to be the hero at your local track days, but aside from that, i dont see the point in owning one.

CR151S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP M6
I drove a 911 GT3 RS on track and was simply amazed. The car was a weapon.

That saidā€¦. When I compare it to my car, I ENJOY the driving experience more because I feel engaged, sometimes barely in control. I wish there was an s550 middle ground. Something truly as capable as the RS on track, but as loud, and visceral as our s550ā€™s.

Of course I know the GT350 and 350Rs are close. One of these days Iā€™d love to give them a real shot as well!

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The Porsche looks nice and has the cachet, but as soon as I started the engine I was like wtf, the exhaust had ZERO rumble.

it felt a bit more nimble, but the s550 with IRS is no slouch at handling either.

didnā€™t feel like it was any faster than my mustang.

I always thought Porsche 911 would be my dream car some day, but now Iā€™ve changed my mind.

honestly at this point Iā€™d rather have a c8 at half the price. I drove a c8 last year and it definitely felt how I expected it to. The Porsche was a disappointment.
Something wrong with you ā˜¹
Beside the fit and finish, no other cars give you driver feedbacks and almost telepathic steering feel than a 911/cayman give you
I can honestly compare since i have both ( as well than a viper)

IMG_1826.png

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
Something wrong with you ā˜¹
Beside the fit and finish, no other cars give you driver feedbacks and almost telepathic steering feel than a 911/cayman give you
I can honestly compare since i have both ( as well than a viper)
if you made only $60,000 a year and could only pick one to have a say $25,000 loan on that you had to make payments on, which one would you choose to "keep"

edit: also, i dont need a lesson in being a guy making $60,000 a year and having a car loan for about half that. my car has been paid off for 6 out of the 9 years i've owned it as of today. but just trying to bring your opinions into perspective with broke fools like me :D

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I own a Cayman (best handling Porsche according to some) and I can attest that the GT350 is more fun to drive and the handling is comparable with the Sport Cup 2ā€™s. The exhaust is what tips the scalesā€¦. Porscha - Smorschaā€¦!!!

Fit & finish is better from Stuttgart, but overall thrill in driving experience is definitely won by Ford Performance.
Sponsored