GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Have you ever swapped out the OEM Fluid?
In the trans? I haven’t. The car only has 37k miles on it. I’m under the impression you want to change it every 50k miles?
Sponsored

Spacexguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moe
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and f150
Yes stock clutch. The clutch assembly +flywheel +slave cylinder +fluid was change exactly 4900 miles ago. Fairly new. All done by Ford.

What is a stage 1 or 2 going to have that a OEM trans doesn’t have? Is it just beefier parts?
Nice. Well, even "new" stock stuff will still cause all those issues. Need to upgrade everything. Shifter (which in, itself will be a major improvement), clutch, clutch line, fluid. All of those will cure your issues, like a previous post stated. Then, after all that, and you're still having issues, time for rebuild.
Stage 1: refresh with CF syncros, bronze shift pads, new bearing and seals where needed and depending on broken or worn movable parts, like sliders, gears, etc.
Stage 2: all of the above with treated gears and upgraded input shaft (26 spline).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Base 300A
is the superior species. Lighter than everything else. Less BS to go wrong. And you can build it however you want. Always cracks me up when the peeps buy premiums/handling pack cars, take it all out, then replace with aftermarket parts.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The car only has 37k miles on it. I’m under the impression you want to change it every 50k miles?
I did at around 35K. BIG improvement. Used the Calimer cocktail for 15-17 MT-82. But the fucking guy keeps changing his recommendations ha-ha.

Funny thing though, in the Mustang pages on zuckerfucks FaceBook, some clowns are complaining that BC trannies break.. and if you backtrack, these same potatoes were breaking their stock MT-82 as well. So it ain't the trans, it's the clowns shifting.

Dyimon08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyimon
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 M6
Nice. Well, even "new" stock stuff will still cause all those issues. Need to upgrade everything. Shifter (which in, itself will be a major improvement), clutch, clutch line, fluid. All of those will cure your issues, like a previous post stated. Then, after all that, and you're still having issues, time for rebuild.
Stage 1: refresh with CF syncros, bronze shift pads, new bearing and seals where needed and depending on broken or worn movable parts, like sliders, gears, etc.
Stage 2: all of the above with treated gears and upgraded input shaft (26 spline).

What are your prices?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes stock clutch. The clutch assembly +flywheel +slave cylinder +fluid was change exactly 4900 miles ago. Fairly new. All done by Ford.

What is a stage 1 or 2 going to have that a OEM trans doesn’t have? Is it just beefier parts?
With only 4,900 miles on those repairs, I would go back to Ford. I assume they offer some kind of warranty on their work. You should be able to get 100K miles out of a clutch, unless you are really abusing it.

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With only 4,900 miles on those repairs, I would go back to Ford. I assume they offer some kind of warranty on their work. You should be able to get 100K miles out of a clutch, unless you are really abusing it.
Define “abusing it.”

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Define “abusing it.”
I'll assume that's a serious question.

Riding it at high RPM from a standstill or slipping it excessively even without high RPM are two examples. Nothing is bulletproof and definitely clutches are one of those things that one person can drive forever - even on a road course or "spirited driving" and another can break very quickly.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
How would changing the brake fluid improve shifting?

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
In the trans? I haven’t. The car only has 37k miles on it. I’m under the impression you want to change it every 50k miles?
Just a fluid change will transform the transmission, I'd also take some of the other suggestions here but I wish I would have swapped my fluid sooner, its feels pretty damn smooth now. Trans mount would probably help as well, assuming you don't have a bigger issue.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How would changing the brake fluid improve shifting?
The brake fluid is shared by the clutch hydraulic system. They use the same reservoir.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
To "fix" the MT82 you need a complete rebuild using high quality aftermarket parts. Like the syncrotech kit. You also need a new clutch, the stock ones are not great and will cause all kinds of damage in the trans. Exedy is a good choice.
Everybody has their own secret sauce for fluid. I had the best luck with Motul DCTF. This was on a dedicated track car with an aftermarket trans cooler installed.
But really, if you're going to beat on it hard just get a Tremec and be done with it.

Spacexguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moe
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and f150
To "fix" the MT82 you need a complete rebuild using high quality aftermarket parts. Like the syncrotech kit. You also need a new clutch, the stock ones are not great and will cause all kinds of damage in the trans. Exedy is a good choice.
Everybody has their own secret sauce for fluid. I had the best luck with Motul DCTF. This was on a dedicated track car with an aftermarket trans cooler installed.
But really, if you're going to beat on it hard just get a Tremec and be done with it.
Those kits start at 6500 and go to 8400. Whew!! Lol
Or the cailmer stage 3 at 4700 to 5200, and that's without any accessories or shipping. Ouch!!
I've run a few estimates and I just can't fathom spending that much on those mt82s. IF you were going to lay down that much money, the mag xl kit is the way to go, so I agree with you on that.
But unfortunately the OP was looking for a cheap fix, so this is not optimal options for his situation

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'll assume that's a serious question.

Riding it at high RPM from a standstill or slipping it excessively even without high RPM are two examples. Nothing is bulletproof and definitely clutches are one of those things that one person can drive forever - even on a road course or "spirited driving" and another can break very quickly.
I barely go up to 5k rpm on the daily. I only go up to 6500 rpm if I’m doing a pull. I would not say I’m abusing it. I might take it to the dealer
Sponsored