Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2024/01/20240114-betavolt.html

Another maybe someday technology. They call it a battery but it really is a fuel cell.

Be nice to know the size and safety in a crash or fire. If this actually works and is scalable it could be the game changer the greenies want. But it is nuclear and we all know how they FEEL about that. :crackup:
Capturing particle emissions from a radioactive isotope is hardly new and not nuclear. It's the basis for most forms of medical scanning done today. I worked on that 40 years ago.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2024/01/20240114-betavolt.html

Another maybe someday technology. They call it a battery but it really is a fuel cell.

Be nice to know the size and safety in a crash or fire. If this actually works and is scalable it could be the game changer the greenies want. But it is nuclear and we all know how they FEEL about that. :crackup:
Hello; Quotes from the link.

"Now for a dose of reality."
"While Betavoltaic batteries are feasible, they are very expensive, 1 gram of radioactive Nickel-63 costs around 4,000 USD. Tritium Betavoltaic batteries are already available (for military applications), however, though cheaper than Nickel-63 they are also expensive. "

"These are Beta emitters. A piece of paper will stop the radiation. Original applications were for cardiac pacemakers. However, this was replaced by lithium batteries."

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
"Now for a dose of reality."
I figured, too good to be true.

It's hard to compete with a liquid gallon that can propel a 3000 pound car 30 miles.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
radioactive isotope is hardly new and not nuclear.
Hello; I think I understand what you attempt to say with this comment. Not the more dangerous sort of radioactive material such as spent waste from a fission reactor. However, in a technical sense still nuclear.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; I think I understand what you attempt to say with this comment. Not the more dangerous sort of radioactive material such as spent waste from a fission reactor. However, in a technical sense still nuclear.
Exactly. That certainly brought back memories. We were trying to use particle emissions passing through a fresnel zone plate to capture images of the human heart in real-time in 1977. How things have changed. Never thought they would use the same principles to generate electricity.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
What Happened With The 'Stranded Teslas' EV Charging Panic In Chicago (msn.com)

Hello; After a quick read of the link I came away with the impression it is a weak attempt to put some lipstick on that particular pig. I can follow to a degree the attempt to call out owner/operator error. For most these EV's will have new procedures to learn and digest. Not so clear to me how driving to a charger from personal memory can be considered an operator error.
Operator error will not cover dead chargers, of which there were several, or the built in effect of cold on an EV.
But if you are interested have a read and judge for yourself.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. That certainly brought back memories. We were trying to use particle emissions passing through a fresnel zone plate to capture images of the human heart in real-time in 1977. How things have changed. Never thought they would use the same principles to generate electricity.
Hello; I was already deep into a Biology major by my junior year in 1967 when I discovered a like for physics. I took as many physics classes as I could fit in the last two years including some radiation physics. Not enough hours to really use but worth the effort. Memories as you say.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Hello; After a quick read of the link I came away with the impression it is a weak attempt to put some lipstick on that particular pig. I can follow to a degree the attempt to call out owner/operator error. For most these EV's will have new procedures to learn and digest. Not so clear to me how driving to a charger from personal memory can be considered an operator error.
Operator error will not cover dead chargers, of which there were several, or the built in effect of cold on an EV.
Hello; Within minutes of posting the above another similarly themed link. Nothing subtle in this one.
As frigid weather strands electric vehicles, one Tesla speaks out: 'This ain't my fault!' (msn.com)

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i

That's another reason I don't like Musk... Tesla always seems to be blowing smoke up your ass! Even if there was some sort of operator error (unlikely as hell), you can't expect people to have to relearn everything they have been doing their whole life just to drive an EV.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have the perfect solution for the battery problem!
They are talking about electric roads. Wonder how much that will cost?
Sponsored