Engine "Rattle"

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Mine has the rattle since day one. I'm not concerned as I believe it's just a characteristic of the voodoo. I'm skeptical of the claim that low RPM engine loads can cause or accelerate this condition.

I hadn't heard that in regards to piston slap, either but the advice is 100% on-point. You should never "lug" an engine. Usually bearing damage is what people relate to this. An example of lugging would be WOT in 4th gear at only 20MPH or whatever low-RPM that relates to.

So just say no to engine lugging :)
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would think if it was something intrinsic to the engine it would be happening to every vehicle. Is this the case, or are there people out there who don't have this occurring? Assuming good hearing or hearing aids.
I've never heard it in my car. Like any sound - I suppose it's possible that it's subtle enough that I haven't noticed it but others think it's intrusive.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Another vote here for piston slap....

My '01 Bullitt had it bad when the engine was cold. Drove me nuts.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I get a hum, kind of low tone whine only in second, and the pitch varies with RPM, But no rattles of any kind yet at 680 miles.

svtgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I get a hum, kind of low tone whine only in second, and the pitch varies with RPM, But no rattles of any kind yet at 680 miles.

there is an excessive wine (vibration) in second that I dont hear in other gears
if I press the shifter to the right the noise dissapears
I can only hear it with the radio off and in normal mode
just being picky maybe
might be only related to the shifter?

Sponsored

65ffr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Ram 1500, '65 FFR Cobra
I was just looking at Trackaholic's 'experience' thread, his dyno shows the power 'dip' beginning right at 2800 and starting to recover at 3200....matches OP's range perfectly (at least under full throttle).
This rattling may be related to whatever is causing that power dip, the rpm range will probably vary due to the throttle application, which might be why some are seeing it at lower/different rpm's under less than full throttle. Maybe some funky cam timing things going on in that range??

TexanZSG21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
This is certainly not what's happening with mine.
Easiest way to hear it...
Start the engine in the morning and head down your driveway or the street and VERY gradually ease into the throttle. No lugging at all. You're VERY carefully ease the throttle further, it will keep rattling until about 3000rpm.

As it warms up, you will see the start of the rattling rpm move up until it's probably at 2500 or so, but it is always there. Even with the the motor warmed up and having driven 40 miles.

I use my car to commute to work.

A slight increase in throttle will make it go away, a slight decrease in throttle will make it go away. I can make it rattle at will.

FWIW,
Kirby
Probably the best description of the sound I have as well, however, I feel like it pretty much goes away once the car is fully warmed up. I noticed it but figured it was just a characteristic of the motor but my boss who is a huge car guy w/ a '15 GT PP noticed it as soon as I started to pull out of a parking lot onto the road (he was riding with me and heard it well enough to the point that he asked if there was something rattling in the car). Trying to decide if it's worth bringing to the dealer's attention or not.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Took mine for a half hour drive and its pretty loud (Im pretty picky to single out random noises) till the car fully warms up. To soon to say if it goes away when warmed up but it's certainly less noticeable. I've noticed a few other random noises when shutting the engine off but nothing I would view as a true concern. It sure would be nice to know that's a normal characteristic of this engine.

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
Could it be pinging from bad fuel. Just a out of the box thought. Maybe it was brought up before.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Could it be pinging from bad fuel. Just a out of the box thought. Maybe it was brought up before.
It's possible. Maybe when it gets above 40 degrees here I will hear the noise too.

Sponsored

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
doubtful that so many different folks would be able to get bad fuel and hear a similar noise. Mine has been consistent through 4 tanks of gas at 3 different stations

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ive had my GT350 since 12/15. At first I didn't hear it, but after about a hundred miles or so, I started to notice it. I thought it was my trany, but after reading this thread, I can see that it is not. If I let the car warm up, the noise goes away just as others have described it.

This is just a +1. I am experiencing the same thing as others. FWIW, thanks for the info. It makes me feel better knowing that this is a widespread issue and not a problem.

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
Just a thought. Pinging would really happen under load to. but you never know with the shit fuel these days. this car does have high compression. Maybe the computer causes it somehow with timing . just thoughts.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
FWIW, I'm on tank 2 of dealer supplied fuel. It is 91 octane. I'm due for a fill, so I will find some 93 and report back.
Sponsored