GTD application halted

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I understand that it's annoying that "clout gets cars", but unfortunately the process has to go like this for a company like Ford. The whole point of a halo product is to make a statement and get people interested in the brand. The development costs are intended to pay off marketing dividends and get more people into regular Mustang GT's and the like. So yeah, they're selective because they want each car to be seen and heard as much as possible to justify the program. Social media is where most of the clicks and views are now. It's not really intended as a disrespect to loyal Ford customers as it may seem at first glance. I totally understand the frustration though, even though I'm not in an income bracket that can afford cars like that.

Specialty performance brands like McLaren and Ferrari don't really operate in this way because they are dedicated to performance cars and everyone knows it. I mean, I suppose Ferrari is a special example because you almost have to graduate through the ranks of vehicles and own enough before certain models are available to you, but that's basically a loyalty program on steroids.

I could be off of course, and in an ideal world Ford would just build enough cars to satisfy both marketing and exposure, as well as people that just want to buy and enjoy the damn car.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Solutionā€¦.peck away at keys to write the Mustang6g forum url in the red-highlighted error container and list tens of tens of ā€œinfluenced subscribersā€ and ā€œfollowersā€ā€¦page next.

Waitā€¦the next application page wants me to up load a video to the ecosphere with me graveling FoMoCo for purchase consideration and to acknowledge that some Ford stealership will definitely gouge me for a GTD as middlepersonā€¦Iā€™m out.

Considering selling the Rs and the Raptor for a down payment on a 1999 F-1 transmission 360 Modena.
Also if you're thinking of a 360, don't get the F1 transmission. It's honestly not terrible, but for that engine the manual is just far superior. I understand the values are getting more dumb by the day for 6 speed cars though...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I guess it depends on the ramifications for breaking the no-sale clause. If itā€™s something like not being able to buy the next halo car, some of these influencer types wonā€™t care about that. If itā€™s financial, it would depend on how hard of a hit they would take. Some may still view it as worth it, especially if they donā€™t have enough views to pay for the car.
It got to a point with the GT, that Ford held the title. It'll probably be that way with the GTD.

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
Right, I'm no influencer, so here's a list of cars I'd rather buy (and cost less) than
that thing. No membership required.

McLaren 570S/570GT
McLaren 600LT
McLaren 720S
Ferrari 812 Superfast
Ferrari 488 GTB
Ferrari 488 Pista
Porsche 911 GT2 RS
Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
Lamborghini Huracan Performante
Iā€™m in for the Aston Martin. Iā€™ve lusted after their cars ever since I had an opportunity to drive a Vanquish back in 2001-02. The sound of that V12ā€¦. OMG. An Aston would be my ā€œI just won the lotteryā€ first purchase. The fact that their products are endlessly customizable (for endless amounts of money, of course) is very appealing, and A-M actually seems interested in welcoming new owners to the brand.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
"This section allows you to express yourself, in your own words, in the style that suits you. The questions are completely optional and are simply intended as an opportunity to get to know you and hear more about your interest in Ford MustangĀ®GTD"

From the application form...

Sponsored

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
I guess Iā€™m still stuck on the $325k ford. Itā€™s a FORD!
F. O. R. D.

Yea, like @WildHorse i can think of several cars far more appealing than $325k Ford.

No offence to the followersā€¦
It's not *really* a Ford... It's a multimatic with a Ford powertrain.

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Oh but there is for Ferrari my friend. They have to allow you the privelage of owning one of their cars. And you typically have to start towards the bottom of their lineup and work your way up. My cousin found that out when he bought his 488 a couple years ago. Itā€™s quite the process apparently.
My bother in law just purchased a Ferrari 488 Spider and got it done in one day without having a history with Ferrari. This is his first.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It's sad to learn that manufacturers try to control what people do to things they have paid them full price for. So basically, the manufacturers are acting like the buyers are sales reps for them and must use the car in the way they approve. Actually very pathetic unless this is some misinformation.
Not to turn this into a Ferrari thread, but Ferrari is very much controlling of their cars and who they choose to purchase them, more so when new.

https://www.hotcars.com/rules-ferrari-owners-employee-rules/

https://www.experienceferrari.com/ferrari-rules/

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My bother in law just purchased a Ferrari 488 Spider and got it done in one day without having a history with Ferrari. This is his first.
As I understand it the real grind is for new. My cousin went through a Ferrari dealership in CA for his, prior ownership wasnā€™t needed for his but there was some vetting done. To what extent I donā€™t know, I didnā€™t really ask him. He is talking to them about a new one, Iā€™ll see if I can get more details on that process.

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
As I understand it the real grind is for new. My cousin went through a Ferrari dealership in CA for his, prior ownership wasnā€™t needed for his but there was some vetting done. To what extent I donā€™t know, I didnā€™t really ask him. He is talking to them about a new one, Iā€™ll see if I can get more details on that process.
I think you're right that it is for new Ferraris only or perhaps also certain models (I'm talking about the ones that go for close to a million $$$ or so.)

Sponsored

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Porsche tooā€¦ you need to buy a bunch of shitty SUVs and 911s to get on the multi year waitlist to sniff a GT3 let alone GT2

Thereā€™s a good expose on YouTube some guy didā€¦ it ends up being cheaper to pay 2-300K adm through a reseller then all the depreciation from buying Macans and cayennes.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I think you're right that it is for new Ferraris only or perhaps also certain models (I'm talking about the ones that go for close to a million $$$ or so.)
Although I find the process offensive, I do understand why Ford tries to control the visibility of itā€˜s halo cars. But I usually refrain from carping about a situation unless I have a better solution and I donā€™t. And Iā€™m not a prospect for one to start with. I am surprised to learn from Tomster that Ford holds up the title (I assume they donā€™t execute the MSO to the buyer) on the GTs. Legally this would create all kinds of problems; in most states no title = no tag or registration.

Iā€™m not sure how Ferrari or any other OEM has any say-so whatsoever about what happens to their used cars, unless of course the dealership happens to own it.

I do hate to see this business model spreading around. Iā€™m unlikely to ever be a prospect for a new Ferrari either, even a cheapie, but I have been for a new 911 and might be again. And as I experienced in another post this crap is rolling downhill.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
WTF. So that means douchebags like StangChode, Stradman and Speed Phenom have a better shot than someone that really cares to have the car. And what I mean by that is ā€œinfluencersā€ will show the car on their channels to get likes and views, make money off of it, then once the views stagnate (it always does) theyā€™ll ditch the car for the next best thing. And the level to which some of these influencers will go for views/clicks/whatever drives me absolutely nuts. Thereā€™s probably some that are fine but most I wonā€™t give the time of day to, even if they get a GTD. What an absolute waste IMO. Way to eff that one up Ford.

Hopefully some ā€œinfluencerā€ like Leno gets one. Heā€™ll do a big episode on his show but will also drive it the way it was meant to be driven and because he truly appreciates the car. Those other dopes only care what it will do for their channels.

Sorry you got cut off the application process for something as stupid as that. Off my soapbox now.
StangChode :cwl: I about blew my coffee out my nose LOL. Made my morning. I do agree, I hope Leno gets one. His content is great.. Bill Goldberg would do it justice too... He is mostly a Mopar guy but has a few other rare cars...

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Although I find the process offensive, I do understand why Ford tries to control the visibility of itā€˜s halo cars. But I usually refrain from carping about a situation unless I have a better solution and I donā€™t. And Iā€™m not a prospect for one to start with. I am surprised to learn from Tomster that Ford holds up the title (I assume they donā€™t execute the MSO to the buyer) on the GTs. Legally this would create all kinds of problems; in most states no title = no tag or registration.

Iā€™m not sure how Ferrari or any other OEM has any say-so whatsoever about what happens to their used cars, unless of course the dealership happens to own it.

I do hate to see this business model spreading around. Iā€™m unlikely to ever be a prospect for a new Ferrari either, even a cheapie, but I have been for a new 911 and might be again. And as I experienced in another post this crap is rolling downhill.
Iā€™m not saying I agree with it, but I understand it. Ford is only making so many of these (same as the GT before it), so they donā€™t want them changing hands a bunch of times by would-be flippers that donā€™t give a damn about the car itself. They, for the most part, want these cars in the hands of people that truly appreciate the car for what it is and want to hang onto it. Now, I think itā€™s incredibly difficult to vet that so itā€™s kind of a crap shoot, thus the application process with history, videos, etc. I understand the whole free market argument as well, but bottom line is itā€™s their product and they can choose to sell it to whomever they please in any (legal) manner they choose.

I just question the ā€œinfluencerā€ piece of it. 99% of them fall into the category of ā€œI donā€™t really care about the car but it will give me views and revenue and clout so I want itā€. Put them in the hands of the folks that appreciate the car for what it is, not these silly YouTubers that couldnā€™t care less at the end of the day.

But I think Fordā€™s hope is the wannabe clout chasers see these things on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and whatever else social media platforms and they go out and buy new Mustangs. And the end of the day itā€™s all marketing, not an approach I necessarily like but it is what it is.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
StangChode :cwl: I about blew my coffee out my nose LOL. Made my morning. I do agree, I hope Leno gets one. His content is great.. Bill Goldberg would do it justice too... He is mostly a Mopar guy but has a few other rare cars...
Leno, Tim Allen I could see getting one as well. Goldberg would be an interesting one. I think heā€™s probably too Mopar. Frankie Muniz has been at a TON of Ford events in the last year or two, I bet heā€™s on the list. And Iā€™m sure if the Ford family, Farley and some other execs will get one as well. The allocations start getting thin pretty quickly when you factor those in.

Thereā€™s a few folks here that have stated theyā€™d get it on track for sure, give it to those folks! I would love to see videos of that car on track.
Sponsored