Electric for everyone - the impossible dream

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Osage Nation Wins Big as Judge Rules Wind Farms on Tribal Land Must Be Dismantled (msn.com)
Hello; Speaking of costs, a lot of value is about to be lost for a wind farm outfit. Not so sure I like the basis for the ruling. That being a mining lease infraction. But I get it better than the EPA ruling that bees are fish. Guess when the holes were dug to allow for the massive concrete bases of the wind turbines that was part of mining. That the dug out rock was crushed and used added to the distinction.

As the author pointed out it was a property rights issue. Good for other property owners in that some of the places suited for wind farms will be off limits if the owners do not want them.

I likely am wrong about the place, but my point is the wealthy landowners have prevented wind farms offshore because it would spoil their view. Maybe the Hamptons??? Anyway, seems the land rights of other cannot be run over roughshod.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Watching the local news out of Knoxville TN. They announced that TVA generated over 34,000 mega watts yesterday.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Unbelievable! Tesla plows through deep waters in San Diego leaving bystanders in shock | Watch (msn.com)
Hello; So far I recognize one advantage of an EV over an ICE. That has been the instant sort of torque which can be applied. A stop light to stop light advantage I have little use for myself.

There may be another advantage. The deep-water drivability without apparent serious mods. I get an ICE can be modified to go into deep water, but the link may be a stock Tesla. I would like to know how the car faired beyond the video. Di the doors leak water into the cabin? Did the car have problems soon after? I suspect this is a dubious advantage.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The Federal Government Wants to Open More than 20 Million Acres for Solar Projects in the West. How Will it Impact Wildlife? (msn.com)
Hello; Not exactly new information in general. It is known for decades that the western area of the USA is more suited for solar farms. It is also known that huge acreage of solar panels will be needed to make a dent in power generation needed to replace coal, oil and natural gas.

One of my thoughts has been why not use solar, wind, tidal and other non fossil fuel energy production in conjunction with fossil fuels. There may be days when such "green" energy sources can carry much of the load. This would reduce the use of fossil fuels by some positive amount many hours per day on an intermittent but useful amount. Even keeping the older type of generation around for backup will still see an overall benefit.

Same strategy could be applied to EV's. They work well enough in some settings and where they do work will reduce emissions by whatever amount EV's actually work out to achieve. Maybe in city areas or for suburbs with short enough commutes where homeowners can have home chargers. What ever percentage EV's wind up at should help if the hype about their green credentials proves true.
Might take a few million ICE out of service or at a reduced level of service. Afraid the no fossil fuels or related derived by products just is not sensible. I was young when plastics started to take over packaging. What will replace all the plastic we use day to day. From food containers to medical supplies. I can recall getting my shots before going to scout camp. The nurse used a glass syringe onto which was fastened a stainless needle. These could autoclaved and reused. They were also a bigger gauge than the throwaway used today.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Hello; Another warning likely to fall on deaf ears. Afraid my concern of having a "do without" future is still relevant.
I've been saying the same for years. They are closing power plants and not replacing with the same or more power generating capacity.

Meanwhile we are building more homes, warehouses and factories along with coming EV mandates.

Reducing supply and increasing demand is never a good thing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Reducing supply and increasing demand is never a good thing
a certain someone promised that his intent was to make electricity cost as much as your mortgage. It was necessary to "reshape" the country, see.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
a certain someone promised that his intent was to make electricity cost as much as your mortgage. It was necessary to "reshape" the country, see.
Hello; Some decades ago, and off &on since studies have determined possibly as much as a 25% saving reduction in power use from simple conservation alone. The messages being we "waste" that much in our day to day lives of indulgences.
For much of those decades there was no known mechanism to enforce a reduction of electric power. Now there are mechanisms. One example is my water heater circuit. The local power company can and does shut off power to my Water heater from time to time. Often daily. I do not know if the capacity for other such things is currently present. I do know my house has a meter which is read remotely.

I suspect the "smart" devices in our homes either already have or will soon have similar remote control capacity. I can see my old heat pump needing to be replaced before long. My unit is the same as was in my brothers house but even older. He had to have a new unit installed. I have not asked if they installed a smart thermostat. He likes that sort of technology, so likely went along. I still have simple mercury filled thermostat which uses a bi-metal coil to operate the heat and/or AC.

I think this "certain someone" is comfortable in the notion he will never have to endure the results of his actions. I also figure there is a cult of sorts who surround and color his perceptions. A slim hope for the rest of us is they are playing too strong of a hand too early. For me and i suspect you, we are not fooled by the hype. The "reshaped" country will not be a pleasant place in which to live.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Reducing supply and increasing demand is never a good thing.
Hello; On top of already present demand a huge number of illegals, in the millions, have been added to the demand side of the scales. The effects of such a sudden increase in numbers is no longer hidden. I do not know what the figure may be but am confident there is a base energy demand for every person inside our boundaries.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Not going to look it up right now but Volvo has stopped funding it's EV division.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Not going to look it up right now but Volvo has stopped funding it's EV division.
Hello; Saw something about that also. Not sure how this will work out for Volvo. Best i can recall Volvo pretty much went all in for EV's a couple years back. I seem to recall reading as how the ICE engine building was made a separate company but still connected. The EV division is called Polestar I think.
We had an EV champion member of the forum posting briefly some months ago. Was his name Martin? Anyway he claimed to be a consultant or some such for Polestar. Had decent information as i recall. Did not like being called a champion as i recall. He might know more but has not posted in a while.

Zullusman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
"Electric for everyone - the impossible dream" resonates with many of us. I remember when I first considered switching to an EV, it felt like a leap into the unknown. But then, I stumbled upon a commercial EV charging station during a long drive. That experience reassured me that the infrastructure is growing, making electric vehicles more accessible to everyone.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Making electric options accessible to everyone can seem like a huge mountain to climb. But you know what they say, even the biggest dreams start with a single step. It's all about taking those small strides, whether it's advocating for policy changes or supporting affordable electric vehicle options.
As if pissing into the wind were as simple as starting the stream.
Sponsored