Sponsored

How many of you are coming from a BMW/Audi/Lexus, etc?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Meanwhile our ac evap cores are ticking time bombs

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
My 2016 Mustang GT replaced my 2008 Audi S5.

I absolutely loved (and still love/miss) my S5. It had the 4.2L V8 and 6-Spd. The interior, fit and finish, attention to detail, suspension, powertrain, overall size (inside/out), everything felt special about that car. Plus the look was timeless (didn't hurt the overall look hadn't changed until recently). Why did I get rid of such a special car? REPAIR BILLS! Driving an out of warranty Audi will destroy your bank account.

This S550 Mustang has been on my radar since they came out. It looks great inside and out. I was so glad they go rid of all the retro, well everything. I could not stand the pre-S550 gauges. Anyway, this Mustang is a beast on the road, sounds and drives great.

People always ask my to compare the 2, but you can't. Although they both have 2 doors and a V8, that is basically all they have in common.

I also agree with what someone posted earlier about being able to enjoy the relate-ability (new word?) of the Mustang. Sure I would get compliments on the Audi, but not everyone really gets it. The Mustang on the other hand, everyone knows what it is. Everyone has a Mustang story. For example, my Dad is car guy who mostly likes working on them. In the 6+ years I owned my Audi he never once drove it. It didn't appeal to him. The day I got my Mustang he was on my ass wanting to see and drive it, lol.

Bottom-line: I have been enjoying the hell out of my Mustang. I will always miss the Audi, but jumping in the Mustang and dumping the clutch helps keep my mind off it. :D
I think the current gen, especially the '18s will bring the Mustang even closer to an Audi S5 in terms of what you get on the car. With all the interior updates, gauges, improvements to the overall car besides the AWD Quattro the Mustang is closing in on the Germans. Yes they are for sure different cars but they have enough in common to be comparable.

Yeah I've read the last gen Audis are absurd to repair...I'm curious on the current gen...CR gives them high quality/high reliability and I wonder if the pre-2012s were the last of the shitty ones. Still..reading that people getting the current Audis are still shelling out $800 for the Audi Care and then like $3195 for the extended to 75K...I mean that's nuts and that doesn't cover normal wear and tear and things like that. Just seems like a bank account sink hole.

BTW the current S5 is pretty nice...saw one the other day next to a previous gen S5. When you see it in person, it's a nice upgrade.

Good to see Im not the only one coming from B8.5 Audi S4 & moving to an Mustang GT
I'm curious to see how you and Augster will like the Mustang compared to the S4/S5 considering at least in size/type of car they are pretty different (till the '18 which I think brings them closer). I like that S4 you had...nice pics. Did you have a lot of repair bills also with it?

how did you guys get used to the long hood. i sat in one yesterday and the hood was a mile long. visibility is meh!!
The long hood was a huge complaint according to the marketing/focus groups Ford had on the Mustang when I was talking to a few Ford reps the last 2 years at the auto show...it's a big reason the hood was dropped an inch and the bulge removed...now you won't have that feeling you're looking up the hood anymore. Some hate that they changed it but I think it's a good change and brings the car more into the GT350 look (which has much better visibility).

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
I have been driving mercedes / Porsche / audi since the 80s until maybe 2009 when I had enough "German Engineering" for one lifetime. Ridiculous prices of repair and parts, which was a common occurrance. Dealer attitudes, problems that are persistent that they never fix but blame the owners etc etc etc. In 2009 I went to driving an Infiniti and put on a quarter million miles and cost me zero dollars in repairs in that time. Nothing. Not even a light bulb. I still drive it daily and its as good as the day I bought it.

In 2013 Edsel Ford came to me and asked us to design a replacement for the '12 and '13 Boss 302, which we did. They liked it so much, we gave our input on the design of the S550 suspension. It was during this time I realized that Ford really has it together and is designing nice stuff again. I went out and got an S550 (2016 GT PP S/C). Its as quiet inside as any german car Ive been in, but more fun to drive (barring the UrQ and a couple of porsches). Cost of repair will be far less than any german car and very likely far less frequent. I have about 9K on mine now so its too early to tell, but not many cars make me smile like firing up the 5.0. Will it last a quarter million miles like the infiniti? Probably not, but at the price point I know the value will be just as good if not better.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang

Sponsored

Bigfoot53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
C7 Stingray Z51/past rides: Jaguar XKR/AMG C-63 Edition 507
Current car is a '15 Jag XKR, one before that a MB C-63 AMG, two wonderful, powerful, dynamic cars.Build quality on both is excellent. But I don't need/want the status of either, I don't need a leather dash or cross-stitched seats or the impending costs of maintenance the Jag will bring someday, even as it's been bulletproof for 23K miles. So the Mustang is most likely my next car, in some sort of performance set-up, one we're all waiting to see. I'm ready for a homegrown sporty car that I can have worked on in my hometown for reasonable expense on parts, etc. To my eye, the XKR is one of the most beautiful cars ever made and I'll miss that, but the Mustang ain't bad looking and I remember the year it was first released and the excitement around it back then. I'm not invested in the history of the car and the arguments about what it should be or look like, I just want a sporty V-8!

Reactions: 00

BoostedRubyRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red EB Premium
I came from a Lexus IS and was going to get another, but for over 50K it just seemed crazy not to give the Mustang a try. I got all the options and features from the Lexus for about 20K less in the end. I admit the Lexus is a great car and handles like it is on rails, but the extra money is better in an investment account than in a new car. I at least have the Lexus so I do not have to drive the Mustang everyday.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I still have my 2003 Audi. The build quality is there, although the American mfgs are finally catching up.

That said, my 2017 GT has quite a few interior rattles and a cheap plastic feel on some parts (console for example).

However, the overall driving feel, community, and cost of ownership are great!

bronze_peanut_cup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Came from a 2015 BMW228. I had a challenger r/t before that (which I loved).
Sort of impulsively sold the challenger, bought the 228 out of state and had a long drive which immediately left a negative impression on me.

The 228 had electrical issues (I had a malfunctioning fog lamp that couldn't be rid of through myself or the dealer) a couple interior ergonomic problems (they have a large plastic door handle that protrudes RIGHT into the driver and passenger knees and I'm a small dude it was driving me INSANE) and mine lacked a lot of the modern day amenities that everyone else has. For example, it had a keyless start, but not remote entry- so you ended up having to take the keys out of your pocket anyway. No backup sensors. No built-in garage door opener button (wtf?). And the front consol had an ashtray that you can't put anything in except maybe 5 coins. I didn't even know what it was until I stumbled upon it in the car's manual. An ashtray? Who would want that in the console? There's no insert or anything so you'd have to vacuum it out, I guess, which seems really really inconvenient (and that's coming from a smoker!!). And it was terrible in snow. Like, ungodly terrible.

That said, the engine was really good in it. Like, REALLY good. Smooth, powerful, and was pretty good at selecting gears. The different driving modes were significantly different from each other at the click of the button you really felt the differences as the ECU rearranged all the components. Steering was fantastic. Felt light and nimble. It just wasn't enough to really justify owning it or buying it over vehicles of similar cost.

So not as comfortable as I would have expected, but decent performance. Of course, it doesn't compare to anything coming out anymore. Not fast enough. Not comfortable enough. Not cheap enough. Not interesting enough. Didn't really excel at any one thing. I'd rather have a car with a couple downfalls but excels at something or a car with character. Most of the time while driving around, I felt like my car was lacking something and sort of left a dissatisfying vibe in me. Looks similar enough to all the other bmws that it sort of blends in and you feel like 'one of them'.

And the maintenance costs. I bought mine used, but still under warranty, so I was safe. But my eyes were on the odometer every trip watching and wondering what could later screw my wallet.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
BMW 528Xi

Been driving my wife's 528Xi (bought used) and find it to be very refined. She wanted me to get a used BMW 335i 2-door. We found several and then...did an about face and bought the used GT vert.

No logic there...just liked what I saw and drove!

CVCashmere

6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Came from a bolt on E92 335i. Sold it with just 36K miles on it :(

If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose the coyote.

TCZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT Convertible
Came from an 07 Carrera S. Amazing machine, so tight and precise. It was on Bilstein coilovers and had a bunch of other suspension upgrades. Kind of the opposite of the Mustang which is more of a brute both in terms of size and the way it puts the power down. I am really enjoying being back in a muscle car though! Love the V8.

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
2002-2012 BMW 330Ci (E46) manual, sports package, fun car to drive
2012-2016 Mini Cooper S manual, fun little car, got the kids through college
2016-now Mustang GT PP manual, fun to drive, looks great
(BMW not worth the $$$ to me anymore)

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Coming from a 2008 Lexus GS350...

What made me switch to the S550? The hips... have you seen the hips on that bitch? :D
Sponsored