Electric for everyone - the impossible dream

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Making electric options accessible to everyone can seem like a huge mountain to climb. But you know what they say, even the biggest dreams start with a single step. It's all about taking those small strides, whether it's advocating for policy changes or supporting affordable electric vehicle options.
Hello; On the face of it your post reads as very reasonable. Guess much depends on the "small strides" portion. There are most definitely at least two schools of thought regarding how small the strides ought to be and the rate they are taken.
I happen to be on the side that things currently are striding too big and too fast in terms of policy changes.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Newly Announced EPA Vehicle Emission Standards to Reduce Carbon Emissions and Encourage Adoption of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles (msn.com)

Hello; I think this set of standards may be slightly revised from a few months ago but overall much too aggressive. Very likely to do serious harm to the economy in addition to screwing up our vital transport systems.
Using climate change scare tactics to justify dangerous policies, I think, will be a foolish approach and likely will backfire. But the advocates have the bit in their teeth to us a cliche. I figure they hope to get us too far down the path to be able to turn things around. Sort of a point of no return situation.
I even suspect they are aware of some of the potential side effects, both economic and lifestyle. We, the people, will suffer these consequences. We, the people will wind up making sacrifices. Sacrifices the advocates/champions are perfectly willing for us to make.

Might be different if the schemes had a decent chance of actually working.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Dubaiā€™s Flood Nightmare: Artificial Rain Experiment Backfires (msn.com)

Hello; So they have been trying to play with the weather for 20 years to get more rain. Then they get lots of rain they are not prepared to handle. OK, I can see how they could use more rain.
My point would be if the outcome of playing with a local weather event has such an unexpected outcome, the I wonder about the outcome of playing with tremendously more complex climate?

Of course the author of the link threw in some excuses and actually blamed climate change anyway.

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
^^That rain went down there, because there were 2 big crypto bro meetings scheduled.
So someone thought, you fuck up the environment with your energy wasting gambling, take some of that! šŸ™ƒ

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Electric cars are a Trojan horse for the destruction of driving (msn.com)

Hello; interesting and depressing read. I am currently affected by the sorts of changes in the automobile world. The sort of small daily driver 4 banger car with a naturally aspirated engine and a manual is pretty much gone. On top of that the v8's left to us are tortured with gadgets hard to get away from.
I discovered recently almost all Ford, GM and Dodge v8's have built in cylinder deactivation systems. The shutting off two or more cylinders to save a little gas. Seems these systems are known for problems. Some class action suits against GM and Dodge (Stelantas)(SP). Anyway, i do not want these systems.
On the horns of a dilemma today. I have discovered there is a V8 I can get without this setup. A Dodge Challenger can be had without Dodges version called MDS if you get a manual trans.

In Ford, GM and Dodge V8's can still be had without the systems if you get a 3/4 ton truck or bigger and get the larger displacement V8's.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You fail to mention the US is already pumping more oil than any nation in history.
Hello; OK, not sure what you are implying by this, but your positions are well known so suspect an anti fossil fuel dig. But lets go with your comment at face value for a bit. That the USA is pumping lots of oil is in spite of the policies and anti fossil fuel actions.
Some of the newly announced edicts and/or development restrictions will not have an immediate effect.
From the link I posted.
"Interiorā€™s Bureau of Land Management, known as the nationā€™s largest landlord, has long offered leases to oil and gas companies, mining firms and ranchers. Now, for the first time, the nearly 80-year-old agency will auction off ā€œrestoration leasesā€ and ā€œmitigation leasesā€ to entities with plans to restore or conserve public lands."

Seems simple enough. Putting a heavy finger on the scales. Picking winners and losers sort of thing. Locking up potentially recoverable reserves under the guise of conservation. To be sure not the only tactic in play currently.
Blair14 posts like a true believer yet has sense enough to have an ICE vehicle.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Blair14 posts like a true believer yet has sense enough to have an ICE vehicle.
I am not a true believer in anything. I will never buy an EV. I simply prefer a more balanced viewpoint than you present. Everything to you is a government conspiracy. You present solid, sensible arguments then blow it with your constant suspicions. Everything is dire consequences to you. But, most will never occur.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I am not a true believer in anything. I will never buy an EV. I simply prefer a more balanced viewpoint than you present. Everything to you is a government conspiracy. You present solid, sensible arguments then blow it with your constant suspicions. Everything is dire consequences to you. But, most will never occur.
Hello; Fair enough that you get to self-define your own status with regard to beliefs. My act of offering an unsolicited opinion of your motivations is of questionable value to the discussions.

I take exception to the claims of unfounded conspiracy and that I post of things which never will occur. Many, if not most, of the things i post about are happening.

Here is a current conspiracy type theory going around. That being reports a declaration of a national climate emergency is being considered. Has not happened as yet but that sort of notion fits a known pattern.

However, there are policies and actions in place and being taken in real time which can be considered part of a declared war on fossil fuels.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Everything is dire consequences to you. But, most will never occur.
Hello; I suggest a look up of recent EPA rules change concerning power plants. In some parts the rules give operators until 2028 to comply so in an absolute sense the thing has not occured. In a real world scenario power companies must scramble to alter infrastructure to be able to be in compliance by the deadlines.
Same as for auto manufacturers must change over operations well ahead of the looming 2030-2035 mandate deadlines.

Some , perhaps even you, seem to think these rules, mandates just wil not happen. Perhaps by magic, I do not actually understand. I think these edicts & mandates will happen unless some actions are taken to stop them. There is no evidence of common sense from among those in power who are declaring these EPA rules and state mandated no ICE sales by date certain.

I have a small voice and intend to use it.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; An example of something which has not happened yet (and may not happen) is the speculation a national "climate emergency" is being considered being declared.
That is a concerning idea on many fronts. Among my "constant suspicions" to turn a phrase is the implication draconian actions could be taken. Perhaps in a similar way the recent pandemic was used.

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang