GT350 is weighed!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Funny thing though, with exhaust, rear seat delete and lighter wheels, the base gtpp can scale less than 3640 lbs!
And no aux cooling.
Sponsored

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
S550 Chassis > Alpha Chassis
I would have to agree. It took GM a lot of work to get the Camaro's weights down and the price shows it. It's not content based like everyone tries to justify. A few coolers and a 8 inch touchscreen standard does not equal thousands of dollars. I actually would not be surprised to see the camaro's price go up like the corvette has.

Edt: I guess I should say value/dollar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447346746.959499.jpg

This section of their write up says it all when concerned about the Camaro being lighter than the S550. The base Camaro with 4-piston brakes and cloth interior weighs 3670 when nearly full of gas. The base S550 GT with 4-piston brakes and cloth interior weighs 3600 with almost no fuel. So, with a full tank, the S550 weighs about 3700lbs. It's 30lbs. heavier than the equivalent Camaro.

We're really just splitting hairs here. Put a cat back on the S550 to lose that "suitcase" resonator, and you're within a snack sized bag of Cheetos between the two. This makes me feel a lot better than I did at first glance. Add power leather seats, 6-piston brakes, MRC suspension, and a few other options to the Camaro, and you're sitting at about the same weight as the GT350 I bet.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
MRC adds almost no weight. C6 Mag weighed a Vette with Mag ride and without, equally equipped and it added something like 10lbs. That small of a difference could account for materials blend imperfections. While it does add more weight, it's literally negligible in the real world. The Camaro is interesting in that you either get nothing in creature comforts but all the performance or the whole lot of luxury and performance. I'm willing to bet that the 2SS with it adding power this, power that, heated and cooled seats, a big stereo, and increased interior material adds a good 70lbs or so.

4thstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
06 Tungsten GT vert
I understand that. I'm just stating that the engine is offset to the right and that it accounts for some of the difference, as would the battery and other items. There is only a 18 pound difference from side to side total.
Interesting theory,
the 2016 Camaro is heavier on the left front...
and 81 lbs heavier on the RR vs LR

GT350 is:
110 lbs heavier on LR vs RR
but I'm thinking the seam in the concrete on the RR is affecting corner weights.

Brian S.
06 GT vert

4thstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
06 Tungsten GT vert
They "car manufacturers " are also starting to use aluminum wiring over copper to reduce weight.
That's a REALLY bad idea!
There is a reason it was banned from being used in house wiring.

Multi-plex wiring is the next innovation in automotive wiring, in things that do not require large current, much like the wiring in computers and home electronics.

Brian S.
06GT vert

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
MRC adds almost no weight. C6 Mag weighed a Vette with Mag ride and without, equally equipped and it added something like 10lbs. That small of a difference could account for materials blend imperfections. While it does add more weight, it's literally negligible in the real world. The Camaro is interesting in that you either get nothing in creature comforts but all the performance or the whole lot of luxury and performance. I'm willing to bet that the 2SS with it adding power this, power that, heated and cooled seats, a big stereo, and increased interior material adds a good 70lbs or so.

I understand that, but I was just saying after it's all added up.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The Camaro for now also doesn't have a 6 pot brake option. Its the same braking system across the 1 and 2 SS. There's no "performance" options.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The PFC 2pc rotor for the 1M is 4.2lbs lighter per rotor than the GT350/M3 cast aluminum hat 1pc rotor design:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818535

Since the GT350 has a much larger rotor, the weight reduction would likely be greater.
I guess we shall see, but the GT350 rotor hat looks much less bulky than the 1M, so I dont see as much savings.

The Camaro for now also doesn't have a 6 pot brake option. Its the same braking system across the 1 and 2 SS. There's no "performance" options.
Much smaller wheels/tires as well. All that grip doesnt come free

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Oh! I thought they had a 6-piston option. My mistake.

The Camaro beats the Mustang GTPP in all the handling and braking tests, but that could just be from the softer shocks and tire selection. The Mustang is more comfortable, the Camaro is more performance. Just like way back in the fourth gen GM versus new edge Mustang days.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Oh! I thought they had a 6-piston option. My mistake.

The Camaro beats the Mustang GTPP in all the handling and braking tests, but that could just be from the softer shocks and tire selection. The Mustang is more comfortable, the Camaro is more performance. Just like way back in the fourth gen GM versus new edge Mustang days.
They do have the option, its just a dealer installed option. They're nice brakes. Slotted and whatnot.

The new SS is aimed way more at performance for sure. The ride is way stiffer than even the PP on the mustang. Mag results show MRC is about the same if not worst on the skid pad. Seems like if you want the softer more comfortable ride you have to get MRC. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out for GM.

I'm pretty confident that if Ford was to offer a track pack for the Mustang, it would have no problem equaling or bettering the SS on a track.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
They do have the option, its just a dealer installed option. They're nice brakes. Slotted and whatnot.

The new SS is aimed way more at performance for sure. The ride is way stiffer than even the PP on the mustang. Mag results show MRC is about the same if not worst on the skid pad. Seems like if you want the softer more comfortable ride you have to get MRC. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out for GM.

I'm pretty confident that if Ford was to offer a track pack for the Mustang, it would have no problem equaling or bettering the SS on a track.
Just curious, but isn't the Performance Pack essentially the track pack for the Mustang? I would think the GT and SS are comparable trim levels and the GT PP is the next step up. Which might be similar to the next 1LE (?). So the Mustang will need an additional TP trim above PP to best the SS numbers, which is a trim level below it? Not arguing with you, and haven't even seen the performance numbers for the SS cars so I'm really just curious if the new Camaro is that much ahead of the Mustang.

Edit: Or is the 1SS equivalent to the GT and the 2SS to the GT PP?
Sponsored

Last edited: