Sponsored

GT clutch, blown up after 11 months. No warranty.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
what is the GT500 OEM clutch technical specifications? Chances are its an organic material clutch, optimized for street use, but vulnerable to heat:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/choosing-clutch.html
An organic clutch will stand up to hard use, but it won’t be able to take repeated abuse because it will overheat.

this much power can easily cook a clutch:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-test-review
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
Displacement:
355 cu in, 5812 cc
Power: 662 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 631 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

You install another OEM or go aftermarket?
I haven't yet.. its just sitting in the garage collecting dust... I am not sure what to do.. I don't think the OEM is worth the money and the aftermarket I am worried to have new noises or chatter.. my GT500 is totally stock and always will be.. one day Ill get a clutch.. but Ill need a lot of input..

Thanks !
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I haven't yet.. its just sitting in the garage collecting dust... I am not sure what to do.. I don't think the OEM is worth the money and the aftermarket I am worried to have new noises or chatter.. my GT500 is totally stock and always will be.. one day Ill get a clutch.. but Ill need a lot of input..
you can google for the specs on your OEM clutch, and try to decide if you need aftermarket clutch. Did you keep the old parts? Any indication of heat damage?

Not sure what transmission you have in the GT500, but check out this clutch:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/centerforce-dyad-ds-twin-clutch-1116gt.html
•Holds up to 1300 ft/lbs of Torque (at the Flywheel)
•Fits 2011-2016 GT and BOSS with the MT-82 Transmission
•Smooth Engagement - Light Pedal Effort

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
you can google for the specs on your OEM clutch, and try to decide if you need aftermarket clutch. Did you keep the old parts? Any indication of heat damage?

Not sure what transmission you have in the GT500, but check out this clutch:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/centerforce-dyad-ds-twin-clutch-1116gt.html
•Holds up to 1300 ft/lbs of Torque (at the Flywheel)
•Fits 2011-2016 GT and BOSS with the MT-82 Transmission
•Smooth Engagement - Light Pedal Effort
Thanks.. I think its a tremec.. I haven't even taken it apart yet..

Thanks for the info and recommendation..

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... I don't think the OEM is worth the money and the aftermarket I am worried to have new noises or chatter..
ceramic clutches might be more annoying for street use. I haven't had one before, but in the descriptions, I have seen such words as chatter and "grabby".

OEM (or aftermarket high torque organic) clutch should be fine if it is installed correctly. Just shift soft and let the engine do all the work. I wouldn't mind having 631 lb ft of torque :thumbsup:

Just curious, what do you do with such a car if it needs to go to shop for any length of time? Any concerns of the shop hot rodding your car? Can you set an RPM Limiter for such occasions?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
ceramic clutches might be more annoying for street use. I haven't had one before, but in the descriptions, I have seen such words as chatter and "grabby".

OEM (or aftermarket high torque organic) clutch should be fine if it is installed correctly. Just shift soft and let the engine do all the work. I wouldn't mind having 631 lb ft of torque :thumbsup:

Just curious, what do you do with such a car if it needs to go to shop for any length of time? Any concerns of the shop hot rodding your car? Can you set an RPM Limiter for such occasions?
Well.. there is not much you can do in terms of a rev limiter.. you can put a tracking device in it. They have those tiles now that are impossible to know they are in there.. you can install a DVR.. I think they have to be made aware its in there.. but they have to leave it recording.. its a white knuckle ride when it goes i though.. I don't understand why techs have to rag on peoples cars.. I never understood that.. Grown men cant control themselves and have to hammer on it..

Sponsored

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Hide an iPhone in the car and track it yourself?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
at this risk of getting off topic:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...500-test-review-blue-ton-of-horsepower-page-2
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
No trust fund required for this blue-collar, 662-hp monster. (631 lb ft of torque)

... With a car like this, you inevitably focus on the numbers. The $54,995 GT500 coupe turns in a 0-to-60 sprint of 3.5 seconds. Ferociously tall gearing means third gear is good for 140 mph and first gear is long enough to reach highway speeds

... Interesting trivia: The GT500’s sixth gear, a whopping 0.50 overdrive, was predictably chosen for fuel economy—the Shelby cranks out 24 mpg on the highway and carries no gas-guzzler tax. As a result, sixth serves up 80 mph at 1500 rpm, which means you can offer joy rides to the rubes and blow their minds all over the dash by telling them your fancy new Ford is geared for 350 mph at 7000 rpm in sixth. (Don’t mention it’s only possible through math, not the laws of physics. Just do a bunch of burnouts and strut off.)

Hameedi insists the car’s tall gearing was deliberate and necessary—“We could have built something that spun its wheels in third gear at 70 mph and had you countersteering on the interstate, but we wanted this to be manageable”— but all that does is make you think, “Countersteering on the interstate? Cool.”

Countersteering on the interstate? :eyebulge:

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT: PP and Recaros
Update: I got a call from my dealership yesterday stating Ford got in touch with them, after reviewing my case, and would be replacing my clutch under warranty. I should have my car back by Saturday, maybe tomorrow depending on parts shipping. I'm quite pleased.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... I have close to 150k miles put on my last 3 vehicles(all stick) and have never burned up a clutch
curious if the any of these have had a strong V8 ?

I had an F150 in manual, 200hp. Mustang engine is quite a bit more power.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
another thing that crossed my mind, is whether the stock clutch peddle / shifter provides enough feedback. It may be that a clutch could have a slight drag that goes undetected, making it more prone to heat.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
Well.. there is not much you can do in terms of a rev limiter.. you can put a tracking device in it. They have those tiles now that are impossible to know they are in there.. you can install a DVR.. I think they have to be made aware its in there.. but they have to leave it recording.. its a white knuckle ride when it goes i though.. I don't understand why techs have to rag on peoples cars.. I never understood that.. Grown men cant control themselves and have to hammer on it..
I just let the service manager know I took a picture of the odometer so they know not to even try it.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Congrats.. I'm glad they took care of you! It's a real surprise to me.. But I'm happy they took good care of you.. Enjoy the new clutch!

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT: PP and Recaros
curious if the any of these have had a strong V8 ?

I had an F150 in manual, 200hp. Mustang engine is quite a bit more power.
No V8's but there was a 5.9L straight 6 making ~350 hp, ~700 ft/lbs conservatively, most of those miles were on it. Drivetrain outlasted the vehicle, but that'd surprise nobody with the manufacturer's reputation.

I'm buying the 35 lb/in clutch assist spring, I've always found the clutch pedal too numb-feeling.
Sponsored