Sponsored

Heavy stainless steel shift knobs are nice but…

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Not when you can’t hold on to them

2A824297-08FE-4423-BC57-8CD932F85B1D.jpeg
Sponsored

Cleesj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP 401a 6MT MP
Hmm, I wonder if anyone makes an anodized aluminum shift knob.. would certainly dissipate the heat much more efficiently lol

OP
OP
x_man586

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Cool thanks

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sorry guys, I can’t resist, there’s a song to suit just about any scenario. This post made me think of a song called “One Glove” by Bobby Jimmy and the Critters, lol. On a serious note, I used to wear a mechanic’s style glove with rubber on the palm and fingertips to keep from getting burned and for better grip on the shift knob in my ‘04 Mach 1. Anyways, here’s the song, maybe others will get a laugh out of it like I did. Turn up the volume and listen carefully to the words.

Last edited:
OP
OP
x_man586

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Leather is the best. Find a good shape leather wrapped knob. The slippery ball shaped ones are trash and dangerous unless wearing gloves.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm left wondering why change the shift knob, seems like a not-so somehow:question:

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
So I'm left wondering why change the shift knob, seems like a not-so somehow:question:
3 reasons stand out.

1. For a heavier knob. When you do actual shifter mods, like a Barton, or a MGW, and start shortening shifter throw, you lose the mechanical advantage of leverage. This can lead to notchy, rough shifting, albeit shorter, not better.

You unbalanced a force equation with a shorter shifter. In order to gain back some mechanical advantage, you'd install a heavier knob. The heavier knob will take a bit more initial force, but then it carries it's momentum through the shift. Smoothing out the shift considerably. Im talking about a heavy stainless steel or brass knob for performance, not a super lightweight aluminum knob for only looks.

I went with a Shift solutions knob, cause after doing motor mounts, trans mount, and trans mounted Barton Hybrid 3, my shifts were getting a bit hung up mid throw. This is far from my first rodeo, so I knew I needed a heavier knob to get the shifter throw more fluid. Which it did. I just throw on the lil hat in the summer. It's not a big deal. People just seem to not put "direct sunlight" together with a hot part.

2. Ergonomics/hand feel. Some people have more sensitive hands than others. Different materials either grip, or feel better in your hand based on personal preference. Shift knob shape as well. Delrin is a different feel from brass, then leather and wood feel completely different as well. Having options is really nice. Dial in something you have to manipulate a lot in a manual car.

3. Aesthetics. Getting a color matched or engraved knob is just a fun way to spice up the interior.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You just need to do delicate shifts
This ladies and gents, is the secret to keeping the MT82 alive at 700whp … :cwl:

Or an MY18 with the shift forks made of cheese … 🧀

WD :like: