Engine "Rattle"

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
MP - how are you sure it's not piston slap? Do you have a recording of it you can post?
I'm pretty sure it will not be audible through a video. Mine does it almost as bad even when engine is warm.

It does it so loud under load at around 1500-2500 rpm , that i barely hear the engine's normal sound. If that makes any sense. But i'm sure you get what i'm trying to say.

I'll have to get with two other owners of GT350's i know and see if their cars have the same issue.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It does it so loud under load at around 1500-2500 rpm , that i barely hear the engine's normal sound. If that makes any sense. But i'm sure you get what i'm trying to say.
I would advise you to avoid loading the engine at low rpms like that. It's not really good for it.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm pretty sure it will not be audible through a video. Mine does it almost as bad even when engine is warm.

I'll have to get with two other owners of GT350's i know and see if their cars have the same issue.
Comparing to another car sounds like a good plan.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I would advise you to avoid loading the engine at low rpms like that. It's not really good for it.
Yeah i know, was just trying to gather some data on how and when it rattles when driving the car.
When warm i hear it less, but still very distinct especially in 1st and 2nd gear.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
My rattle symptoms occur when the engine is NOT loaded. Mine occur in the same RPM ranges mentioned (1800 - 2900) but only on very light throttle input.

If I apply the throttle to load the engine more, noise goes away.

If I let off the throttle and engine brake, noise goes away.

As mentioned previously by Trackaholic, it seems like noise from the dual mass flywheel. There are little springs that connect the two faces of the flywheel (similar to what a sprung hub clutch disk looks like). This allows the engine side and friction (clutch) side to have some relative displacement - damping out engine vibration.

If there is no torque applied, the two sides of the flywheel can oscillate minutely, creating a rattling noise. Since my noise goes away with torque applied to the flywheel (loading through larger throttle input or engine braking), I think it is the flywheel. Back in the late 90's F350 owners had problems with their DM flywheels making noise and some went with solid ones, but experienced lots more vibration.

Others may be experiencing piston slap, but I don't think I am. Just my $0.02 - maybe a dealership will confirm or deny this theory.

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
My rattle symptoms occur when the engine is NOT loaded. Mine occur in the same RPM ranges mentioned (1800 - 2900) but only on very light throttle input.

If I apply the throttle to load the engine more, noise goes away.

If I let off the throttle and engine brake, noise goes away.

As mentioned previously by Trackaholic, it seems like noise from the dual mass flywheel. There are little springs that connect the two faces of the flywheel (similar to what a sprung hub clutch disk looks like). This allows the engine side and friction (clutch) side to have some relative displacement - damping out engine vibration.

If there is no torque applied, the two sides of the flywheel can oscillate minutely, creating a rattling noise. Since my noise goes away with torque applied to the flywheel (loading through larger throttle input or engine braking), I think it is the flywheel. Back in the late 90's F350 owners had problems with their DM flywheels making noise and some went with solid ones, but experienced lots more vibration.

Others may be experiencing piston slap, but I don't think I am. Just my $0.02 - maybe a dealership will confirm or deny this theory.

You could be onto something with this flywheel thing. I also read somewhere on these threads someone mentionning that he had a rattle with the engine plate block or something.

Anyway's i have an appointment next week, so i'll report back my findings here.

Mosgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Flywheel explanation is interesting but would the rattling noise decrease when warm if it w as the flywheel?

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Flywheel explanation is interesting but would the rattling noise decrease when warm if it w as the flywheel?
Rattling decreases with mine when engine is warm.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Noise volume doesn't change with engine temperature fluctuation in my car - pretty constant. Here is a quote from an SAE article regarding the torsional vibration issues Ford had with this engine:

“This [vibration] was our biggest engineering challenge even after we had the first prototype,” Nair noted. “Things were breaking and the technical guys were worried. Whether or not we continued down the flat-plane-crank path for GT350 came down to a critical prototype drive we had scheduled. After that drive, we all went into a meeting room for the debriefing. And we unanimously concluded that we simply had to have this motor! We were determined to solve the issues.”

What followed was, in Nair’s words, “a lot of stiffening of the cylinder block, exhaust system, and various brackets” achieved through an intense FEA analysis, plus “a lot of tuning.” Nair said the result yielded unique torsional-damping technology among other patent-pending actions aimed at taming the beast."

http://articles.sae.org/13709/

Its possible we are all hearing different "rattles" with the car too!

Last edited:

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was at the track attack today in Utah, drove their track pack, it had the same rattle around 1800-2100 rpm just FYI, it's pretty common guys

Sponsored

Rags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
So still no real answer. For me its a problem. I drive ten miles to work and back daily and a most of it is not at high speed so I hear the rattle.
AM: Just about every morning gives me that funny look. I try to drown is out with track mode :) but still can hear it.
PM: Park in garage and try to avoid it so not to get that same look.
I'm just one of those people that cant stop thinking about it and it affects my overall feeling for the car. Now come weekend time its game on :)

Mosgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
after cold start, definitely louder for me but i try to be on throttle / load or off throttle which makes it less noticeable. If i really listen for it when warm, i can hear it but not particularly loud.

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
So still no real answer. For me its a problem. I drive ten miles to work and back daily and a most of it is not at high speed so I hear the rattle.
AM: Just about every morning gives me that funny look. I try to drown is out with track mode :) but still can hear it.
PM: Park in garage and try to avoid it so not to get that same look.
I'm just one of those people that cant stop thinking about it and it affects my overall feeling for the car. Now come weekend time its game on :)
Yes, it is annoying, but Ford announced it is piston slap and it is not a problem.
I first reported this back in December.
I have over 11,000 miles on the car and no problems other than the annoying sound.

FWIW
Kirby

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Sorry for not reading through ten pages, I don't know if this has already been posted. It's normal.

SM 45738 - Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM 4-11-2016
Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle - 3000 RPM. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2016 CAR: ZG MUSTANG (S550)
2016 CAR: 00071 MUSTANG

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It may be normal, but as I mentioned in the other rattle oasis thread, my rattle is now gone. Maybe it just happened by itself, but since I read engine break in threads, I changed the way I warm up and drive the car. Ever since, rattle is gone.
Sponsored