Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sealed up against the radiator with window sealing foam. I've used this the past with good success. don't worry, it doesn't melt
So while this is definitely cobble-fab'd together, it only weights like 2 lbs and my previous experience with making ducting out of this thin AL shows that it works great. So traded a bit of "build" quality for some lightness. Hopefully a CF unit the future will be much higher quality
Definitely going to try something like this

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don;t think I'll make it. Just too much to do and even if I were to finish, I think I'd fall asleep. ha

Been out in the garage until 4am or so every night for the past week
Gotcha. A friend will be there this weekend and I was going to watch, it would be icing on the cake if I got to see this monster!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Definitely going to try something like this
Used it for years with success. And cheap!

Gotcha. A friend will be there this weekend and I was going to watch, it would be icing on the cake if I got to see this monster!
How'd it go? I ended up sleeping all weekend basically, so it was a good thing I didn't go. I'd probably have fallen asleep in the right seat. ha

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Used it for years with success. And cheap!

How'd it go? I ended up sleeping all weekend basically, so it was a good thing I didn't go. I'd probably have fallen asleep in the right seat. ha
Ah, not well. This was session 3.

1715618965599-cs.png

On top of that, a GT500 lost a tire in the first session on the back stretch. Short weekend for my buddy and the 500. It could have been worse I suppose.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ah, not well. This was session 3.

1715618965599-cs.png

On top of that, a GT500 lost a tire in the first session on the back stretch. Short weekend for my buddy and the 500. It could have been worse I suppose.
Damn! that sucks. I also heard a friend blew his motor. sounds like a rough weekend for many

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
been quietly making progress still. I buttoned up my exhaust project (well, except for the muffler supports that I am waiting on some stainless flat stock to finish).

IMG_2837.JPG

I'm definitely no master tig welder and this was my first time welding (a shit ton) or stainless. We'll see if it holds together. Fortunately, I have mounts placed every 1-2 feet of the system, so there's tons of support in case a weld cracks.

IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

Tire clearance came out pretty good. 1.5 in or more on each side depending on where the wheel is in its travel. Will add heat shield to help with temps. But I suspect at speed, it'll be fine. Might heat soak tho.
IMG_2822.JPG

System is ARH long tubes, catless midpipes, ARH x pipe into TiCon industries titanium mufflers. Then back to stainless for the exits. V bands are used for mounting and transitioning between the different alloys
IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

I also finished up the pedal box. This was a lot more work than I anticipated. So many lines in a tight space. But happy with how it came out. The footwell box really hides the mess well. HA
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG

Also buttoned up the intake
IMG_2836.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG

Going to test the drivetrain tonight. If she rolls and no weirdness, we hit the dyno on Saturday

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I buttoned up my exhaust project

IMG_2837.JPG
Are you going to clearance the outlet bodywork say a generous 20mm? The radiant heat is going to affect the bodywork IMO or definitely ruin any paint.

Is that a carbon drive shaft? I would definitely put heat wrap over the next exhaust section.
Did you jet-coat the insides of the exhaust tubes?
how natural (or awkward) is the clutch pedal in that spacing? Can you get an offset footpad? For example my Audi (and GTI before it) has a european footbox and using the clutch was a bit awkward since my leg has to come rightward a bit more than natural. The Mustang is considerably more comfortable in that respect.

IMG_2835.JPG
The air pressure and turbulence at speed in your intake box forcing itself past the filter medium may produce surging. It's not uncommon to use deflectors to quiet that down.

@TeeLew you know something about these things, no?

LOVE the build!

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
been quietly making progress still. I buttoned up my exhaust project (well, except for the muffler supports that I am waiting on some stainless flat stock to finish).

IMG_2837.JPG

I'm definitely no master tig welder and this was my first time welding (a shit ton) or stainless. We'll see if it holds together. Fortunately, I have mounts placed every 1-2 feet of the system, so there's tons of support in case a weld cracks.

IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

Tire clearance came out pretty good. 1.5 in or more on each side depending on where the wheel is in its travel. Will add heat shield to help with temps. But I suspect at speed, it'll be fine. Might heat soak tho.
IMG_2822.JPG

System is ARH long tubes, catless midpipes, ARH x pipe into TiCon industries titanium mufflers. Then back to stainless for the exits. V bands are used for mounting and transitioning between the different alloys
IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

I also finished up the pedal box. This was a lot more work than I anticipated. So many lines in a tight space. But happy with how it came out. The footwell box really hides the mess well. HA
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG

Going to test the drivetrain tonight. If she rolls and no weirdness, we hit the dyno on Saturday
You gonna help me build my girl next right? đź«Ł BEAUTIFUL

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Are you going to clearance the outlet bodywork say a generous 20mm? The radiant heat is going to affect the bodywork IMO or definitely ruin any paint.

Is that a carbon drive shaft? I would definitely put heat wrap over the next exhaust section.
Did you jet-coat the insides of the exhaust tubes?

how natural (or awkward) is the clutch pedal in that spacing? Can you get an offset footpad? For example my Audi (and GTI before it) has a european footbox and using the clutch was a bit awkward since my leg has to come rightward a bit more than natural. The Mustang is considerably more comfortable in that respect.

The air pressure and turbulence at speed in your intake box forcing itself past the filter medium may produce surging. It's not uncommon to use deflectors to quiet that down.

@TeeLew you know something about these things, no?

LOVE the build!

Yep - will be clearancing the body work before dyno on Saturday. Waiting on my sheets of stainless to come in so I can create a heat shield that I rivet to the body as well.

driveshaft will have a heat shield too. Just haven't put it on yet

The clutch isn't super fun to use, but it's only for stopping/starting. The sequential and ECU will take care of on track shifts with the no lift shift and rev match down shifts.

the air pressure thing is interesting. I hadn't heard about this problem. Do you have any pictures of the baffling you describe?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures of the baffling you describe?
Sorry, I don't. But something akin to the 'shutters' or a motorcross radiator vane is the basic idea. Maybe you can get close enough to snake a camera down an IndyCar's air inlet for a quick-see? :)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Side pipes are insane. If you’re wondering if you should do side pipes, you should do side pipes.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

MAGS1

Threads