Sponsored

How come the s550 tramlines so bad?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’m in NJ and have driven many of its roads both back roads, town roads and the highways (Parkway, Turnpike, Expressway, 295, 42, 70, 206, etc etc etc)…. All such roads have a crown and not all are the best of surfaces. I have not experienced what you explain as far as tramlining or constantly having to correct the vehicle’s steering actions while driving. Not saying it can’t happen, just saying with my S550, I haven’t had to battle with the car pulling L or R.

If what you’re saying is occurring with your S550, I would do the following:

- Get the alignment checked out. Even though it may be stock and the car is fairly new, just because of that doesn’t mean the alignment is correct.

- Have the front and rear wheel bearings checked. There have been many threads on here of M6G members having to have front and rear wheel bearings replaced due to premature failure. I’m talking about owners who have very low miles and some have even had them replaced 2-3x under warranty. Whatever vendor was contracted for the stock wheel hub bearings, they’re junk parts.

- Tire pressure is important. Always check tire pressure when cold before driving and check when outside temps change because tires don’t maintain same temps when it’s 40* vs when it’s 70*…. Tire psi will be on the driver door B-pillar label; keep the psi at least exact or within 1-2lbs of the label, because tire psi will increase once driving as the tires heat up.

- There’s also been threads on here about the rear IRS cradle not being aligned 100% from the factory, that is not part of the “alignment” mentioned above. Check for the threads on here regarding the rear chassis cradle alignment…

- Check lug nut torque

- Check the rear axle nuts; common issue of those coming loose and there’s quite a few threads on here too about that.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
I’m in NJ and have driven many of its roads both back roads, town roads and the highways (Parkway, Turnpike, Expressway, 295, 42, 70, 206, etc etc etc)…. All such roads have a crown and not all are the best of surfaces. I have not experienced what you explain as far as tramlining or constantly having to correct the vehicle’s steering actions while driving. Not saying it can’t happen, just saying with my S550, I haven’t had to battle with the car pulling L or R.

If what you’re saying is occurring with your S550, I would do the following:

- Get the alignment checked out. Even though it may be stock and the car is fairly new, just because of that doesn’t mean the alignment is correct.

- Have the front and rear wheel bearings checked. There have been many threads on here of M6G members having to have front and rear wheel bearings replaced due to premature failure. I’m taking about owners who have very low miles and some have even had them replaced 2-3x under warranty. Whatever vendor was contracted for the stock wheel hub bearings, they’re junk parts.

- Tire pressure is important. Always check tire pressure when cold before driving and check when outside temps change because tires don’t maintain same temps when it’s 40* vs when it’s 70*…. Tire psi will be on the driver door B-pillar label; keep the psi at least exact or within 1-2lbs of the label, because tire psi will increase once driving as the tires heat up.

- There’s also been threads on here about the rear IRS cradle not being aligned 100% from the factory, that is not part of the “alignment” mentioned above. Check for the threads on here regarding the rear chassis cradle alignment…

- Check lug nut torque

- Check the rear axle nuts; common issue of those coming loose and there’s quite a few threads on here too about that.
I definitely will check the alignment. any recomendations for any place? I used to do the lifetime alignment on my 2014 at Firestone when it would cost like $100 on sale on new years day, but i never caught that yet for the 2021. Should I just let ford check it out when I get my oil changed in the summer? I want them to also look at the body control mod recall I've been seeing as well as a weird squeak the drivers seat makes in the back part of it. Figure maybe they could just check alignment too?

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I’ve had good luck at my local Firestone in Rochester but they are family owned so idk about other stores. Some people on this site recommend finding a Nissan dealership that can align the GTR because they have a top notch machine.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Find a good performance shop in the area, one that specializes in Mustangs is a plus. Dealerships are fine but they’re just going to get everything in the green and call it good. If you have specific camber/toe settings that you want, a performance shop will take the time to get it how you want it. A dealership might but it will be hit or miss

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Just to build on Mags comment. When I brought my 350 home new from the dealer, it tram lined. After about a month or so of tolerating it, I took it to the shop I've used for 30 years. They found that the toe was kicked out on both sides and really out on the passenger side. That was from the factory. They brought both sides in close to zero one both sides. I haven't had any issues since.

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
My experience is any tire 275 or less tracks very well.

305 you have to hang onto the wheel and pay a little more attention.

I’d just check my front toe with toe plates for starters

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I think the subject has been answered at length already.

I agree the first thing would be to definitely check the alignment.

That said, some tire patterns are more prone to tramlining. And the wider the tire, the more noticeable it will be.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'll 2nd, third, fourth, and fifth tire pressures. DO NOT rely on the dash display.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll 2nd, third, fourth, and fifth tire pressures. DO NOT rely on the dash display.
oh really? interesting. i'll have to check.

Finding a good performance shop nearby was a pain years ago and I gave up...i can't even find a good local mechanic, so i ended up bringing my 2014 to ford for some work back when i had it.

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
oh really? interesting. i'll have to check.

Finding a good performance shop nearby was a pain years ago and I gave up...i can't even find a good local mechanic, so i ended up bringing my 2014 to ford for some work back when i had it.
I've never found the dash reading to be off by much if at all.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never found the dash reading to be off by much if at all.
yeah, i just checked too and mine were spot on. not sure what the other member meant?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Alignment and tires tires tires. My Mach 1 comes with 305s up front. The Cup 2 tramlined like crazy, once I switched to PS4S tramlining is there but its very minor now. Its part of driving a sports car with wide tires.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
So my 2021 GT is awful with tramlining. Any slight groove or weird mark in the street and the wheel just gravitates towards it. Keeping this thing straight is a chore on its own! My old 2014 s197 never had this issue. I’ve actually never driven a vehicle with this issue before. I love the car but the entire time driving it requires a ton of feedback from the driver to just keep the damn thing straight since it wants to pull in every which way! Anyone else annoyed by this? Is there anything that fixes it?
Hi - Food for thought. My original tires (Pilot Sport 4s) started getting noisy after about half the tread was gone. I found it annoying but hung in there until 20,000 miles. I’m an ordinary daily driver who doesn’t go to the track or do wild and crazy road courses. I’m also practical so I replaced them with a General Tire all-season model for $900. So far I am very happy with them. Money isn’t really an issue for me, but I’m not a high performance guy and thus don’t need a high performance tire. It’s as simple as that. Besides, at my age (82) it would be borderline suicidal to drive in a high performance manner… Bruce
Sponsored