Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Where did you get that 4000 lbs? If its that heavy i m out! 3800 lb range is ok.
They said the 2017 ZL1 was around 200lbs lighter. The last tested 2015 ZL1 had a weight of 4,118lbs.

4,118lbs-200=3,918lbs

Figure 3,900lbs rounded down (benefit of the doubt). It won't be 4,000lbs unloaded, but it won't be as light as a 1SS/2SS car.
Sponsored

75Brick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 Bricklin 11 Fusion 15 200S 95 Trans Am
They said the 2017 ZL1 was around 200lbs lighter. The last tested 2015 ZL1 had a weight of 4,118lbs.

4,118lbs-200=3,918lbs

Figure 3,900lbs rounded down (benefit of the doubt). It won't be 4,000lbs unloaded, but it won't be as light as a 1SS/2SS car.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2015 is listed as weighing between 4,118 lbs and 4,374 lbs. Technically, the new one could weigh as much as 4,174 lbs and GM would not be lying about the weight.

So in summary, it will likely weigh between 3,900 lbs and 4,174 lbs.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's certainly an opinion, but one that I share, just from the perspective of the uniqueness of the GT350.

A flat-plane V8 not use in another platform (or another vehicle in it's market segment), it's manual only, it doesn't exist as a convertible - the R variant has pretty exotic touches like carbon fiber wheels (among additional ultra unique components).

To top it off, it's a Shelby - that's a pretty special namesake and an exclusive, historically significant group of vehicles that share the snake logo.

Just my $0.02 :cheers:

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
It's certainly an opinion, but one that I share, just from the perspective of the uniqueness of the GT350.

A flat-plane V8 not use in another platform (or another vehicle in it's market segment), it's manual only, it doesn't exist as a convertible - the R variant has pretty exotic touches like carbon fiber wheels (among additional ultra unique components).

To top it off, it's a Shelby - that's a pretty special namesake and an exclusive, historically significant group of vehicles that share the snake logo.

Just my $0.02 :cheers:
As much of a Shelby fan I am, and I own a GT350R, the Shelby name is also pretty whored out. Considering Shelby American had 0% to do with the creation of the new GT350, it's namesake isn't that wonderful in my opinion.

Anyone remember the Shelby Omni from the 80s? LOL

The ZL1 moniker is pretty prestigious on it's own as well. http://jalopnik.com/5759179/the-legend-of-the-zl1

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
As much of a Shelby fan I am, and I own a GT350R, the Shelby name is also pretty whored out. Considering Shelby American had 0% to do with the creation of the new GT350, it's namesake isn't that wonderful in my opinion.

The ZL1 moniker is pretty prestigious on it's own as well. http://jalopnik.com/5759179/the-legend-of-the-zl1
Totally aware, but it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest! :thumbsup:

Side note: just noticed your location, my wife is from the Pittsburgh area, graduated from CMU :)

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

This.

I felt pretty much the same back when I had my GT500.....some are so hung up on that name being on the car, when the guy had so little to do with any of the newer Mustang stuff.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Same goes for your comment :). The attention they were getting at the local cars and coffee was no joke.

I don't see GT350 sales slowing down anytime soon. Might lose a few to the magazine/spec sheet racers, but plenty still in line to take their place. I find great humor in those who debate over 1-2 second lap time deltas that Probst did at XXX track, when they themselves 1) Won't ever go to the track 2) If they do go to the track, won't ever come close to reaching the limits of the car

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same goes for your comment :)

I don't see GT350 sales slowing down anytime soon. Might lose a few to the magazine/spec sheet racers, but plenty still in line to take their place. I find great humor in those who debate over 1-2 second lap time deltas that Probst did at XXX track, when they themselves 1) Won't ever go to the track 2) If they do go to the track, won't ever come close to reaching the limits of the car
I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about performance and performance only.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In that case the 2nd half of my comment applies =)

And if we were talking performance only, everyone would just buy a GTR, ACR, or Z06. The performance level of everything in the segment is now so high, performance itself is becoming less and less relevant. As a P-car guy you would know that, especially with the GT3 RS and 911R comparison that will soon be played out. We all know the GT3 RS will be the top performer, but that isnt going to stop plenty for lusting for the 911R

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Same goes for your comment :). The attention they were getting at the local cars and coffee was no joke.

I don't see GT350 sales slowing down anytime soon. Might lose a few to the magazine/spec sheet racers, but plenty still in line to take their place. I find great humor in those who debate over 1-2 second lap time deltas that Probst did at XXX track, when they themselves 1) Won't ever go to the track 2) gIf they do go to the track, won't ever come close to reaching the limits of the car
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true:shrug::shrug:

Sponsored

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In that case the 2nd half of my comment applies =)

And if we were talking performance only, everyone would just buy a GTR, ACR, or Z06. The performance level of everything in the segment is now so high, performance itself is becoming less and less relevant. As a P-car guy you would know that, especially with the GT3 RS and 911R comparison that will soon be played out. We all know the GT3 RS will be the top performer, but that isnt going to stop plenty for lusting for the 911R
Hello, you are still talking about sales and what people will buy. I am talking about which car will cross the finish line first.

It is fair to say the GT350R, ZL1 and Z28 will all most likely be within a competing dollar price point of each other. My point is the GT350R was designed to go after the previous gen Z28 and it outperformed it like it was designed to do. Now Chevy will most likely up the ante and beat the 350R. I also feel they will have no problem doing it with the ZL1 as well. My opinions.

I eagerly await to see what Ford has in store for the GT500, i am curious if it in itself will out handle the 350R, my money says it won't, but will most certainly beat it, the ZL1, and Z28 on a drag strip if history repeats itself.

Now I bought my 911 Turbo S, because it out performs the GTR and Z06 in all areas, and fits my price point. I am not enough of a fan of the Viper to warrant going out and spending money on something Dodge makes that loses a ton of value immediately and they are discontinuing production on. I feel they are awesome cars but not for me. I like the technology in the 911 Turbo S. I love the ability to be able to remain competitive in all areas of performance without changing a thing on it, as well as how civil it is to go out to dinner in, as well as bust off some mid 10'ish quarter miles, blazingly fast 2.7 0-60 times, handles like a dream and has a fit and finish better than everything you listed above.

I love the Z06's performance, but I see way too many of them in my neighborhood, that and they do not feel like a $100,000 car from a quality perspective. It definitely gives you $250,000 car performance though, but in what I feel is something equivalent to a $30,000 car's quality and finish. Compared to a Porsche and BMW, it feels cheap.

As far as the GT350R, I feel I got more than my money's worth out of it.

Last edited:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Your point? Yes some with large ADMs are unsold, however there are a lot of those listed cars that are not actually in inventory or have already been presold. Those adds are autogenerated for most dealers once the car is invoiced and shows up in inventory.

I encourage you to email/call all of those dealers and see how many are actually valid cars for sale. If they are selling at or near MSRP, they are going fast.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hello, you are still talking about sales and what people will buy. I am talking about which car will cross the finish line first.
If that is your sole point, then sure, it might be very close or eclipse the GT350 in performance.

But who really cares about that if it doesnt translate into a huge shift in sales?

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that is your sole point, then sure, it might be very close or eclipse the GT350 in performance.

But who really cares about that if it doesnt translate into a huge shift in sales?
I do, because I don't care what people buy. I care what I buy. It's like the same thing as me giving a shit about the guy in front of me at subway getting something different than me, and hating him for it.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Your point? Yes some with large ADMs are unsold, however there are a lot of those listed cars that are not actually in inventory or have already been presold. Those adds are autogenerated for most dealers once the car is invoiced and shows up in inventory.

I encourage you to email/call all of those dealers and see how many are actually valid cars for sale. If they are selling at or near MSRP, they are going fast.
The cars listed are in dealer stock, or are allocated for the dealer but unsold. Yes many have ADM, but many are 5k or less. True some are just plain stupid.:crazy: The point is, many say the car is a bargain for what you get, so a small ADM should not be a issue for a hot car. But seeing near 500 unsold (this is only those listed on CarGurus) just seems a lot for what is deemed the hottest car out there. And now the 17 are out to be ordered. The GT350 is indeed a sweet car, but fits a small group of people.
Sponsored