Hit a 'road gator.'

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Still have my old Cobra model 29 CB radio. Old CBers trick if you want to talk a long distance on 4 watts power. hook tow chain on frame of your vehicle and throw it out it in large body of water such as intercoastal waterway or ocean. you can talk for hundreds of miles since the waterway is now your ground plane.

BD

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
100% at-fault collision claim.

[Also lol at road gator.]
Nearly 40% of road debris-related crashes are due to drivers swerving to avoid these things.

I'd never heard the term road gator before, either.
Now that I know it’s road debris and not an actual gator, yep that’s a collision claim.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think it depends on if the debris or animal was moving or stationary at the time. But as a Floridian I too thought it was an actual gator.

Comprehensive Coverage: Protecting Beyond the Drive While hitting stationary items often falls under collision, comprehensive coverage might come into play when hitting a moving object like an animal. Moreover, it likely covers a tree falling on and damaging your parked vehicle.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I hit an actual gator back in the mid 90s on my way to work, pre-dawn. Saw it at the very last minute, to late to avoid in my CRX-Si. Saw it spin around in the road behind me in the mirror. I turned around and took a look. Appeared dead, but I was not getting out to inspect. Got to work and saw that my left turn signal was busted and the spoiler was dislodged. I came away lucky, not so for the gator!
I am calling PITA, you should have got out and patted him on the nose and few times and asked him if he was OK :)

Sponsored

Woketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Coupe
Yeah, I should have. Heck, I have two redundant hands. I can afford to lose one!!!!

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
To the people who dont know what a road gator is. Road gators are the remains of a TT tire coming apart and leaving tread on the road. Recaps litter the highway.
I thought he hit an actual alligator at first.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I think it depends on if the debris or animal was moving or stationary at the time. But as a Floridian I too thought it was an actual gator.

Comprehensive Coverage: Protecting Beyond the Drive While hitting stationary items often falls under collision, comprehensive coverage might come into play when hitting a moving object like an animal. Moreover, it likely covers a tree falling on and damaging your parked vehicle.
The gator was "moving" right OP?

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
I thought he hit an actual alligator at first.
I was going to say something for the southern folk after seeing online actual alligator collisions. I think I'd rather deal with a piece of tire. Those things span the whole road and got teeth. Lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
All you need is a roll of electrical tape to keep his mouth shut, it's getting it wrapped around the mouth that's the PITA.

BD

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
We used to refer to them as 'recaptoids" as well.

Regardless of the name, they're hard on a vehicle.