Sponsored

GT clutch, blown up after 11 months. No warranty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It looks like the clutch material either broke apart first or broke free from the rivets, then got chopped up from spinning. I'm not sure who the disc supplier is to Ford these days but it used to be Valeo for many years.

I'm not sure if the disc is riveted and glued or just riveted. If just riveted there's a possibility the material around the rivets deteriorated and then failed.

If the disc material came loose first, that would explain the burn marks on the pressure plate and/or flywheel.

If a driver rides the clutch, that could also create burn marks, but not sure about it causing any damage as seen in the pics (to clutch disc).

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Update: I got a call from my dealership yesterday stating Ford got in touch with them, after reviewing my case, and would be replacing my clutch under warranty. I should have my car back by Saturday, maybe tomorrow depending on parts shipping. I'm quite pleased.
That's great!

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
Just goes to show how shitty dealers are. Unless the heat is put on them they dont give a damn. We had an issue with our 14 escape and the dealer basically said fuck off. Glad you got a resolution though...we sure didnt.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
these clutch failure photos tend to look the same. Clutch material on what I think is the flywheel side comes apart, while the pressure plate side is still good, along with evidence of overheating. Does the flywheel retain more heat than the pressure plate?

How else can there be heat damage other than a slipping clutch, or slipping the clutch? If there is a pressure plate defect, resulting in insufficient clamping force, is that always obvious?

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Update: I got a call from my dealership yesterday stating Ford got in touch with them, after reviewing my case, and would be replacing my clutch under warranty. I should have my car back by Saturday, maybe tomorrow depending on parts shipping. I'm quite pleased.
That’s great news, DIB_GT!

Congrats! Thank you FordService :ford:
You’re welcome, paul123!!

Deysha

Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT PP manual
wish me luck.
I just left the dealer for the EXACT same problem. they hit me with 1500 repair cost without even trying to call in the warranty.. I hope I get as lucky as you and have this thing replaced

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby PP with some goodies
Mine is back and fourth at the dealer. I purchased it with 190 miles on it. On my way home I experienced nothcy shifting. Then all the sudden you can here the clutch engagement every shift.. When you're in a parking lot pulling forward and specially reverse. You hear what sounds like Clutch chatter and as if the plates are going side to side. You have to try and drive the car smooth. I've driven 4 Gt's and 3 PP non exhibit the same issues. Except the pp having more of the rear in thud which is normal.. Some say the insert helps with that.. Other then that my driveshaft has been replaced do to excessive play. I do a lot of highway driving I'm at 7100 miles. They driveshaft was replaced around 6500 miles.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby PP with some goodies
It's now back in the shop. Waiting to hear back. It's been said that it couldn't be input shaft gears and or clutch/ flywheel.. Just open the Trans already and get this resolved. I bought a brand new car and the service has been a headache to deal with. I finally talked to a rep from Ford yesterday after 7 attempts..

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
Just goes to show how shitty dealers are. Unless the heat is put on them they dont give a damn. We had an issue with our 14 escape and the dealer basically said fuck off. Glad you got a resolution though...we sure didnt.
Not all dealers!!

Here is a car that came into our shop with same issue. We never denied the customer of warranty! The issue with warranty and wear items, is that they have to be defective, not misused or abused. Sounds to me like that dealer jumped the gun w/o a proper diagnosis.

[/ATTACH]
IMG_1381.jpg

Attachments

Sponsored

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT PP2
Mine is back and fourth at the dealer. I purchased it with 190 miles on it. On my way home I experienced nothcy shifting. Then all the sudden you can here the clutch engagement every shift.. When you're in a parking lot pulling forward and specially reverse. You hear what sounds like Clutch chatter and as if the plates are going side to side. You have to try and drive the car smooth. I've driven 4 Gt's and 3 PP non exhibit the same issues. Except the pp having more of the rear in thud which is normal.. Some say the insert helps with that.. Other then that my driveshaft has been replaced do to excessive play. I do a lot of highway driving I'm at 7100 miles. They driveshaft was replaced around 6500 miles.
I am having the EXACT same clutch chatter issue as you. I've taken the car in 4 times as it keeps getting louder and they keep saying its normal.
My car has 4900 miles and a stock DS

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
OP - Glad Ford took care of you. I know some people bash on Ford a bit but I have purchase alot of fords new (4x mustangs, 3x explorers, 2x Expeditions, Edge, Escape, F150, Taurus SHO) and except for a paint issue on my '87 Mustang (during the switch from HVOC paint) I have never had a significant issue. When there have been things Ford stood right up and fixed them. Alot of your service experience depends on your dealer, and the one I have been using hear for the last almost 20yrs is good and I trust them. Get to know a specific service advisor (my guy is Rusty) and they will take care of you - if not find a new dealer.

Last edited:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Ford denied warranty coverage on my son's SVT Focus at 7000 miles citing abuse. It was not even the clutch that failed. It was his slave. I haven't bought another Ford until now. It troubles me that dealers are still up to the same shenanigans. I tried contacting Ford back than and found their customer service was subcontracted. I hope that has at least improved.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Not all dealers!!

Here is a car that came into our shop with same issue. We never denied the customer of warranty! The issue with warranty and wear items, is that they have to be defective, not misused or abused. Sounds to me like that dealer jumped the gun w/o a proper diagnosis.
clutch looks like it was overheated. What did the flywheel look like ?